MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 31-10-10, 15:41

Default Flathead adjustable lifters

I was just wondering whether anyone out there has had experience of fitting adjustable lifters in the flathead V8? Point being that last time I did this job I had use of a Black and decker valvemaster which made the job easier, but everytime you ground the valve and seat you had a long and drawn out job to then grind the stem to the correct clearance for the tappets. It seems a good idea to fit these but maybe its a gimmick and once my job is done, its not as though I will be doing it every other months.........i hope!
Old 01-11-10, 02:33

Default Adjustable Lifters

Check the lifters used in Ford 8n-9n tractor engines, which are adjustable. A hole can be drilled in the block's lifter bore that allows a pin to be inserted to keep the lifter from rotating, while a thin wrench is used to turn the adjuster bolt on the lifter for proper lash.Certainly alot handier than the old way !
Kirk Armitage
Old 01-11-10, 15:01
Richard Harrison

the only thing with adjustable items like you mention is the worry of something vibrating loose and screwing the engine up, perhaps i am neurotic about these things but it would always be in the back of my mind having built numerous high performance engines for rally cross i am somewhat a fanickerty pain in the date when it comes to these things have blown up more money than i should ever have been allowed too. plus personally if holes are to be drilled in the block would put me off a tad..... ideal if your engine is already in bits on the bench of course

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 01-11-10, 15:08

Good advice. To be honest, I am being a bit lasy but now I have stripped the engine all but the valves, I think I will do it as it was done originally. It may well be that as the engine had little use since I last ground the valves and set the tappets all it needs is a relap which is not a big job. Just awaiting me finding the tools to take out the valves. I have just taken out the crank and the front two mains were down to the copper, so it is just as well I did this. The shells have Ford USA T and 0. I assume, please tell me if I am wrong that this means standard? thanks for the comments and advice.
Old 11-11-10, 07:20

Default Re adjustable tappets for Ford V8

There are 2 types of adjustable tappets redily available, One type has an adjustable screw and a locknut but requires special spanners to get to the end ones, the type I used required drilling the block into the camfolower bore. I used a drill with a right angle head which made the job a lot easier. I have since done the valves on an engine for my carrier. It took more than a day to do them as the valve machine was 1/2 a km away. Next time I will fit a set of adjustibles! they are available from outlets here in Aus. John
Old 11-11-10, 13:57
David Pope

The adjustable lifters for a flattie are foolproof. They're a lot easier to adjust than the other way and never give any trouble.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2