MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 18-05-04, 19:55

Default Root cause

Hanno as usual you put your virtual finger on the spot, it's all a bit too soon for some of us

Cautious of Oxford
PS Calling Sunray see you Saturday you have much to answer for !!
Old 18-05-04, 20:22
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Root cause

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
PS Calling Sunray see you Saturday you have much to answer for !!

Old 18-05-04, 22:51
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Root cause

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Surely that should be:

R.
Old 18-05-04, 23:23
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Root cause

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
Hanno as usual you put your virtual finger on the spot, it's all a bit too soon for some of us
Pete: too soon? Do you mean "too soon" in the sense why Top Gear's test report on the McLaren Mercedes SLR was funny?

Jeremy Clarkson: "The story goes that when Mercedes and McLaren engineers heard the sound of the SLR's V8 engine, the British engineers said "It sounds like a Spitfire!" - the German engineers argued "Nein, nein, it sounds like a Messerschmidt!".

H.
Old 19-05-04, 00:51
In Vino Veritas

Default There is a...

...Rolls powered ME109 in the Winnipeg Aviation museum, I think it was from the Spanish airforce . It should solve the Spit/ME controversy.
And as to Frankfurt, in '88 I was there and the two 6 foot 12 guards in full combat kit carring MP5'S with what looked like a Berretta 9mm sidearm and with their sense of humour genetically removed and what appeared to be either terminal heartburn or constipation, certainly threw any cold water on our joviality.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 19-05-04, 08:25
Richard Notton

Default Re: There is a...

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowtractor
...Rolls powered ME109 in the Winnipeg Aviation museum, I think it was from the Spanish airforce . It should solve the Spit/ME controversy.
Ah, That'd be a Hispano HA1112 Buchon, post war build of Bf109G airframe with a RR Merlin 500/45 engine, early ones had a Hispano engine too.

Quote:

And as to Frankfurt, in '88 I was there and the two 6 foot 12 guards in full combat kit carring MP5'S with what looked like a Berretta 9mm sidearm and with their sense of humour genetically removed and what appeared to be either terminal heartburn or constipation, certainly threw any cold water on our joviality.
Sean
Certainly they're not all like that, the people I know personally have a huge sense of humor and jocularity. Errrrrrr, maybe that's why I know them personally, hmmmmm.

You'll find both (London) Heathrow and Gatwick largely similar now with a very visible police presence, flak jackets and the H&K at the ready, they're not jocular either.

Knowing the sardine like packing of these airports I have always wondered why they carry machine pistols, except as a frightener. If it came to using one here people would be going down like mowing the grass.

In a recent, and excellent, behind the scenes series on the workings of Heathrow, we saw an American book in for a return flight to Chicago with his violin case - "What's in the case sir?" said the desk girlie.
"Oh, my Tommy gun" he said with some humour.
"Take a seat for a moment, sir" said the desk girlie.

In seconds the H&K armed Plod arrived in pairs and wouldn't see the funny side at all, off he went in cuffs to the local nick for a full check-out and a night in the cells, finally arriving home 24hrs late.

Easiest route through an airport now is; yes sir, no sir; three bags full sir.

R.
Old 22-05-04, 14:27

And just for balance the quicker the UK fully enters into Europe the better. As it stands now we have a Prime Minister obsessed with his place in history and being forced to hang on to Americas coat tails in Iraq. Pursuing polices opposed by the majority of the population. He is not wanted even by his own party and his days are numbered. Britain is part of Europe and we should look to the future with parners who will listen to what we want instead of dragging us along behind them on every issue. Can anyone say the UK's policy in Iraq is sane? Or even that we have a policy. We should find the backbone France did and stand up to the US Imperialism.
Old 06-06-05, 18:29
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: One more for the pot

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
"But there's more: according to the Eurobarometer the Dutch are the least attached to Europe of all Europeans. Merely 29% of the Dutch says to feel involved with the EU, 68% says they feel "not much" or "not at all" involved with Europe. The Dutch even think more negative about Europe than the British, where 51% feel "not much" or "not at all" involved with Europe."
Matches nicely with the outcome of our referendum (with an 62.8% turnout!), in which 61.6% voted against a European constitution.

I now see some of Europe's political leaders are chickening out stating there's no need to ask their people's opinion on this subject since France and Holland have said no already
I'm sorry Mr Tony Teflon, but I'd like to know the opinion of the British people on this subject before we spend many more years trying to amend the current constitution, which - mind you - the parliaments curently in power have accepted already.

H.
Old 06-06-05, 19:15
Commonwealth NOT Europe

My response is that it's the best thing the French have ever done, bar none, and about the first useful thing they've ever acheived. My thanks to the Dutch, who have also kicked it out showing that they also have an above average amount of common sense; whilst we apparently do not need a referendum because Tony knows best. I didn't vote for him before, didn't this time, and the only time I wouldn't miss him I'd be using a rifle!
His attitude to the people of this country is just so bloody arrogant, and veering more towards Orwell's 'Big Brother' every week. If he does stand down in favour of Gordon 'short arms and long pockets' Brown then we're really f****d because he is so pro-Brussels he's already got his pen out to sign us up for anything expensive and useless.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 06-06-05, 20:06
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default Clog power

Yeah Hanno, that was fun!

Makes you wonder what would have happened if they 'd bother to ask us back in the fifities when they started the whole thing...

Anyway, my own tribe, the Rotterdammers, voted even more clearly: over two-thirds of NEEs (my place of birth ended up at over 70%)! This happens when your government tells you to vote yes.

Hey, I thought we NEEs had lost after hearing state radio and watching state television all day. They seemed to portray only those folks that said: "well, I woke up this morning and felt responsible and decided to vote JA after all", or: "it seems all higher educated people will vote JA", etc, etc.

Right, now let's get our guilder back...

Greetings from NEE-derland!
Old 06-06-05, 21:34
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
My response is that it's the best thing the French have ever done, bar none, and about the first useful thing they've ever acheived.
YESSSSSSSSS
Quote:
My thanks to the Dutch, who have also kicked it out showing that they also have an above average amount of common sense;
It's been my experience that you can rely on Dutch sensibility, they have not failed here.
Quote:
whilst we apparently do not need a referendum because Tony knows best.
The sigh of relief from No.10 must have almost exploded the building, I for one would like to record my displeasure via a referendum to Mr. Blair.
Quote:
I didn't vote for him before, didn't this time, and the only time I wouldn't miss him I'd be using a rifle!
It is unlikely we'd both miss. . . . . . . .
Quote:
His attitude to the people of this country is just so bloody arrogant, and veering more towards Orwell's 'Big Brother' every week. If he does stand down in favour of Gordon 'short arms and long pockets' Brown then we're really f****d because he is so pro-Brussels he's already got his pen out to sign us up for anything expensive and useless.
It would seem Dave and I have the same hymn sheet, and likely, several tens of millions Englishmen too.

R.
Old 06-06-05, 23:09
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
It would seem Dave and I have the same hymn sheet, and likely, several tens of millions Englishmen too.

R. [/B]
I'd go even further - anyone that gives away even one letter of our law-making ability, our financial independence, or our governmental process to anyone not directly elected by the British people,or to anyone not of British decent (regardless though of colour or religion) ; should be taken in through Traitors Gate early in the morning to meet a masked man with a large axe.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 06-06-05, 23:38
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
I'd go even further - anyone that gives away even one letter of our law-making ability, our financial independence, or our governmental process to anyone not directly elected by the British people,or to anyone not of British decent (regardless though of colour or religion) ; should be taken in through Traitors Gate early in the morning to meet a masked man with a large axe.
Quite so, and as is provided for in Magna Carta and the Bill of Rights 1689.

R.
Old 07-06-05, 02:33
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Quite so, and as is provided for in Magna Carta and the Bill of Rights 1689.

R.
If those laws apply in Canada ,and I suppose they do..whose job is it to start lining up those lilly livered,lickspital,potlicking traiters in our parliment that give the shop away and sell us down the river every time they open their greedy slobering mouths..
There should be at least 200 MPS wandering around parliament hill with no heads..
There is already that many with no damned brains so missing a little useless meat off their shoulders wouldn't be a bad thing..
Social standings...
murderers ,rapists,drug dealers,child molesters,lawyers,polititions...
THis is the best possible use for a politition..
http://www.funnyclicks.com/pictures02/67.jpg
IMHO