MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 26-02-19, 04:12

Default 40 NOS Cadillac Flathead Engines $5,000.00

Not mine!

On Kijiji in Toronto, https://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-...teLocale=en_CA

Quote:
40 NOS Cadillac Flathead V8 engines. All complete with transmissions. These are all army surplus engines. Some are still in the crates and with original Cadillac frame stands. Shipping may take up to 4-8 weeks with a 1/2 down deposit and 1/2 upon boarder crossing. These are for serious inquiries only and for serious collectors. Very rare and almost impossible to find let alone in the complete condition they are in. 3 sold in one day. These will not last long. Perfect for any old school rods and a masterpiece for engine. These engines were the iconic hot rod engines in the mid and early 50’s.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4793.JPG   IMG_4794.JPG   IMG_4795.JPG  
Old 26-02-19, 09:29
Alastair McMurray

That's a bargin.

Under Restoration:
1944 No2 MK2 Loyd Carrier - Tracked Towing
1944 Ford WOT6 Lorry

The Loyd on Facebook
Old 26-02-19, 19:04
MLU Administrator

I am betting on these being ex-Armoured Carrier / Penguin stock

http://www.mapleleafup.nl/t16carrier...nowmobile.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	6D062FA0-A997-404A-81A1-D7C903EE4A7F.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	105772
Old 26-02-19, 21:13

Default May be military or civilian

I'm looking at the transmission in the picture and it looks like a manual transmission. Not fat enough for the automatic, nor dose it have the oil sump, plus it has two shift linkages. My bet is that these are rebuilds, the two in the photos look to have been cleaned up and painted, new hoses and belts.

Even if they are true NOS they would or should be taken apart and cleaned, though they might just fire up with new oil and gas.

Now if somebody finds a bunch of NOS 337 Ford truck engines for $5000 each I'd like one. If somebody finds 216, 235, 261 in this condition I would be interested. The $5000 is just about what you could expect to pay to have an engine like this overhauled if not more.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 26-02-19, 22:31

Talked with the fellow offering the motors, he said he has 3 different applications civilian car, Military (Tank) and industrial, as wel as lot of NOS parts distributors, carbs etc etc. He said it was a relatives estate that he is cleaning up. Nice guy, his telephone # is 1-416-688-7479.
Old 27-02-19, 00:00

Default That explains things

Hi James

That information sheds a lot of light and explains an awful lot. The engines are from a collector like us, we can understand that kind of nuts. Purfect explination for 40 Cadillac engines. Given the information you got hope he is able to get good fair value for a life of collecting.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 27-02-19, 00:56

Phil, isn't the 337 ? the very large flathead engine Ford built for both cars and trucks! If that is the case ( and you need one ) I have one available with nos parts. The transmissions on the yellow engine look like the hydramatic of military application, green painted looks non military.
BP
Old 28-02-19, 14:38

I have a Cadillac flathead V-8 car engine with Hydramatic, both rebuilt and never used. It's in a '47 Cadillac sedan. I also have a '42 Cadillac sedan. My plan was to build the '42 as a staff car, using the '47 for parts, but I got old and this is one of the projects I've admitted I won't finish (or even start).

One of the previous owners of the '47 is supposed to have paid $7000 to have the engine and transmission rebuilt, and there's been quite a bit of inflation since then. I was planning to ask $3500 for everything, half the price of the rebuild, but judging by the comments in this thread, I should ask for a lot more. Now $3500 sounds dirt cheap, even if you just wanted the engine and transmission and planned to throw away the cars. You could probably recover a large part of your cost by parting out the cars and end up with an engine and transmission for next to nothing.

The cars are in southwestern Ontario, between Windsor and London.
Old 01-03-19, 21:04

Default Yup F-8 Ford Truck and Lincoln basically the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Phillips View Post
Phil, isn't the 337 ? the very large flathead engine Ford built for both cars and trucks! If that is the case ( and you need one ) I have one available with nos parts. The transmissions on the yellow engine look like the hydramatic of military application, green painted looks non military.
BP

Hi Bob

Thanks for the response, yes the Ford truck 337 and the Lincoln 337 as used in model years 49,50,51 are nearly identical with the truck having solid adjustable valve lifters, and the Lincoln having hydraulic valve lifters. Big hunks of engine and transmission weight over 900 lbs.

My comment about wanting one is a bit to tongue and cheek if I could find a NOS one that would not need to be rebuilt that would probably be cheaper than rebuilding one. I have two Lincoln engines that need overhauling to be put back in the car I'm currently restoring. One of the two is from my fathers 49 Lincoln and was fully hot rod in the day and is already bored out to 350 cubic inches. The other engine is original to the car 62845 miles on the odometer.

May I keep your offer in mind as I get into my engines this summer?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 02-03-19, 01:27

Hi Phil
Sounds like quite a project.
It must be quite a bit overbored to jump up to a 350!! The engine here is a truck varient, big and heavy ( no trany) but with a carb that appears identical
to the type on a GMC M135.
Its here if you need it (pig in a poke).
BP
Old 02-03-19, 08:25
MLU Administrator

Also listed here:

https://www.hemmings.com/parts/item/...tml?refer=news