MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 19-04-07, 03:36
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Ottawa RCAF Squadron 1941?

Hi Folks,

If someone enlisted at Ottawa with the RCAF in 1941, which Squadron or Squadron's would he have likely been attached to?

Thanks a lot,

Karmen
Old 19-04-07, 14:05
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Ottawa RCAF Squadron 1941?

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir 2nd
Hi Folks,

If someone enlisted at Ottawa with the RCAF in 1941, which Squadron or Squadron's would he have likely been attached to?

Thanks a lot,

Karmen
Hi Karmen;

The only way to determine what Squadron(s) the person in question served on, would be to obtain their Record of Service. Enlistment in Ottawa in 1941 tells you nothing except that the person in question enlisted in the R.C.A.F. sometime in 1941 at Ottawa.

Cheers
Old 19-04-07, 15:15

Unlike the Army where a soldier could spend a career with one regiment, the Airforce just put bodies where they were needed, you know the phrase round pegs in square holes. A pilot wouldn't even spend a career on one type of aircraft (they often would have several types go obsolete during a career).
That said, 12 (Communications) Squadron was based at RCAF Ottawa 1939-1941 before going overseas.
Old 19-04-07, 22:20
Vets Dottir 2nd

Mark and Grant,

Thanks a lot to you both for responding to my questions. I don't have much info to go on other than that the gentleman served on the ground in the UK driving trucks and ambulances and did experience living through bombing raids and came home in about 46/47. I've been surfing all sorts of sights and coming up with nothing ... most searches bring up RAF sites - understandable for WW2 searches when I know that the RCAF Squadrons joined in with RAF and that RCAF Squadrons got renamed into the "400's" Blocks to more easily identify between UK/Canadian.

I won't stop searching a bit, but the service records or talking to family members who may have heard stories and remember which Squadrons (etc) he may have served with would narrow things down a lot.

Again, thanks guys!

Karmen
Old 19-04-07, 23:26

From what you say, I don't think that the fact that he enlisted in Ottawa will help determine the unit he was attached to. If you know the base (or town associated with the base) that, along with the date at the base, could lead to the squadrons based at a station.
I'm not sure whether the ground staff such as drivers were assigned to the squadron or to the station although the fitters were often assigned to a single aircraft which would lead to an association with a squadron for at least as long as it stayed at a single station.
About the 400 block for Canadian squadrons.... 12 Communications Flight from RCAF Ottawa (I was wrong to call it a squadron in the last message) did NOT/NOT become 412 Sqn on going overseas. 412 Sqn was formed in England 1941 flying Spitfires (one of their wartime pilots, Charley Fox, is now the Squadron's Honorary Colonel, a very pleasant gentleman and an engaging speaker). Postwar, the name of 412 sqn was resurrected and applied to 12 Comm Flt to become 412 Transport Sqn. 412 sqn is presently responsible for VIP political and military transport, medevac and military utility transport, based in Ottawa
Old 19-04-07, 23:39
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally posted by Grant Bowker
From what you say, I don't think that the fact that he enlisted in Ottawa will help determine the unit he was attached to. If you know the base (or town associated with the base) that, along with the date at the base, could lead to the squadrons based at a station.

I'm not sure whether the ground staff such as drivers were assigned to the squadron or to the station although the fitters were often assigned to a single aircraft which would lead to an association with a squadron for at least as long as it stayed at a single station.
Hi Grant,

Thanks! He was at ROCKLIFFE AFB I've done searches for Rockliffe but haven't come up with much as yet.

He enrolled/enlisted? "about" 1941, went overseas to serve probably completely in UK as truck/ambulance driver, came home in '46/47, and was discharged in 1947.

I need a now ...

Karmen
Old 20-04-07, 01:36
Senior Forum Member

Question

Quote:
He was at ROCKLIFFE AFB
What the h*ll is Rockcliffe AFB ..... last I heard, RCAF Station / CFB Rockcliffe was in Ontario ...... when did it move to the States or was it taken over by the USAF and renamed an Air Force Base .......
Old 20-04-07, 01:53
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
What the h*ll is Rockcliffe AFB ..... last I heard, RCAF Station / CFB Rockcliffe was in Ontario ...... when did it move to the States or was it taken over by the USAF and renamed an Air Force Base .......
... air force base ... whatever it was called... thanks Mark, so I can assume it's called "station" and CFB (Canadian Forces Base?) ... ?

Karmen
Old 20-04-07, 03:18
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
... air force base ... whatever it was called... thanks Mark, so I can assume it's called "station" and CFB (Canadian Forces Base?) ... ?

... MA ... Pay Attention ......

During the period of the Second World War, RCAF Station Rockcliffe.

Now to make sure it has sunk in

Old 20-04-07, 03:47
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:

... MA ... Pay Attention ......

During the period of the Second World War, RCAF Station Rockcliffe.

Now to make sure it has sunk in

Understood Oh Great Teacher "RCAF Station Rockliffe" it is then ...
I bow to the Wisdom within you ----->

Ma Yappy
Old 20-04-07, 03:51

Quote:
was it taken over by the USAF and renamed an Air Force Base .......
Wellllll..... there were more than a few cases of that, not all in Canada.
Old 31-08-07, 01:24
Vets Dottir 2nd

FYI to all ... just so's you know, I'm not done trying to research this. I haven't been working on it for some time but I will be getting back to it soon ...