MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-12-06, 01:01

Default Afghanistan Iltis

Hello all..

I took the liberty of honouring our troops by converting one of my Iltis' into a likeness of some of the examples which served in the early part of the war in Afghanistan.
Unfortunately, not a single vetran Iltis of that theatre made it back to Canada and details are sketchy.
That being said, all i had to go on were some pics from Stuart Fedak and word-of-mouth from a couple of soldiers who saw and/or used them while serving over there.
Although i think i more or less got it right when it comes to authenticity, i do have a couple of questions for anyone who might know.
First off, i noticed in a couple of pics a curious roll-bar type structure affixed to the rear of a few of the vehicles. I'm just wondering if this was a local modification, and if so, what was it's intended purpose??
Second, again in a couple of pics it appears one of the rear seats was moved to the back. Was this seat strapped/attached to the top of the radio doghouse in some way or was there some other means of rigging it back there ie. on top of an ammo crate or whatever..??
Any help would certainly be appreciated. The last thing i need is an Afghanistan vet saying "nice jeep- but that's not how we did it.."

Gord