MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 08-01-07, 21:30

Text removed as information is no longer current

Last edited by Stuart Fedak; 04-10-15 at 16:40.
Old 09-01-07, 02:59

From some of the posts on the Yahoo Iltis site it looks like most Iltises are headed for a short and brutal life. The famous picture of one rolled in a coolie and people driving them through deep water doesn't look like these people are thinking of major restoration work. The people I talked to at London Service Unit said that most repairs were sent out to a body shop and the scrap Iltises they had were rough patch jobs.
Even if you had good repair panels to redo an Iltis all the seams are in such poor condition I'm afraid that to start to open up a seam and try to replace a panel it would be a horror story of rusty metal. I have one and from going through it to safety it and trying to understand how the body was assembled I think a rebuild would require a lot of skill and patience. I have been told that the seams and welds on a unit body are what give it rigidity and strength so that may be why there are such precise rewelding instructions.
Old 09-01-07, 05:16
carrier mech

I remember our mat techs replacing a few fenders back in Cypress. Of course, that was in 89, and the trucks were only 4 years old. By the time we finished our tour, the Iltis in Cypress were replaced with the Pajero. The Iltis were cracking as a result of the rough Cypress roads.

I personally replaced a body complete while in MooseJaw. A couple of the militia guys in Dundurn decided to play chicken between a MLVW and the subject ILtis. They got their lefts and rights mixed up, and the MLVW creamed the complete left side of the ILtis.
The manual called for 90 manhours to replace the body...I did it in 32. There were a couple of hangups. Both the rear corner body mounts broke when I tried to remove them. Also the replacement 15A circuit breakers provided were the wrong size (I found some aircraft ones that fit proper). After all that , the vehicle sat for the next 5 months waiting for a speedometer. Apparently they were out of production, and the CF had to wait for them to be special made.

By the time I finished, the truck did indeed look brand new. It was returned to the Sask Ds, where they used it as the COs Iltis. Of course, 6 months later, it went on for it's half life improvements, which weren't really neccessary on a 6 month old body, but since the repairs were already paid for, off it went.

Boy, I do ramble, don't I? Have I ever mentioned how much I hated the ILtis?
Old 09-01-07, 06:34

Default Iltis Panels

Stuart

I think the Book you are looking for is CORROSION CONTROL PROCEDURES ILTIS CDN C-30-108-000/VC-001 it was dated 1993-12-20 this manual shows measurements ,panel placment paint as well as stone guard placement. This manual was to be used to help determin what work was required to prolong the life of the iltis.