MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 31-05-07, 18:17

Default General WW2 Topic

My uncle, Charles Otto Donahue, was one of the Glengarrys, but unfortunately he was killed towards the end of the hostilities. He is buried in Groesbeek War Cemetery, Nr Nijmegen, Holland.

Clive Donahue,
Cheshire U.K.
Old 31-05-07, 22:35
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: General WW2 Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by clivedonahue
My uncle - Charles Otto Donahue, was one of the Glengarrys, but unfortunately he was killed towards the end of the Hostilities.
He is buried in Groosbeek War Cemetary, Nr Njimagen, Holland.

Clive Donahue,
Cheshire U.K.
Hi Clive;

I don't know exactly what your looking for, but here is some information regarding your uncle:

G 60733 Private CHARLES OTTO DONAHUE - died on March 4, 1945
Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders

Book of Remembrance - Second World War - page 510 - eighth name down in the left hand column
http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/content/col...0&lang=English

GROESBEEK CANADIAN WAR CEMETERY
The Netherlands
Grave Reference: XXI. D. 8.

Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery Plan:
http://198.103.134.15/cm_image/2063900.gif

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 31-05-07, 22:55

Default This is from the SDGH Regimental history.

The next day the battalion left Udem to participate in the Hochwald operation.

Having fought through the bottleneck of the Reichswald, attention was now turned to the Hochwald-Labbeck position in which the 30th British Corps and the 2nd Canadian Corps attacked on the right and left respectively. By this time the enemy had been able to deploy over 700 mortars and 1,000 guns to concentrate on the points on penetration and to support his by this time reeling, but still determined, soldiers. Although forced to withdraw from the south edge of the Hochwald forest the enemy had now taken up previously-dug defensive positions. These were supported and held in strength by troops of the German Seventh Paratroop Division and were directly supported by mortars, rockets, 88mm guns and heavy artillery.

The concentration area of the Glens was under fire by the mortars, artillery and rockets, so the men dug in for the night, having been ordered by Brigade that no move be made until well after first light. Private John F. Roffey was killed and six men were wounded before the attack went in.

Actually, the battalion only left for the starting line at 18.45 hours on the 4th March, "A" Company on the right, "C" in the centre, and "D" on the left, with "B" Company in battalion reserve. Major Thompson ("C" Company) was wounded in the leg on the starting line. The advance began across nine hundred yards of open ground. Fortunately, the Glens set out about half an hour late, because flank companies and the Highland Light Infantry of Canada were not in position; the Germans plastered the whole area of open ground in that half hour with mortar and artillery fire.

The attack of "A" Company led south from the perimeter of the Hochwald, across the open ground. Shortly after crossing the starting line the left-hand platoon was pinned down by machine gun fire and a concentration of bazookas; half of the platoon were knocked out. Lieutenant Stephen, seeing this, therefore struck with his platoon toward the right flank of the company's objective. The enemy immediately tried to break up this attack with machine gun fire from four dug-in positions, and forced the platoon to the ground. Lieutenant Stephen crawled forward at grave personal risk up to the enemy position and cleared out a machine gun nest with No.36 grenades. The platoon moved forward and, fighting furiously, they gained a foothold on the company objective.

When Lieutenant Stephen had consolidated on the objective, the enemy counterattacked and overran his rear section, killing the Bren gun crew. They then took up positions in an anti-tank ditch and continued to shell the platoon position. Lieutenant Stephen, securing a Bren gun, courageously fought his way to the overrun rear section, killing five and wounding eight Germans, and forcing the remainder to withdraw. His magnificent leadership in this engagement was an inspiration to all around him, and earned for him the Military Cross.

Corporal Melvin Coulas took command of No. 8 Platoon, which had suffered severe casualties, including the platoon commander. In the midst of withering crossfire from four enemy machine guns and through intense mortar bombardment, he quickly reorganized the men, killed and routed the enemy and reached his platoon's objective. While consolidating the position the enemy attacked in force, driving one section from its position. Once again, under direct fire, Corporal Coulas led his men, killing eight and wounding fifteen of the enemy, causing such confusion that they were forced to withdraw. His initiative and determination were in the highest tradition of the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders.

Meanwhile, No. 7 Platoon had gone down a narrow track road and found it honeycombed with German infantry. One section cleared the right side and another the left. Then they came under heavy fire from some houses 75 yards in front, and attacked with Bren guns until PIATs came up to give added force to the argument. Corporal George Phillips got hit in this fracas, and by the time the situation was in hand there were only twelve men in the Platoon still unscathed.

"B" Company went through before the Germans counterattacked but could not fire because "A" Company was in the line of fire. On the other hand "A" Company could not see because of the glare of burning houses. It was here that Sergeant Charles A. Post of the carrier platoon showed gallantry and promptness of action. He was supporting "B" Company toward its objective when he noticed that it was unable to advance. He manoeuvred his carriers further to the flank where he saw an enemy self-propelled gun taking advantage of the situation. Completely disregarding the danger, he rallied the carriers and with the Brownings blazing he rushed the gun and set it on fire. When the Germans counterattacked during the night he held the fire of his guns, although under severe mortar fire, until the enemy was within 300 yards of the battalion forward positions. Then he opened up and the enemy was driven off, leaving many killed and wounded. For his gallantry he was awarded the Military Medal.

Help in driving off the counterattack also came from a 17-pounder on a tank and a 75mm on a tank with a co-ax Browning. The tank commander was wounded while firing the Browning from the top of his turret.

It was here, too that Private Graham "Red" Smith was mortally wounded. He hated to leave his unit, and as he was carried to the jeep ambulance he said, "When I write to you chaps from England, I want you to answer my letters." Poor Red never wrote; word came through in a few days that he had died from his wounds. Privates C.O. Donahue and P.E. Mills were also killed in this action.

The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada now relieved the Glens, who moved over to put on another attack going east. "C" Company got tied up with some opposition on its right. "A" Company was scheduled to go through "C" Company but could not move until the situation was stabilized. Waiting in a ditch, they heard "D" Company fighting in front and left. There was some noise in the immediate front, so Captain John Palmer crawled up to see what it was. To his utter astonishment he saw two Germans changing guard in the best parade square style; he killed them both with his Sten gun.

"C" Company cleared its objectives at first light and "A" Company went through them, while "B" Company went through "D" Company clearing the rest of the forest. In the afternoon the Royal Winnipeg Rifles went through the Glengarrians to their left and they were later relieved by the Glens. Some tanks of the 4th Armoured Division, which was working down toward Sonsbeek came into the Glens area to shell down into the valley.

In the quick movement of battle there were things noticed by participants that must be recorded. Private Joe Powers took over Corporal Phillips1 section until he was hit by a piece of shrapnel. Private Ossie Savoie got a bullet in his head through his steel helmet. When he was being carried out, every time shells came down Private Smith (No. 7 Platoon) threw himself over Savoie to protect him. Privates Len Murray, Van Brunt and Allan were overrun by the Germans and lost their machine guns. They played dead all night and were rescued by Lieutenant Stephen in the morning. Sergeant Norm Taylor (Acting Company Sergeant-Major) carried up a terrific load of forty bandoliers of ammunition. Fighting was so intense that the entire supply of PIAT bombs was exhausted. Due to the conditions of the road and the number of vehicles stuck in the mire the evacuation of the wounded was exceedingly difficult.

Fatal casualties included Lieutenant H.C. McWilliam and Privates L.C. Kaun, Kenneth R. Meehan, O.J. Savoie and Malcolm A. Ross. Private W.C. Rhamey died on the 9th of March of wounds received on the 22nd of July 1944.
Old 31-05-07, 23:20

Default General WW2

Thanks Mark Tonner for the info regarding the book of Rememberance which I did not consider.
Also Thanks to Mark W Toner for the info on the Hochwald Operation.
I was just hoping that someone might have some specific information about my uncle Charles involvement.

clive donahue.
Old 04-08-07, 16:59

Hello Clive and John,
I have been trying to find out information about my uncle, Lieut. Hugh Campbell McWilliam of the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, who is listed in the files as 'wounded and died of wounds 5 March 1945'. I know he was a platoon leader and from what you have posted from the Glens' history, John, he may have been the leader of Melvin Coulas' platoon as it states that his platoon commander was a casuaty. The family, that is my grandparents and Hugh's sister, my mother, were never told the circutmstances of his death, although there was talk of his being shot by a sniper.
There is one interesting story about all this. That day or the next as replacement troops marched by, one noticed that some casualties were lying covered by the roadside. One had a hand showing and on it was a Queen's ring (from Queen's university in Kingston, Ontario). One soldier knew that another who would be coming by later had gone to Queen's and when he came by asked if he knew the dead soldier. He had been my uncle's roommate at Queen's in 1940 and hadn't seen him since they had graduated in 1941.
I am named after my uncle.
If anyone knows anything about his death, or anything else for that matter, I would very much like to hear about it.
One other point. In Terry Copp's latest book, Cinderella Army, there is a picture of some Glens (the date is incorrect...it states 1944 when it should state 1945...I have confirmed this with Terry Copp). My uncled is near themiddle- back of the picture, wearing a balmoral (Ithink that is what it is called.
Old 06-08-07, 17:59

Default Picture of some Glens

The picture I refer to in my earlier posting (from February 1945)can be viewed on line by going to the National Archives of Canada web site and typing in 'PA 145774' into the search button. A thumbnail of the photo will come up and by double clicking on it, you can see a full screen picture. You may be able to recognize some of the men of the Stormont Dundas and Glengarrry Highlanders.
Old 06-08-07, 18:45
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Picture of some Glens

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Reid
The picture I refer to in my earlier posting (from February 1945)can be viewed on line by going to the National Archives of Canada web site and typing in 'PA 145774' into the search button. A thumbnail of the photo will come up and by double clicking on it, you can see a full screen picture. You may be able to recognize some of the men of the Stormont Dundas and Glengarrry Highlanders.
Hi Hugh;

Do you mean this photo:

Source: Library and Archives Canada:

Description found in Archives: Infantrymen of the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders aboard a Buffalo amphibious vehicle near Mehr, Germany, 11 February 1945
Date(s): February 11, 1945 , Place of publication: Mehr, Germany (vicinity)
Credit: Capt. Colin C. McDougall / Canada. Dept. of National Defence / Library and Archives Canada / PA-145774
Attached Thumbnails
a145774-v6 sd&g.jpg  
Old 06-08-07, 21:54

Yes, Mark, that is the picture I mean. My uncle is the man in the middle near the back wearing his balmoral straight on his head, not on an angle as the furthest man is. This picture is in Terry Copp's, Cinderalla Army (with an incorect date of Feb. 1944 instead of 1945).
Old 06-08-07, 22:17
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
My uncle is the man in the middle near the back wearing his balmoral straight on his head, not on an angle as the furthest man is.
Hi Hugh;

My Uncle, Herb Arnold also served with the SD&G: -
Attached Thumbnails
herb30oct44.jpg  
Old 06-08-07, 23:10

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the picture. Two things: did you see my posting about my uncle in the thread started by Clive Donaghue (if my memory serves me)...you posted something from the Glens' history about the night of 4-5 March.
Have you seen a DVD by Greg Pollard entitled Glens Memorial. Glen lives in Cornwall and is quite involved with the Glens Association (he even wrote a book about his uncle, Lance Corporal George Pollard who was murdered at the Abbaye d'Ardenne called Missing). Greg has put together a slide show of all the Glens who died in the war. It is very well done.

Hugh
Old 09-08-07, 02:47
Gregory Pollard

Default Private Charles Otto Donahue

Hello Clive,
I am the nephew of L/Cpl. George Pollard of the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders. My uncle was murdered on June 17, 1944, at the Abbaye d'Ardenne at the hands of German soldiers under the command of Major- General Kurt Meyr of the 25th Panzer Grenadier Regiment. His body is the only one not found out of the twenty Canadian soldiers killed at the Abbaye.

I have been working on a huge project for the Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry Highlanders for the past three years. At the Glens reunion every year in June, a list of names of the Glens killed overseas are read. Your uncle Pte. Charles Otto Donahue is on this list.

I am trying to find photos of all the Glens for a DVD slideshow. So far I have 119 photos, and 172 gravemarkers out of 331 slides.
Do you have a photo of your uncle for the slideshow?
Please let me know if you can help.

I noticed in the regimental history that Pte. Percy Elmore Mills was killed in the same action as your uncle I have a photo of Pte. Mills, if you would like it I could send it to you. He was the son of Ainslie Brenton and Lottie Lenora Mills, of Bramber, Hants County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Pte. Mills was 23 years- old when he was killed.

Sincerely,
Gregory Pollard
Old 09-08-07, 03:51
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Thumbs up

An outstanding post on outstanding work, Gregory. I commend your efforts and welcome you to MLU!

If there's anything we can help with, please don't hesitate to ask.
Old 09-08-07, 04:16
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Re: Private Charles Otto Donahue

Quote:
Originally posted by Gregory Pollard
Hello Clive,
I am the nephew of L/Cpl. George Pollard of the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders. My uncle was murdered on June 17, 1944, at the Abbaye d'Ardenne at the hands of German soldiers under the command of Major- General Kurt Meyr of the 25th Panzer Grenadier Regiment. His body is the only one not found out of the twenty Canadian soldiers killed at the Abbaye.Sincerely,
Gregory Pollard
Hi Gregory ... and welcome to you and the others in this thread!!!

I picked your post to reply to because I just wanted to say to you how very sorry I am to hear that your Uncle shared the same fate as mine, but in another spot and group by the Fontenay le Pesnel Rd with 35 others with him on June 8th. Mohnke is said to be the culprit responsible for my Uncles group, rather than Meyer. The Abbey events are awful from what I can remember Sometimes the events blur together of all the ones that happened in Normandy between D-Day and the 17th for me.

... and I'm also really sorry to hear that your Uncle's remains were never recovered for a proper burial and sendoff ... and visiting by family and friends.

Clive, Gregory, and Hugh ... I hope you find a lot of the answers you're hoping to find. I'm sure you'll find a lot in here, or through here.

Karmen
Old 09-08-07, 15:38

Hi Greg,
There are some interesting posts about the Glens in a thread I started (I didn't mean to start a new thread...but I did by accident ) in the WW2 Military History & Equipment...I had hoped to merely add to this thread. You might like to check it out.
Old 09-08-07, 15:59

Quote:
Hi Greg,
There are some interesting posts about the Glens in a thread I started (I didn't mean to start a new thread...but I did by accident ) in the WW2 Military History & Equipment...I had hoped to merely add to this thread. You might like to check it out.
I've combined the two threads into one, with this new Title. Hope this is easier to follow now!

Old 09-08-07, 17:56

Thanks, for combining these threads, Geoff. It is much easier to follow now. Sorry for the trouble.
Old 09-08-07, 17:58

No worries Hugh, goes with the job!
Old 09-08-07, 18:43

Question Dumb question

For those whom may be able to help answer a dumb question,

It says in the unit history shown here,
Quote:
Lieutenant Stephen crawled forward at grave personal risk up to the enemy position and cleared out a machine gun nest with No.36 grenades.......Lieutenant Stephen, securing a Bren gun, courageously fought his way to the overrun rear section, killing five and wounding eight Germans, and forcing the remainder to withdraw.
Please forgive my absolute ignorance, but, is this stating that infact Lieutenant Stephen actually undertook these marvellous deeds... or that the men under his charge did them?

Either way, an amazing effort.

I was just wondering, as it has always astounded me that its the officer whom is awarded for the unbelievable bravery of his men, when often he isn't even in the thick of battle. ( In the rear, with the gear! )

Pedr
Old 10-08-07, 05:53
Gregory Pollard

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
An outstanding post on outstanding work, Gregory. I commend your efforts and welcome you to MLU!

If there's anything we can help with, please don't hesitate to ask.
Hi Geoff,
Thank you for your kind words.
I hope you guys can help me with finding photos of the Glens that were killed overseas.
I would like to start a new thread for the search of these photos, if that would be ok.
While looking through the list the other day, I wondered how I was going to find the photos of the guys from England. Thanks to Hugh Reid I found the thread that Clive Donahue started. His uncle Pte. Charles Otto Donahue is one of the Glens on the list. Seeing that name gave me chills.
You have a great thing going on with MLU, I can see where it has helped many people find out about their relatives. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for letting me be part of MLU.
Gregory Pollard
"Up the Glens"
Old 10-09-08, 23:57

Default Stormont & Dundas & Glengarry Highlanders

Hi,
I recently visited Groosbeek Canadian War Cemetry in Nijmegen, Holland.
The Cemetry is very well maintained and keep lovely with gardens & flowers throughout.
I was able to take some picture of the Glens who are buried in a row together, all young mates together. These include, My uncle Charles Otto Donahue and alongside him is the grave of Private P.E.Mills and also G. Smith, L.C. Kaun, K.R. Meehan, J.F. Roffey, O.J. Savoie, Lt. McWilliam H.C, M.A.Ross and Pte Rhamey W.C.
I also visited a Memorial Centre Close by which lists all the solders from many different countries who were killed in the Market Garden Operation. Many items apertaining to the battles were on display as well as a scale model of Nijmegen and surrounding areas showing are the various "bridges" and 30 Corpes route to Arnhem. "Brings a Bridge to Far" into perspective.
I could only spend a couple of hours but there is so much to see and read a full day would have been better, perhaps next time.

clive donahue.
Old 11-09-08, 04:40
Gregory Pollard

Default Pte. Charles Otto Donahue

Hello Clive,

I will be leaving Sunday Sept. 14, for England. My trip will be for 17 days, it also includes France, Belgium and Holland. I will be with 50 Canadians, most of them are family members of SDG Highlanders from WWII.

We will be at Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery on Sunday Sept. 28. I will make sure to visit the grave of your uncle.

Sincerely,
Gregory Pollard
Old 03-09-17, 19:13

Default Charles Otto Donahue

Just noticed your post. Otto Donahue's mother, Mary Alice Baisley, was my great grandfather's sister. I'm doing family history - missing a lot on the Donahue's. Would be interested in touching base with you. I have a photo of Otto's headstone in Germany and his mother's here in New Brunswick, Canada.