MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 28-01-18, 17:49
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default BRAND NEW! Chev CMP.

Zero Milage, fresh from the dealer!

It seems that the Venerable Suzuki Carry model from 1985 is still being sold in some markets of the world as the Chevrolet CMP.

While originally a Suzuki vehicle, it and the Van version was sold around the world in a variety of GM-brand badge-engineered versions, such as the Holden Scurry or the Vauxhall Rascal. It would appear that the vehicle is STILL selling nearly 30 years later in Mexico as the Chevrolet CMP. Who would've thought that some GM marketing guru would try to revive the CMP name as a "sexy" brand?
Old 28-01-18, 18:26

Default Whats old comes around again

Hi Tony

I've driven early versions (90s) of these in the US and they were down right scary. You felt that if you stomped on the brakes they would fall over on their face. My brother had one that he and a bunch of high school students converted to electric power, bed was full of batteries and had a solar array on frame that could be tilled toward the sun. Very peppy acceleration but was limited to I think 40 MPH.

They even have had a 4x4 version, there is a 4X4 right hand drive in out area that I see couple time a year, the guy always has his golden retriever riding with him in the left hand seat. The dog is always sitting up very straight with that golden retriever grin on its face.

Interesting that they registered the trade mark Chevrolet CMP® me thinks their legal department didn't look very deep into that one. Also I didn't see on their page what they think CMP stands for. Just noticed that at one point it list it as being a 6 cylinder engine and on the specification page it says 3 cylinder so much for the ad department proof reading.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 28-01-18 at 18:30. Reason: Just spotted something
Old 28-01-18, 22:31

GADZOOKS!!! We'll all have to get used to writing 'CMP' out in full - Canadian Military Pattern - to avoid the inevitable legal threats from GM!!

Just when you thought it was safe to get back in the water .....

Seriously, like Phil, it was the thing in the advert that jumped out at me: CMP as a currently registered trademark, and nothing to do with its real meaning.

Claims by vehicle builders sometimes take no notice of the past. When the Bushmaster IMV was first being touted about, it was claimed to be the first armoured military vehicle built in Australia. Errr.... wrong, Guys, try two armoured cars in WW1, or the armoured cars of the 1930s, or the tanks, carriers and armoured cars of the 1940s .....

Mike
Old 29-01-18, 08:47

Mike

Lots of firsts are claimed. Remember the Chrysler first of cross flow heads, pity they forgot about many cars pre-1910 and later as well.

I love the selling point of a separate starter button as some great technological advance. Just about everything from Model T onwards for 40 years had a separate starter either floor or dash mounted.

Jeep claim the first four wheel drive against dozens of historic predecessors but they can refute Range Rover's claims of a constant four wheel drive "luxury" station wagon with their Wagoneer many years prior. Chevrolet beat them also but the "constant" (with centre diff) part goes back to pre-WW1.

Lang
Old 29-01-18, 17:29
MLU Administrator

Smile

What ho! I really had to look up which vehicle Tony was referring to. I found it is known in many parts of the world as Suzuki Carry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Carry

At least it is a very versatile vehicle (I would not call this a "truck"), and in many developing countries they can be seen carrying huge loads, much more than they were designed for.

In that respect, it is a worthy bearer of the name "CMP"

Hanno
Old 30-01-18, 00:43

Anyone making a glassfibre cab 13 body kit?
Old 30-01-18, 00:56

Alex

Why don't you build a 75% scale cab 13 kit in fibre glass to drop onto the current Suzuki/Chevrolet CMP?

Would sell millions.

Lang
Old 30-01-18, 02:25
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

There's certainly been a few makers of MB/GPW fibreglass bodies to fit Japanese 4wd chassis through the years, it's about time we saw a CMP version.
Attached Thumbnails
c8a_hup02.jpg  
Old 30-01-18, 02:36

Perhaps we should do a detail comparison to the Mini Moke or Citroen 2CV pickup....