MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 06-09-13, 07:13
Tony VAN RHODA

Default B17 and b25 flight

Hi Guys

I just had to share this with you all. WWII Bombers over Arizona Landscape
SaberCat1 filming in HD the B17 and the B25 WWII Bombers over and around Arizona's Superstition Mountains and Saguaro Lake. H5 Productions, in conjunction with The Commemorative Air Force filmed these aircraft during the Veterans Day Celebration on Saturday, November 13th, 2010. The B17 Bomber was flown by pilot Russ Gilmore and the B25 Bomber was flown by pilot Spike McLane. The base for these bombers is Falcon Field located in Mesa, Arizona. SaberCat1 pilot, Mitch Kelldorf. SaberCat1 aerial cinematographer, Mike Murray. Editor, Mike Murray.

http://vimeo.com/18135369

A beautiful film clip.

Cheers

Tony
Old 06-09-13, 16:37

Both these aircraft were in Winnipeg a couple of weeks back. Absolutely fantastic to see up close and tour through. They were saying there are enough spare parts to keep it and the rest of the B-17's around the world flying for the next 60 years, but they are getting nervous all the WW2 aircraft will be grounded in another 20 years, if aviation fuel continues to degrade, or get discontinued. The engines were apparently designed for 130 octane and it is now down to 100 octane, which is getting very close to performance limits.

Interesting costs involved in operating the B-17. Each engine apparently holds 2 gallons of motor oil, with a 30 some odd gallon reserve tank mounted behind each engine. They had come up from Fargo, ND prior to Winnipeg and had needed to top up the engine oil before they left Fargo. A 45 gallon barrel of oil was running $1,700.00 USF.

Great to see them flying while they still can!!!

David
Old 21-12-13, 17:33
aut viam inveniam aut fac

When the B29 came up to Montreal for a film shoot, they had big pans on the ground underneath each engine.. Apparently there`s a lot of leakage.

Beautiful film ! One of the concerning issues with the Hamilton Lancaster interestingly enough, is tires! Of course they just dont make them, and the cost to get a run going to supply the couple of Lancs flying is very very expensive

My personal favourite is the Mosquito..multi- role but seemed to do all them exceptionally welll Fast manouevable, could carry 2000 lbs of bombs vs the big slow B-17 -8000lb
Old 21-12-13, 17:58

I believe the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the CWH Lancasters both solved the tyre problem by adopting the Shackleton wheel and tyre assemblies. They fit the Lanc landing gear just fine and are in good supply.

The Mosquito in British Columbia should be flying next year. It will be only the second airworthy one flying in the world. Australia beat us last year, but I think the airframe they restored was ex-Canadian manufacture. If I am correct, then Canada will have bragging rights for a while in the Mosquito world!

David
Old 21-12-13, 21:36

Default Great video where can you get the alternate sound track

Hi Tony

Thanks for posting the link to a great Video, but where can you get the alternate sound track the one with just the sound of the those big engines?

I know they are making the video for the general public who have no appreciation for the sound of those big radials or big Vs. But I love the sound of those engines. It would be great if somebody made a video of some of the great old planes with a really good sound track.

There is one video of the Canadian Landcaster that has some good sound bits in it.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 21-12-13, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Australia beat us last year, but I think the airframe they restored was ex-Canadian manufacture. If I am correct, then Canada will have bragging rights for a while in the Mosquito world!
David,
Now don't go upsetting the Kiwis .......... The Mossie was restored in NZ.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 21-12-13, 23:20

Default Yes the Kiwis did it.

And hopefully they can use the mould, jigs and expertise to do it again. It would be a pity if they stopped at one.

On another Mosquito related matter, I recently saw film footage of carrier landings being carried out by these aircraft. One landing was a total disaster with the remnants of the Mozzie scattered all over the deck. There was no narration and no information given. Does anybody out there know more?

Thanks for posting the B17, B25 video Tony, it's a joy to watch.

David
Old 22-12-13, 00:40
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Beautiful footage

Hi Guys

When I saw the film clip I just had to share it with you guys. Beautiful planes amongst beautiful scenery.

Yes Phil. I wish we could have heard those big props engines humming along, there is something unique about those ww2 bomber engine sounds that stay with you, much more interesting to those boring jets.

Cheers and a Merry Christmas to you all.

Tony
Old 22-12-13, 01:43

Default Lanc Vimeo

http://vimeo.com/15498493

This is a decent video of the Hamilton Lancaster. Somehow I think they added the music (Battle of Britain soundtrack) but you can still here the Merlin's.
Old 22-12-13, 02:21
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Thanks

Hi Harry

Thanks for posting that flight, I found it absorbing and you could feel you were almost there. So glad they didn't drown out the sound of those great Merlin engines with the background music. To think back in WW2 they were flown by just kids out of their teens.I loved it.

Cheers

Tony
Old 22-12-13, 22:46
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Engine sounds

I agree, usually prefer just to hear the engine sounds but I note that was all shot from a helicopter with a Tyler (gyro) mount as well as a couple of onboard POV shots from the B17. Having shot a lot of air to air my experience is you can usually only hear the aircraft you are in, and in the case of the helicopter mount they could not record any at all so have to build a soundtrack. Not impossible but very hard to get right. I have a lot of sound recorded inside the Hudson with the sound of a pair of Wright Cyclones which is awesome in itself but virtually anything shot from the ground has the doppler effect.
They could at least have used the wonderful sound with the few ground to air shots though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi Tony

Thanks for posting the link to a great Video, but where can you get the alternate sound track the one with just the sound of the those big engines?

I know they are making the video for the general public who have no appreciation for the sound of those big radials or big Vs. But I love the sound of those engines. It would be great if somebody made a video of some of the great old planes with a really good sound track.

There is one video of the Canadian Landcaster that has some good sound bits in it.

Cheers Phil

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 23-12-13, 00:20
aut viam inveniam aut fac

this is youtube of Hamilton Lanc without music...there are a couple of them on youtube ( surprising how small the cockpit is on such a big bomber)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXnVQftvIBA

and this is a tragic end to pilot and mosquito plane...very sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aVZMNw6u2U

and here's a description on how to fly a mossie...sounds dangerous!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S5w2TsKKQo

and mossie flying with no tragic end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRGwfNrnWsc
Old 23-12-13, 05:39
Tony VAN RHODA

Default C-130j

Hi Guys

Some great footage currently being posted.

Here is one of the big modern birds. Who knew the C-130J was aerobatic? And performing aerobatics over a populated area, no less! (BTW, the horn is stall warning; the woop! Woop! Woop! Is an accelerated stall warning, and the female voice is the aircraft telling the pilot what he should do to correct the situation.)

Wimp.com: http://wimp.com/cockpitview/

Enjoy

Cheers

Tony
Old 23-12-13, 17:26

Default NZ Mossie

In honour of all the hard work from all those Kiwis, here is a clip from Hamilton, Ontario earlier this year, showing what their efforts produced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1S90kGfLXY

Well done chaps!!!

David