Hi

Anyone?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/edmundston...153215373.html

Bueller? Bueller?

regards
Darrell
Old 30-04-14, 20:47
carrier mech

I think the estimate of a half million dollars to move it is a little far-fetched.
Old 30-04-14, 21:43
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default Lanc

I walked through this aircraft about 20 years ago and though that it looked like it was just parked. the shocking bit is thaat it wasn't vandalized - instruments, radios,etc were all just there....

Often wondered why it was not "gathered" with the Lanc inHamilton as a future project, or spares.

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 01-05-14, 03:19

Hi

I've heard stories that the town or someone went through a lot of trouble to get it there and wouldn't let it go. Maybe that's changed.

Quote:
...Lancaster KB882 was honourably retired at Dunnville, Ontario. On May 1st, 1964, the Crown Assets Disposal Corporation accepted a monetary offer from the City of Edmundston, NB for the purchase of the aircraft. Shortly after it was flown from DND 6 Repair Depot, Trenton, Ontario to Fredericton, N.B. where it waited for the Edmundston site to be completed. On July 14, 1964, Captain Joseph (Pepi) DiGiacinto, pilot; Flight Sgt Derek Miller, co-pilot; Gerry Flemming, radio operator; Captain Keith Wyatt, navigator and flight Engineer, Jim Cochrane brought KB882 in from her final flight. The crew touched down at the Edmundston Municipal Airport where she was mounted on a pedestal at St Jacques Airport in its last operational colours, (for a short while had been seen in wartime camouflage as 'NA-R' (Rabbit Stew)...
http://www.lancaster-archive.com/lanc_surv_kb882.htm

I've stopped and looked her over many times over my almost 50 years. Dad looooved to tow a Family and a Camping Trailer around the entire country when we were growing up....apparently this built our character!!

I agree that $500K is a bit much to move it.

regards
Darrell
Old 01-05-14, 09:05
HUP guy

Default Edmundston, N.B. Lancaster KB882

It will be a shame to see it go but KB882 (like any historic aircraft) deserves a better fate than sitting outside for 50 years.

The March/April 2003 Newsletter of the Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum has an extensive article on Canadian Lancasters.

http://atlanticcanadaaviationmuseum....01/mar2003.pdf

See pages 10-16 for the interesting story and pictures of the delivery of KB882 to Edmundston in July of 1964.

Brian
Old 01-05-14, 12:10
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default Maybe the Hamilton boys should see this...

Modification to Mk.,10P inlcuded 40 inch extension to the nose section to accommodate the AN/APS-42 navigation/weather radar, a can containing the UPD-501 passive intercept radar in the rear fuselage, an extensive array of antennas for radio.

"The bomb bay was fitted with two long-range fuel tanks and a pannier for baggage and spares."

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 01-05-14, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I think the estimate of a half million dollars to move it is a little far-fetched.
Not half as far-fetched as this statement: "This plane put an end to World War Two basically."
Old 01-05-14, 19:43

Hi

There may be an offer to save her.....apparently for parts though!:

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/newbrun...dsor-ont-group

regards
Darrell
Old 02-05-14, 00:47
3RD ECHELON WKSP

The transport cost does seem extraordinary.
I would think, that if an organization had all their ducks lined up, that the may be a company or two that would offer the transport as an act of good faith or perhaps to score some brownie points/advertising etc.
Moving something and having a place to put it or a plan to maintain it are very different things.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 19-03-15, 00:25
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Default New hope for KB-822

An aircraft engineer inspector had only given the Lanc another 5 years of exposure before it fell apart and became so much scrap... (I forgot to mention the site is powered by aging guinea pigs and garage sale equipment so it takes a while to open...budget cuts)

http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2015/03/18/u...er-to-survive/

Last edited by Marc Montgomery; 19-03-15 at 01:19.
Old 19-03-15, 01:21
HUP guy

Default Lancaster KB-882 Edmundston, NB

Marc,

This is very good news.

I drive by it several times a year so I will be sad to see it gone but it does need to be protected which was not happening there.

There is an earlier thread on this subject here:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...880#post194880

Brian
Old 19-03-15, 01:38
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Brian, where is she exactly? Maybe I can check her out before the move.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 19-03-15, 01:54
HUP guy

Default KB 882 location

Hi Chris,

KB882 is at the Edmundston, NB airport, located right on the Quebec / New Brunswick border. This is where Quebec Route 185 becomes Route 2 in NB.

Last year the new highway was realigned to the west a bit but you can easily find your way over to the airport.

Check it out before it leaves.

Brian

Last edited by Brian Gough; 19-03-15 at 02:45. Reason: spelling
Old 19-03-15, 02:10

Probably not going anwhere immediately..for one thing the maritimes are experiencing a blizzard right now after a year of record snowfall..about the 17th blizzard this season.. I think it will be late spring/summer before anything happens.
I am personally very glad it's going to the Alberta Aviation Museum..where it will be indoors and get a good restoration...especially since in just a few more years it would have collapsed -according to the expert..and the nose section broken off
Sad thing is, this was flying when parked..with the right money and care over the years it could have been the third flying example left...but even in the 1960s I guess not that many people were thinking that these war relics should -or were worthy- of restoration/preservation.
Old 21-03-15, 17:34

Hopefully, Marc, if the corrosion can at least be stopped now, it becomes a future possible candidate for full restoration. Sadly, too many people do not realize that aluminium does indeed corrode over time. If I recall correctly, the Lancaster that used to sit on a pylon on the Toronto water front for many years suffered a similar fate. Unnatural stresses from the pylon mount and salt from the nearby roads pretty much broke its back over time.

I suspect the Nanton Alberta Lancaster or one in England, both of which are currently under restoration for full powered taxi capability, could be the next flyers. When you get an airframe to that level of restoration, it is a lot smaller leap to full flight, though probably the more expensive part of the journey.

Be interesting to find out how many of the survivors in Canada have actual combat records from the war. If this one is the only one, I have a bit of difficulty with the Albeta group wanting to use it as a post war representative.

David
Old 21-03-15, 18:35

Whatever happened to the TO exhibition Lanc??
I tend to agree with you...as this has an actual war record I personally would prefer to see it restored in its war colours.... but you know..this is Canada and wars are such nasty things...most Canadians dont want to be reminded..
(standing on soap box) Very little of our history of course is even taught in schools, history is only mandatory in four provinces...and in Quebec..its Quebec history and rather nuanced propaganda so Im not sure that even counts...(ive seen the grade school history books and homework !!!!)

Also a great many Canadians came from somewhere else so yours and my Canadian history,,isn't really theirs in the same sense...

On the practical side.. it's probably easier and less costly (???) simply to restore it in its last role..

I also agree that if you get the Nanton Lanc to taxiing restoration..could it not get to airworthy shape?..but as you suggest THAT may be even more costly..have to inspect all struts spars joints rivets etc etc etc for microscopic cracks.... even at taxiing.. it may be an impossible task to make the step to airworthy....perhaps someone with more air experience knows more about that process.
Old 26-03-15, 03:42

Default Lancasters

I think the Lancaster in Toronto was used for parts, perhaps in Hamilton or out to Alberta. The Sherman ended up in Beachwood Cemetery in Ottawa.

There used to be a Lancaster in Windsor, I am not sure were that one went. Great intentions when these old warbirds were first put on pedestals and on outdoor display, thankfully we are starting to realize this is not the best way to preserve aircraft for future generations to enjoy.

Old 26-03-15, 13:51
Michael Snetsinger

Default Lancasters

The last time I saw the Toronto Lancaster it was still in the museum at Downsview Airport. They were using the hangers where they built Mosquitoes, Chipmunks and Beavers but due to some skulduggery they were evicted and the Ww2 hangers were torn down to make room for a hockey arena. The volunteers had made really good progress over the years but (don't quote me) I think their collection ended up in storage somewhere around Toronto (Pearson) International Airport. It also looks like the Windsor Lancaster is undercover too. On a sidenote, it was very cool that last summer the Lancaster in Hamilton flew all the way across the pond to the UK and back to tour with the British Lancaster.

http://www.casmuseum.org/gallery/view.php?gallery_id=13

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/sa...labour-of-love

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-...tour-1.2028602

Mike
Old 27-03-15, 03:26

Default Lancaster 882

Here is an image of Lancaster 882 when it was being used as a platform for aerial photography.

Old 27-03-15, 03:38

Default Returning Home

Here is an image of Lancasters lined up and ready to leave the UK to return to Canada.

PL-44319 An impressive aerial photograph of 12 Lancasters of the RCAF Bomber Group Ghost Squadron lined up nose to tail taken May 31st the day they left for Canada. 15 Canadian built Lancasters took off at one minute intervals from their Bomber Station at Middleton St. George Yorks the first of the Canadian Squadrons to leave the United Kingdom since VE Day. More will follow daily until all aircrew have gone.
Old 10-07-16, 15:55
MLU Administrator

"Australian man wants to rescue Edmundston's Lancaster bomber - Exemption sought from Canadian Heritage law that requires significant cultural items to remain in Canada"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...669533?cmp=rss
Old 10-07-16, 16:19

Default Edmunston Lancaster

A storied Canadian aircraft type with 11 sorties over Germany in WWII, you would think the preservation of this aircraft in Canada would be a 'no brainer'. Of course with a museum community firmly fixated on placing large artifacts outside to the mercy of the elements and a population who is woefully uniformed about the cultural significance of these large items; perhaps the answer is to let someone purchase this Lancaster and restore it to the glory it deserves.

If this was in Europe, that Lancaster would be in a warehouse with a team of dedicated people working to restore it because they understand historical significance and the stark reality that these machines are rare items worthy of saving. The Canadian answer appears to be to vacillate until there is nothing left to save.

Step up and do something or export it.
Old 10-07-16, 16:46

Default Go for it

If the Edmundston Lancaster's fate is to rot away and no one in Canada wants to step up and preserve it, for heavens sake give it to the Aussies. They help fly them in Bomber Command and wouldn't that be fabulous heritage preservation to have three flying, one each in the U.K , Canada and Australia.

The last Canadian Canso amphibian with war time record and the name of David Hornell V.C. in the log book was for sale and the Canadian Heritage people didn't think it was worth keeping in Canada. Surely a tired old Lancaster will not have any particular importance or be of any interest to them.
Old 10-07-16, 22:43

http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2016/07/08/k...s-war-veteran/

You will note that in the CBC story, and in an earlier CBC story, the reporter said 882 took part in the DAmbusters raid.
unfortunately not true. That was 43, and 882 arrived in England in early 45.
also 12 missions (the 12th however was turned back over Europe due to weather, bombs dropped in the Channel)
Old 17-11-16, 07:22
HUP guy

Default Edmundston, N.B. Lancaster KB882 moving to Trenton, Ontario

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...seum-1.3854570

Edmundston's Lancaster bomber getting new home in Trenton, Ont.

National Air Force Museum will make airplane centrepiece of its celebration of 100th anniversary of RCAF

CBC News Posted: Nov 16, 2016 9:36 PM AT
This Lancaster bomber was purchased by the City of Edmundston in 1964, but is in need of restoration, which the city cannot afford. (Edmundston society for the Preservation of the Lancaster/Facebook)

Aussie aircraft buff takes aim at Edmundston's Lancaster bomber

A Second World War military aircraft that has been a landmark at the New Brunswick-Quebec border for more than 50 years has finally found a new home.
The Lancaster bomber is badly in need of restoration work, and it seemed no one could afford to do it.
The City of Edmundston couldn't, so it searched for an institution willing to take on the project.
The Alberta Aviation Museum submitted the winning bid for the airplane, but then backed out in June when it realized it didn't have the money needed.
Now, another bidder has come forward, and on Tuesday night, it was announced that the Lancaster is headed for The National Air Force Museum of Canada in Trenton, Ontario.
"I guess wow is the best word, knowing how important this aircraft is to Canada," said Chris Colton, executive director of the museum, of his reaction to hearing that his bid was accepted.
"Knowing what a tremendous story it can tell, the bravery of the crews flying it in World War II, and the after-war, post-war, Cold War timeframe when it flew some very interesting, shall we say, missions in the electronic intelligence gathering role."
The Lancaster bomber, KB-822, is one of the last of its kind in the world and will be taken apart and shipped to Trenton, Ont. for permanent display at the National Airforce Museum of Canada. (City of Edmundston)

Colton knows all about the history of that very Lancaster, one of just four still intact that served in the skies over occupied Europe.

Cold War, WW II service

"It was reconfigured into what's called an area reconnaissance configuration," he said, "which then allowed it to provide services to the RCAF for mapping and charting, for photographic work, and to do some sniffing, shall we call it, some electronic intelligence gathering during the Cold War. In fact, this aircraft flew missions against Russian trawlers during the Cuban Missile Crisis."
The City of Edmundston bought the Ontario-built Lancaster in 1964, paying $1,600.
Over the years, sitting outside, it has deteriorated, with rust setting in, and even had birds nesting in it.
"I have watched this aircraft over the last 10 years in hopes that someone would eventually grab on to the restoration project to save it," said Colton. "It's a very special, iconic aircraft for Canada. This year when we determined that the Edmonton museum was unable to go forward with their plan, I did approach the City of Edmundston and offered our help."

Major plans for airplane

The Trenton museum had finished second in the initial bidding for the airplane, and was thrilled to have a second chance. It has big plans for the Lancaster.
"I would guess it's going to cost at least $250,000 over the next seven years to work on it and get the aircraft fully restored to a display status," said Colton. "We're confident we have the funding available to do that, so right now, it's just a question of time. We are targeting Apr. 01, 2024 to have it unveiled to the public, which is the 100th anniversary of the Royal Canadian Air Force."
The Lancaster will join the museum's other pride and joy, a fully restored Halifax Mk. VII bomber, which coincidentally took to the skies on two different missions in 1945 above Germany at the same time as the Lancaster.
It will be the only museum in the world to feature both restored airplanes, helping tell the important history of the war and post-war years for future generations of Canadians.
Museum volunteers and trained RCAF recovery specialists will visit the Edmundston site and hope to begin the disassembly of the aircraft in March or April of 2017, which will take about three months.
Then it will be shipped to Trenton, for the long process of restoration. "We have a wonderful force of about 25 volunteers who just can't wait to have their hands on it and start the process," said Colton.

Brian
Old 17-11-16, 12:22

Default Edmunston Lancaster

This is good news and am I reading the report correctly that the aircraft will be on indoor display?
Old 17-11-16, 13:23

Hi

This is good news indeed! Thanks Brian; you couldn't pay me to read CBC.

NAFMC has an announcement:

http://airforcemuseum.ca/en/news/lan...renton-on.html

Quote:
"... Her appearance along with our Halifax Mk. VII bomber will be unique in the world as the only museum having both in a fully restored condition...."
She'll look great beside NA 337.

Now to recover/restore a Stirling!! None were saved but perhaps Scandinavian lakes can assist?

regards
Darrell
Old 17-11-16, 13:32
HUP guy

Default Lancaster KB882 FAQs

more from the Museum's website:
http://airforcemuseum.ca/en/lancaster-kb882-faqs

Lancaster KB882 FAQs

When will the aircraft arrive in Trenton?
An NAFMC restoration team will make a site visit to Edmundston in the spring of 2017. At that time they will evaluate what is needed to move the aircraft and prepare her for transport. The NAFMC anticipates the arrival of KB882 in Trenton to be early summer of 2017.

How will the aircraft get to Trenton?
The NAFMC will work in conjunction with RCAF aircraft recovery specialist to move KB882 in the safest manner possible for the aircraft. This will be dependent on what conditions are found during the site visit.

Where will the aircraft go when it arrives?
When the aircraft arrives in Trenton it will go directly into the Museum Restoration shop.
Once restored, KB882 will be proudly displayed to the public in the NAFMC as its premier exhibit celebrating the 100th anniversary of the RCAF (1st of April, 2024).

How will the aircraft be restored?
KB882 will be restored to her post war Mark 10 AR (Area Reconnaissance) configuration.

How long will it take?
Restoration is anticipated to take between 5 and 7 years.

Will the aircraft be able to fly?
KB882 will be restored for display status.

What will the restoration cost?
Costs are expected to be about $25,000 per year.

How can I donate/help?
If you would like to make a donation to the Lancaster project, or would like to assist in its restoration, please contact the Executive Director at 613-965-2208 or director@airforcemuseum.ca

Brian
Old 21-09-17, 07:06
MLU Administrator

RCAF to help restore Lancaster bomber in preparation for its 100th anniversary

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/nation...th-anniversary