MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 23-08-13, 23:46
MLU Administrator

Default Canadian Iltis in Holland

I got sent a picture of an ex-Canadian Forces Iltis residing here in Holland, possibly it is the only one.
While the Iltis is not abundant anyway, the ones that you see over here are of ex-German or ex-Belgian Army origin.

H.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1618.jpg  
Old 24-08-13, 00:05
carrier mech

One down, 2499 to go.
Old 24-08-13, 09:34
MLU Administrator

I guess it's an example used by the Canadian Army in Germany, and auctioned off there when they left sometime after the fall of the Iron Curtain?

H.
Old 24-08-13, 10:27
Bluebell

What happened to that curtain? Did the scrappies get that too?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 24-08-13, 15:11
carrier mech

It always amazes me how far some MVs travel. While the world has gotten a lot smaller thanks to communications like the internet, shipping has not. To see behemoths like Cdn M135s showing up in Nevada, or Iltis showing up in far reaching corners of the world, is always a surprise.

I did not know we left Iltis in Germany. At that time they were only 10 years old.....lots of miles left in them at that point. The M100 trailers were left behind, many destroyed so as to save the work of having to list and sell them. And of course the Lynx, since that fleet was being disposed of anyway.

I was in cypress in 1990, when we replaced the existing Iltis fleet there with the pajero. The Iltis wore quickly due to the rough roads, and had suffered from considerable cracking in the bodies and the frames. That fleet was all sent here to Shilo where they were mixed/matched and returned to service.

When we left Kandahar, the only vehicles that were being left behind were some of the gators. Even the MLVWs, at the end of their service life and with little or no salvage value, were being shipped home.
Old 24-08-13, 16:04

Default Iltis in Cypress

Rob I'm surprised they replaced the Iltis so quickly in Cypress. I was there in 88 in 60 Recce and we patrolled the buffer zone in the Iltis everyday. We used them in the city Monday to Saturday and only took them out into the country on Sunday's (out to Lorigina) to relieve the Brit Scout Car Squadron (equipped with Ferrets) for a day. We used the Grizzly's sporadically (mostly on the rural route and for Embassy Drills) and the Lynx's only during the first month or so before turning them over to Rural Squadron where they sat idle for the tour. The Iltis had a pretty easy life in Cypress as the route was 25 years old (by that time) and had been plowed by generations of troops in M38A1's. Our patrols staggered their departure times but a route only took a few hours daily, while the rural route took all day. They were in good shape when we arrived and turned them over in similar shape (we never had an N/S Iltis the whole tour) but the Lynx's were in terrible shape, we spent weeks repairing, repainting and re-stowing them and once up to snuff, they were parked and tarped. We did find Canadian M38A1's cut in half disposed in the ocean off the North Coast near the MG range.
Old 24-08-13, 19:11
carrier mech

The two lynx were replaced with two m113a2 pioneer dozers during my tour. I was told that there was an agreement as to how much armour we could hold in theater, so it was two in for two out.

The Iltis were already in trouble at that point, although some of it was unfounded. Cracks in caulking on the seams of the frame were in some cases being misdiagnosed as frame cracks. The body cracking was real though. I also noted that all our in theater Iltis had the mechanical fuel pumps from the commercial VWs installed due to the unreliability of the electric pumps. Despite the heat of Cypress, we did not experience any vapor lock and got rid of the constant failures of the electric pump.

The grey matter is starting to thicken....I don't recall the AVGP in Cypress that much. I will have to pull out the tour book and see. I do recall us having to assemble the runflats, so no doubt they were out there.
Old 24-08-13, 21:21
carrier mech

Stuart
Yes, I believe you are correct on that one. The Iltis were long gone by the time I was working in Kandahar, and you are talking about Kabul. Some tooling did remain which I returned to the CFSS during my second contract.

I believe there are some photos floating around of those Iltis after the locals unearthed them and rejoined the pieces. They are an enterprising people, and work miracles with what they have.

I can't really discuss any further vehicle dispositions for obvious reasons.
Old 25-08-13, 19:51
MUTT Guy

The Graveyard was right next to our lines in Julien.

The troops used to find the odd runner or two in the pile and would take turns jumping them etc. That promptly ended when a short film resembling the opening scenes to the A-Team surfaced
Old 25-08-13, 22:05
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
It is fitting that the Zombie Iltis should arise from the dead, after having lived for twice their expected lifespan.
Stuart
I'd be curious to know what the intended lifespan of the MLVW was. Despite the roll out of the MSVS, there were still quite a few of them bombing around Meaford this past week during Stalwart Guardian. If the Iltis is a Zombie, the MLVW is a Day Walking Vampire
Old 25-08-13, 23:53
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
For all of their years of honourable and distinguished service....,
Stuart
There goes Stuart trying to wind me up again.

Any government that would send their troops to war in a 20 year old softskin vehicle should be removed to third party status. Oh wait....they have
Old 26-08-13, 01:30
carrier mech

While MLU is no place to be talking politics.....

Under a certain party whose colour is red and name starts with an L, we went into that conflict with softskin, old vehicles. There were attempts at trying to make those softskin B vehicles battle-worthy. LSVWs and MLVWs and HLVWs got applied armour, and semi-militarized highway tractors also received add on armour packages. After the political embarrassment (and payment of life by soldiers), the G wagon was purchased with an armour package. Not cheap, but not the right vehicle for battle either.

In comes a party whose colour is blue and name starts with a C. Armoured heavy trucks are purchased quickly. Yes, they cost a million each, and were expensive to maintain. End of the day, no soldier was killed in one. You can correct me if I'm wrong. I did see some AHSVS come in with severe external damages, but in all cases the cabs were intact and the occupants safe. All those lighter vehicles with their add on armour? Relegated to in camp duties or duties within the FOBs. If they traveled in between the secure areas, it was on the back of a flat bed, where they belonged. All those G-wagons? Sent home where they belonged.

I won't go into some of the equipment purchased for the war, because some of it is still up there. But know that equipment saved lives.

Canada needed helicopters? Done. Canada needed more armoured cars (RGs and Buffalos) Done. Canadian soldiers needed Tim Horton's doughnuts? Done.

Trust me...whatever we wanted or needed, we got. From my perspective as a maintainer, we wanted for nothing.

One problem with a democratic system though is that you must make approximately 40% of the people happy to be re-elected. After a very costly war, and a deep worldwide financial crisis, the C party needs to balance the books in the next year and a half to be presentable to the public. The peacetime portion of the army is now suffering severe cuts. But nobody is going to die over the cuts. A lot of civilian employees and contractors will lose their jobs (count me in that bunch) but they will do what they have to do.

So which party would you want to go to war under? One that tries to make do, or one that is willing to pay the price and give the guys sent over there the tools to do the job?

Canada's auditor General said it best. She came out with her team and landed in Kandahar. While dis-embarking from the aircraft on the airfield, a rocket went skidding by. It must have made an impression on her. At the end of her week, her statement was: "My sense is there is good control," she said. "But I think once the decision is made to send our people into war, we have to make sure they are equipped properly, that they are well supported and well protected. And the costs of these things becomes almost a little irrelevant in the whole scheme of things." This was from Sheila Fraser, who was not known to give anyone a free pass.

Last edited by rob love; 26-08-13 at 01:52.
Old 02-09-13, 21:07

Default Canadian Iltis in Holland

I am the owner of this car!
My name is Wout Jansen and live in Veenendaal.
How comes this Iltis in Holland..........?
I bought this car in 2009 from a Dutchman that has bought him via internet in Edmonton, Canada in juni 2006.
The transport costs from Canada to Belgium (Port of Antwerpen) amounted for him 4350.00 US dollar!
This I have totally restored. I made a few parts such the antenna-mountings and doghouses, these thre were, obviously not. For the dimensions I have used pictures of Stuart and the web.
The comm. equipment is an AM 2060 + AN/PRC77.
I am looking for a RT 524 and the PLGR GPS yet. (for a reasonable price!).
With this rare vehicle, for Dutch standard, I got at meetings and Veterans-Days much interest.
Which of course is also an important role that the Netherlands in 1945 is frees bij the Canadians.

Greatings from Holland
Old 03-09-13, 07:00

Just for your interest, I drove that ILTIS, when it was in Canada.

At that time, it didn't have the front antenna mount. only twin rears. it was fitted with 2x RT524.

Check the master power switch for pencil marks... something about the key going missing ...

It's all good.

Up The Dukes!

Last edited by Stan Leschert; 03-09-13 at 07:18.
Old 03-09-13, 11:55

Stan,

thanks for the info.
A question: do you have any pictures of these Iltis in the Canada period?

Gr. Wout
Old 04-09-13, 07:22

https://www.google.ca/search?q=briti...w=1280&bih=689

http://www.bcregiment.com/

When I was in, Sgt Tom Houghton was the unofficial unit photographer. You should be able to contact him through the second link.

I was a bit busy to take pics.

PS, check the suspension very carefully. We had a tendancy to really work these units!
Old 05-09-13, 09:12

Stan,

thanks for the valuable information!
I have the suspension already repaired.

I'll contacting the website for pictures.

Gr. from a sunny Holland, Wout Jansen
Old 30-10-13, 20:42

Default Canadian Iltis

Wout,

Thanks for remembering all those very brave canadians that liberated Holland in 44-45 in horrible conditions.

Mark Zuelke , a canadian , wrote an excellent book on the subject. It is not for the faint of heart. It is called '' Terrible Victory'' .

Long live the Iltis. I flattened one accidentaly with a M113 while backing up and while serving with the PPCLi in Suffield in 91.

Down to the axles....good thing nobody was on board !

My little story with the beloved little Iltis.

We shall never forget

Robert
94 LSVW
Old 30-10-13, 21:59

Default How Much Paper Work

Hi Robert

After backing over the Iltis with a M113 which was taller the Iltis or the pile of paper work?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 31-10-13, 13:33

Default Crushed Iltis

Dear Phil,

So happens that the Combat Team commander shows up at the scene and starts laughing. Nobody hurt he says ? Ah , just another Iltis from the Reserves going to the scrap yard.His 2ic , a captain says to him : No Sir, that was YOUR Jeep !

Then Major Semeniah eventualy became Lt General and commanded the Senior Staff School were i eventualy became a student this year. I did not , repeat DID NOT rermind him of the incident !

As for the pile of paperwork , i did not get to see it. I was on a tight schedule , took the airplane back east and left that to the adjudant to complete...

Robert
94 LSVW
Old 23-11-13, 14:41
aut viam inveniam aut fac

When I visited Cyprus in the mid 80s, (as a member of the CFE Pipes and Drums) I seem to recall there were M38a1...although I really wasn't paying attention much at the time..and the band had a tendency to be thirsty....a lot...almost all the time..

Also several M-113...and of course patrols along the green line passed the car dealership with several brand new..but aging and very very dusty cars sitting there.

Forget the brand, but I dont recall that they'd be of great interest to collectors..

The Ledra Palace was really a wreck, with ropes in the staircase to prevent people from falling over the railings and seriously injuring themselves or dying. ..alhtough the pool was nice...especially late at night when invaded by somewhat tipsy band members..but not for long as we were discovered ( I guess we were whispering more like Homer Simpson.) and told in no uncertain terms to ...well you can imagine

One thing that I inquired about was the wood batons in the jeeps... "puppy pounders" I was told... problem with wild dogs attacking the jeeps when out on patrol and the clubs were to whack them if they got too close

Question: where can one get the red warning decals for the antenna mounts?
Old 02-12-13, 21:50

Default A few weeks ago.

My ex. Canadian Iltis in the forests near Oosterbeek (Market Garden).
He runs well!

Greatings from Wout Jansen (Netherlands)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2814-2013 - kopie.jpg   IMG_2816-2013 - kopie.jpg  
Old 02-12-13, 22:04

Default Iltis

What is the serial number of your Iltis?
Old 03-12-13, 15:58

Default Serial number

The serial number on the data plate is:

BI-01-12-84-86311

Do you have the history of yhis vehicle?

Greetings, Wout Jansen
Old 03-12-13, 18:09

Default Iltis 86311

Delivered 9 Dec 1985, spent its whole military career with 1 Service Battalion in Edmonton; was disposed of on 11 August 2005.

Interesting that it has now ended up in Europe.
Old 03-12-13, 21:27

Default Iltis in Holland

Ed, thanks for the info!

Gr. Wout Jansen
Old 24-12-13, 15:19

Default Muddy Iltis

Here a few pictures of our "autumm-ride" on 9 november 2013.
I'm a member of a military vehicle club "War-Horses".
It was very, very muddy but the Iltis drives fine!!!!.

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

Greatings....................Wout Jansen from Holland
Attached Thumbnails
07.jpg   30.jpg   33.jpg   20.jpg   39%20Michiels%20Dafje%20is%20vies.jpg  

Old 11-05-14, 20:32

Default 5 may 2014 Liberation Day in the Netherlands.

The Liberation Parade driven with my Canadian Iltis Bombardier, along with an 86 year old veteran.
On the route were about 120,000 enthusiastic people, it was great!
My Iltis had particularly of interest again this year.
This parade was in Wageningen where the German surrender of World War II in Netherlands is signed
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3142-2021.jpg   IMG_3150-2028.jpg   IMG_3170-2045.jpg  
Old 16-09-15, 10:30

Default Rockwell

A new addition in my Iltis Bombardier, Rockwell AN / PSN-11.
Purchased in Italy.
The bracket I made myself.
It looks beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3592.jpg   IMG_3590.jpg