MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 21-09-15, 11:16
Tony Baker

You guys are making my head spin, and that's without spraying the can and getting a snoz full! Do I understand correctly, that my paint is current usage in ADF?

I think the description of my paint being 'lustreless' is a good term to use. Spray techniques can vary that, but I suspect a few weeks out in the sun will dull to a further degree. In fact, I'm counting on it, as it's what I plan to do (fine weather permitting, naturally!). Vehicle will be garaged nocte. Color looks dramatically different with oil or grease applied (or accidentally spilt, to be honest).

Jacques, I found that seat base we were talking about, but it is completely Foxtrot'd. Only useful for testing efficiency of tetnus injections, I'm afraid. I did get a number of springs off the back though. I have made enquiries with another source, for a seat. Not heard back yet. What sort of timeframe does that fellow need it by? I'll keep my eyes open for one (attached to vehicle/s) in my travels, starting Wednesday. GPS tells me I'm in for 1700km drive from here. Oh boy. I'm afraid my long distance driving stamina has run out years ago. I shall need Jerry Reed (c'mon you remember the song) playing in a loop, the whole way.
Old 21-09-15, 11:55
VMVC

Default Current ADF Olive Drab

Hi Tony,

That is correct. Your can of Protec Lusterless OD is the current Australian Army colour so it is different to the Protec KG3 that I believe is on file for tinting up. Perfect match for a 80's onwards Land Rover though.

It still beats having to fire up the touch up gun just for a few parts that may never see the light of day. I don't intend to fully repaint my vehicle KG J, just the most obvious visible areas. Haven't got enough years left in my life to do the whole thing. As Gina mentioned quite often vehicles had different paints on different parts due to parts replacement, using up old paint stocks, repainting, etc so a uniform colour on everything is not necessarily correct anyway.

Thanks for that search for the seat base. Don't think he is in a hurry so if you ever come across one in the future he still would be interested.

Have a safe trip down here to Vic. and enjoy the tour of Bandiana Army Museum with your son.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 24-09-15, 14:16
Tony Baker

Default Bandiana, My Son, and the Military Museum

After a 1700km road journey which started yesterday morning, I'm back in Bandiana visiting my Son, and hand delivering his car. It handled the drive well, but will need a REALLY good exterior clean before I hand over the keys for the last time, on Saturday. Man, there are some insect corpses on the front! Had the foresight to wax it thoroughly before departing on the trip. Tomorrow will show whether that had any positive effect on the debugging process.
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1090-resized-960.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	76308
This evening I picked up Bryce, and spent an all too brief period, shopping in Albury. I think he's taller now than he was when we saw him several months ago. Of course, I'm getting shorter. We will get together again tomorrow night, I hope. There is a slim possibility that he may be restricted to base over the weekend, along with the others in his unit, but I pray this doesn't happen. It's a long way to come to just hand over a car and then head for home again.

Assuming all goes well, Bryce and I will both tour the Bandiana Military Museum on Saturday morning. I will go alone, if need be, but that would hugely diminish the enjoyment. Either way, I WILL BE viewing this museum, FINALLY. Third time is a charm, unless I suddenly develop an acute case of appendicitis, or similarly incapacitating ailment. That would surely bugger up the museum visit because i have only booked for 2 people, and I doubt they would make an exception to accomodate a duo of paramedics.

The trip down was largely uneventful, though it did make me realise how REALLY ugly some of our native vegetation is. About 600km into the voyage, I entered an area which I think I would best describe as 'depressing'. I don't mean any offence to our scrub land, but it looked like it desperately needed a damn good combing. You know, the plant version of getting a marginal haircut, then walking out into a strong wind. Unkempt!

Name:	dsc_1074-resized-960.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	76304
Contrast that description with the above. What is this crop? At one point I came over a hill and the entire landscape was this color. Breathtaking, and surreal. Only the house yards were green, everything else this wonderful bright color.

Name:	dsc_1069-resized-960.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	76305
Now THIS is a beautiful landscape, but not nearly as widespread as the previous photo. Of course, my version of beauty is very slightly askew, but who doesn't find 50s and 60s heavy iron appealing, even if it is in captivity.

Name:	dsc_1086-resized-960.jpg
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	76307 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1076-resized-960.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	76306
Made a slight detour off route, to visit The Dish. What a grand old sight it is too. Spent several hunderd dollars on the mandatory souvenirs, then went outside to get a few shots of the radio telescope itself. Now, I don't like the heat, but the other extreme isn't much more attractive. The wind was howling, and it was cold enough to freeze the nuts of a macadamia tree! The train is in Parkes itself. Quite an interesting town, with a lot to see / visit. Maybe another time.

I would normally post all this on Bryces thread, but I recently asked Hanno to remove it from view. I want to be absolutely positive I don't have anything in that thread which could be used to my Sons detriment, and the only way I be sure is to get rid of the whole thing. Welcome to the 21st century, I guess.
Old 24-09-15, 15:04

The yellow crop is canola, it used to be called rape seed at one time. Don't know why they changed it.
That wild unkempt area you passed through on the Newell Highway would be the Pilliga Scrub. Not the sort of place to have a breakdown at night.

David
Old 24-09-15, 21:27
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Bandi

You'll LOVE the Bandiana museum Tony, I really hope Bryce can be with you.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 24-09-15, 21:34
WO8 C15A 142736

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
The yellow crop is canola, it used to be called rape seed at one time. Don't know why they changed it.
David
The name change was necessary because of buyer resistance, women wouldn't buy rape oil for cooking.
Old 24-09-15, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpearce View Post
The name change was necessary because of buyer resistance, women wouldn't buy rape oil for cooking.
Robert,
Still called rape in England, the name canola is not used.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 25-09-15, 00:02
Bluebell

I agree Keith, the nicest, brightest best vehicle museum that I have ever set foot in (I haven't seen many) I hope in the long run that Puka is sorted in the same style.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 25-09-15, 00:07
Rick Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_collector View Post
Assuming all goes well, Bryce and I will both tour the Bandiana Military Museum on Saturday morning.
Sounds like you are having a good trip Tony, glad that you are catching up with Bryce.

Have you checked that the Bandiana Museum is open? Last I heard was that you had to make an appointment, listing with ID.all those entering the military base.

Hopefully you will get in, and if you do, please give my WWI Albion a pat for me. I haven't seen it for a while.

Regards rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 25-09-15, 07:04
Tony Baker

Default Bandiana

I'll never look at canola oil the same way now. So many potentially inappropriate quips, must use self discipline.

Will do, Rick. I booked the museum visit a week ago. You are correct about it being closed to general public, so far as walk in traffic is concerned. The sign on main road still says Open To The Public, which is a little misleading. Wish it was on the outside of the base, so changes in security level would not have such disappointing effect. I drove past Gaza Ridge this morning, on my way to Wadsworth, and saw two motorhomes turning in to the carpark. I hope THEY had bookings.

Name:	dsc_1106-resized-960.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	76309 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1104-resized-960.jpg
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	76310 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1103-resized-960.jpg
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	76311

Name:	dsc_1098-resized-960.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	76312 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1099-resized-960.jpg
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	76313
I really like the toys they leave laying around here.
They missed an opportunity by not putting an info plaque on each tank. The only signs say Do Not Climb. Guys at the gate to the base were OK with me taking photos. I promised I would not take any in the direction of the base.

I know it will sound juvenile, but I can have trouble sleeping the night before anything exciting. This happened before I left home, again the night before I arrived at Albury, and no doubt will happen again tonight. Bryce can understate things, and even HE is greatly impressed about the museum! When Bryce is finished work and cleaned up, I will take him out for a meal somewhere. That will be when I know if he is able to leave base this weekend.
Old 26-09-15, 10:44
Tony Baker

We both went to the museum this morning. The building, when inside, reminded me of the warehouse scene at end of the first Indiana Jones movie, but without the boxes. It seemed to go on forever. Three CMPs, two were Fords. One even had the canvas covered doors, so I took a number of reference shots.

Name:	dsc_1233-resized-960.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	76333 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1150-resized-960.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	76334 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1108-resized-960.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	76335 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1161-resized-960.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	76336 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1230-1-resized-960.jpg
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	76337
I took a lot of photos. I can start a Bandiana Museum thread, if anyone is interested in seeing more of them. Some have a degree of light flare in them, due to placement of the high up windows and my inability to overcome that.
Old 26-09-15, 10:50
Tony Baker

Default Attn Rick

Indeed I did see your Albion, Rick.

Name:	dsc_1201-resized-960.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	76338 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1200-resized-960.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	76339 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1122-resized-960.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	76340 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1198-resized-960.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	76341

A grand old thing it is too. I believe it has missed you badly, as evidenced by the 'tears' that it has wept. You should write more often.

Name:	dsc_1123-resized-960.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	76342

As promised!
Old 26-09-15, 12:21
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Museum

Hey Tony

The VMVC had a club trip to the opening of that museum in 1978 . Two army MP's jumped in the museum's WW2 Jeep and drove it out along the Hume highway to meet us . The Jeep I was co-driving ran out of petrol a few miles out . A Stude came along and offered us some petrol, it was D Mottram of course, tail end charlie in the snail pace Stude . Anyway, then a army ACCO stopped and the driver tried to get some petrol out of the ACCO tank, he used a empty Coke can on a wire and he tried to fill the coke can with petrol , letting it down the ACCO filler neck . The club president , then drove out to rescue us ..gee what a comedy .

The rules were more relaxed then, they let us crawl all over the exhibits in the museum , inside tanks and I remember playing with the Jap Juki machine gun

There was a breakin and they had a lot of exhibit weapons stolen at some time , cannot recall exActly the date . Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 26-09-15, 23:48

Smile

Quote:
I took a lot of photos. I can start a Bandiana Museum thread, if anyone is interested in seeing more of them. Some have a degree of light flare in them, due to placement of the high up windows and my inability to overcome that.
Yes please Tony Mind you I am trying to figure out why you had to ask

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 27-09-15, 01:35
Tony Baker

Hi Cliff. I'm looking down the barrel of doing a LOT of resizing. So if I only got a yawn, I wouldn't have bothered. I did figure the answer was in the affirmative though.

I'm sitting in Albury airport departure lounge right now, about to board the aircraft, so it's a good job to do in flight. At least an hours worth.
Old 27-09-15, 01:55

Smile

I love Rick's Albion. if I had some measurements and detail pics I'd try and do a model of it.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 27-09-15, 05:27
Tony Baker

All my photos, worth looking at, are now uploaded onto thread called Bandiana Military Museum. Everyone encouraged to post their own photos, if they have some.
Old 27-09-15, 12:04
Tony Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
There was a breakin and they had a lot of exhibit weapons stolen at some time , cannot recall exactly the date . Mike
Whoa! That is the epitome of stupidity. Surely it must have been a military (or recently ex-military) person/people. What kind of schmuck would break into an active military base and do such a thing? Do you know if they got knicked eventually, or was it a Lord Lukin sort of case? There's lots of stuff in there I would love to have in my collection, BUT who would you be able to show it to if you weren't supposed to have it.

Finally returned home at 1820hrs, after a series of airline/flight plan/weather delays between Sydney and Sunshine Coast airport. It's my own fault, the flight from Albury to SYD went perfectly and on time, so I naively thought to myself 'everythings going well today'.

Feel a bit low this evening. Partly over tired, partly sadness of leaving my Son again. Doesn't get easier. In fact, I expect now that his car isn't here any more, it may feel he is even further away than before. The good news is, I get somewhere undercover to park my little blue car. Nowhere to cover the grey truck........yet. Maybe another carport required.
Old 05-10-15, 11:28
Tony Baker

After a number of unforeseen delays, I finally had the chance to setup the sewing machine for my canvas work. Not having any operator or maintenance manual to work from, issues were expected. I was not disappointed. The new bar went in and was set up quite quickly, but because the needle went into the bar slightly shallower, it hit on the bobbin thread case. Another slight adjustment to bar height overcome that, and I made them miss each other by less than a 1mm at closest point of movement. That problem fixed! Next issue was the threading path of the, er, thread. Some trial and error here, because i had forgotten my instructions, AND didn't take a photo of the original path of cotton which the previous owner had kindly left in place for me to see. Some time later, I rediscovered how it should go, and took a photo (also made notes).

The thread I had bought was almost impossible to break with my hands, but incorrect upper thread tension adjustments managed to achieve that nicely. Sometimes it didn't break cleanly. In those instances, partial breakage resulted in a strand of thread getting to the canvas, and most of the thread backing up before entering the needle eye. Getting the adjustment correct solved that problem completely. Fortunately I didn't have to mess with bobbin thread tension / setup at all!

Name:	dsc_0117-resized-960.jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	76614 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0119-resized-960.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	76615
The above photos are my test piece. It is the corner strengthening triangle from a canvas tarpaulin that was given to me by another MLU friend. Thanks Andy! The raggedy hole is where an eyelet used to be. My sewing is sound, but straight lines and presentation still elude me entirely!

Machine still runs too fast for my liking, despite changing motor pulley to smallest available. My clutch control is in embryonic stage, so no help there. When I can afford it, I intend to get a digital motor. Then I can dial the exact speed I want.
Old 05-10-15, 14:03
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Stitch

Tony

The stitch length appears to be very short on your test piece , maybe the machine can be adjusted for that ? re the speed, you can do what I did , add another shaft and pullies , it really slows down the machine and it's a cheap option as well. Mike
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 05-10-15, 21:50
Tony Baker

Hello Mike,

Can you post a photo of your machine speed mod, please?

I think I know what you mean, but not 100% sure. Do you mean one of those gearbox looking setups?

Stitch length is at maximum on the test piece. Doesn't look too bad, really. Does make for a strong join, so that's one positive. Tried to rip apart my first join. It's stronger than I am.
Old 05-10-15, 22:10
Tony Baker

Name:  download (1).jpg
Views: 248
Size:  4.9 KB Name:  download (2).jpg
Views: 247
Size:  9.5 KB
Is this what you mean, Mike?
Old 05-10-15, 22:47

The box type shown is one type, another is 2 pulleys close located on a mounting post such as http://shop.raphaelsewing.com/index....roducts_id=354 The post mount can be had on ebay as low as $125US while the box type is $220US, but the box type has the advantage of mounting to the table using the standard 3 hole pattern and having the same pattern to remount the motor to instead of requiring you to plan and adapt your motor mount.
Have you had any luck yet finding manuals for your sewing machine? One forum suggests that there are manuals available for the LS2-1130 which they claim is similar.
Old 05-10-15, 22:57
WO8 C15A 142736

Tony, look at Mike's pictures in post #1516 to see his solution.
Old 05-10-15, 23:54
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Default slowing things down

Tony,
I'm not even sure if it would work but could be explored. I have a mate who clips a lot of beef cattle for parading and showing (EKKA, Sydney Royal, Rocky, Melbourne royal etc). He put me onto the idea of the following to slow the clippers down. Perhaps the same would work?

A piece of board with a female plug which the extension lead plugs into. Mounted on the board is a dimmer switch which reduces the electricity going out to the clippers he has, thus slowing them down to a nice, slow (and quiet!) pace! Perhaps this option would work for your motor? It would be relatively easy for a sparky to make up.

Cheers,
Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net
Old 06-10-15, 01:40
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default yes

Quote:
Attachment 76621 Attachment 76622
Is this what you mean, Mike?
Żes that's the idea but I made one myself and you can too.

re the slowing down of the motor, it's a 240V single phase induction motor and if you use one of those light dimmers the motor will heat up and possibly be damaged .

You could use a 3 phase motor and buy a 3 phase inverter , I use them on my lathes and they work great ... they are available on ebay about 150$ for a 3hp unit . The inverter has variable speed control for the motor , basically its a microprocessor controller with software that has many parameters you can change eg ramp up/down speed and much more. The inverter runs from 240 V single phase and generates 3 phase 240V . The most common brand is HUANYANG .
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 06-10-15, 11:21
Tony Baker

Default options to reduce sewing machine speed.

Here's the options on ebay. The sewing machine shops may have other items I don't yet know about. I will look into those in coming days.

Name:	IMG_20151006_184622.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	76644
The gear reduction option above, is available in USA. Including postage it is $433 AUD.

Name:	IMG_20151006_184728.JPG
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	76645
This next type is $190 AUD, including postage. To me, this option doesn't look sufficiently heavy duty to last the distance. The base just seem strong enough to take the strain of a couple of well tensioned belts. I may be wrong, but it's a lot of money to spend on the off chance.

Name:	IMG_20151006_184847.jpg
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	76646
This motor is same type as mine is, but it is only half the rpm. That's a 50% decrease straight off the bat, and may be slow enough for me. The auction for this motor had no Buy It Now price, and if no-one else outbids, it would cost $70. Another similar motor has Buy It Now of $295. It is in Australia (Vic. to be exact), but shipping cost not stated.

Name:	IMG_20151006_184946.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	76647
This is a speed reducer similar to what was recently mentioned. It is listed at $32.24 AUD, with Free Postage! It comes from Hong Kong, and I have concerns that this sort of device may damage the motor, as I have not found mention anywhere reputable, indicating this mod is an option. If it was a good option, surely somebody somewhere would be spruking the virtues (other than the seller!) I would be very reluctant to try this device without getting the nod from a qualified electrician who is familiar with all the possible outcomes.

Name:	IMG_20151006_185115.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	76648
This is the kind of motor I was thinking of buying in the future.. It costs $440 AUD, including postage from within Australia. The postage component is actually $18.10. It is a 750w motor, and is speed variable, though the listing does not state to what degree. One of the eBay images shows the data plate on motor, and it says output is 550w, not 750! What IS STATED is that sewing machines with an oil pump (which mine is) should be "run at higher speed on a regular basis to circulate oil". This is something I hadn't thought about, and adds another dimension to consider.

I would not be comfortable with making my own speed reduction device. My welding and engineering skills are very limited. The reality is, I could do more harm than good, and there is a fair chance of that being the case. I'm just not that talented.

The 3 phase thing sounds scary, and a lot of work that I don't want to go to. Far too lazy to reinvent the wheel, or in this case...the electron. I don't mean any offence by this. I'm just not anywhere near as talented as some of you folks are. I need to keep things simple. Sure, I can put a coat of paint on a panel, and apply body filler as well as anyone (though I HATE panelbeating), but on the really clever things I'm often out of my depth, and I need to acknowledge that, so I don't do damage. Eg: My welding has the ability to replicate, in hot metal, a very close resemblence to human vomit, only on a smaller scale! I'm getting better, but nowhere near good enough to weld structurally sound. Therefore, I get someone else to do that for me, then I don't have to worry about catastrophic failure of my own cause.

Getting back to electrons: Two atoms were walking down the street, when one suddenly stops and looks around, then says Oh My, I Think I Have Lost an Electron. The other atom asks Are You Sure? To which, the first atom says, Yes....I'm Positive!!

Why is nothing ever easy?

Last edited by Private_collector; 06-10-15 at 12:08.
Old 25-10-15, 11:25
Tony Baker

Default Different progress, to what was expected.

How does the weather always know when to play up? I got the second pair of my 16" wheels back from the local sandblaster on Wednesday, and intended to paint the inner surfaces today. On cue, today was overcast (OK by me.) with slight but transient and unpredictable drizzle from approximately the time I considered getting the wheels out of the workshop. Incidentally, each wheel set cost me only $20 to blast. I think thats a good deal, and unlike the clowns I used in previous years (now gone bum up) they have things finished when they say they will be ready. They don't leave freshly blasted and unprimed parts out in the rain either.

Name:	dsc_1265-resized-960.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	76976 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1266-resized-960.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	76977 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1267-resized-960.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	76978 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1268-resized-960.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	76979
No matter I can't paint today. I have other things to turn to, including adding footman loops to the front of my fake gun shield, and cutting some of the holes needed. I made the sight apeture sliding door many weeks ago, but only now getting around to making the hole in the shield it covers. I still have to attach a couple of pieces of angle before I attempt cutting the barrel aperture. The extra stiffening will be most aporeciated, I can assure you. Although the plate is 6mm thick, it's aluminium, so every bit of anti-wobble is a real good idea. Having to make a lot of compromises with regards to materials available, but should be presentable.

Name:	dsc_1243-resized-960.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	76980
If nothing else, I have now found a use for a large bag of footman loops I got cheap a couple of years ago!

The delay with painting my wheels, means a delay with getting welding done on gun trails and some other bits. I need to get my currently unpainted wheels finished, and tyres put on, so I can swap them over with the wheels and tyres currently on the grey truck. The wheels I take off the truck will be going back to the chap I bought the truck from. He lives roughly 4hrs drive away. That fellow has offered to do the welding on the trails (weld sides onto the frames I made) and until the wheels are swpped, I wont be making that journey. Another MLU friend has offered to assist with welding the barrel parts together, and also attaching the breech block. Hello, and thanks, Andy! I'm sure I've mentioned before that my welding looks like vomit, and is about as structurally sound too.

The sunshine roof goes to the blasters in two weeks time. I have taken that week off work, so I can get the roof repaired (1x small dent) and painted that same week. Once painted, it will go onto the cab sitting on a low trolley inside the workshop. It's a perfect height to proceed with the making of the canvas roof. That's what I'm REALLY wanting to get my teeth into!
Old 28-10-15, 00:33
Rick Cove

Quote:
No matter I can't paint today. I have other things to turn to, including adding footman loops to the front of my fake gun shield, and cutting some of the holes needed. I made the sight apeture sliding door many weeks ago, but only now getting around to making the hole in the shield it covers. I still have to attach a couple of pieces of angle before I attempt cutting the barrel aperture.
Hi Tony,

I have gone back and re-read many of you posts but have not been able to locate the details of you FAKE GUN PROJECT. What is it or what number thread should I have gone too.

Keep up the great work and running commentary.

Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 29-10-15, 13:37
Tony Baker

Hi Rick,

Probably only mentioned it in passing. Just wanted something to drag behind the truck when it's finished. Some aspects are similar in appearance to 25 pdr, but only to a glance. Have always liked those guns as my very favourite, so I had a natural attraction to that style.

Name:	dsc_0672-resized-960.jpg
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	77045 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0702-resized-960.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	77046 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0121-resized-960.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	77047
Most things will be made from scratch, including the trails. They will be taken to my welding friend, for him to attach steel plate onto both sides of each leg. The barrel consists of sections from a light pole. Breech block I made myself, and the handle (to be shortened) does open and close the loading mechanism. The oil can holder I threw together over a couple of weekends, after I found a reasonably acceptable can at the local swap. As you can see, nothing is spot-on, but it'll do.

Name:	dsc_0069-resized-960.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	77048 Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0103-resized-960.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	77049
When I come across genuine parts I can afford, I grab em. Always scanning ebay for anything I can use. Recent acquisitions include the telescope and tube you see above, and a genuine 25pdr seat.

A fellow MLU member took pity and sent me dimensions for the shield. A real 25pdr in a local park gets occasional visits, for me to measure other bits and pieces.

See next post..