MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 11-05-17, 01:23

Default Morris Commercial C8 Rear Axle Seals

The rear axle seals have a felt ring and a pressed steel cup.
Can someone please tell me which way around the cup fits in the hub.
Does the flat outside face of the cup bear against the felt ring or does the felt fit inside the cup ?
Thanks in advance.
Terry
Old 12-05-17, 22:20

Default C8 rear seal

Hi Terry , I have a C8 that i had the wheels off last winter because there was grease every where , The seal you are talking about was missing completely the cup and felt washer . I had to remove the other side wheel to find out what it looked like , The felt was against the bearing , I had to make a cup then purchase felt to fit it . Paul.
Old 13-05-17, 00:09

Default Felt hub seal

For your interest, these felt seals were still used on Austin, Morris and BMC light commercials right into the 1960's. Unipart, the spares arm of British Leyland, supplied the seal under their part number AMK7487.

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 13-05-17, 09:15

Default felt seals

Thanks for the helpful replies Paul and Richard.
I am using 2 trucks to make one and the first one was dismantled about 5 years ago. Lots of pictures but none that show the way the felt and cup fit.
The second truck was only dismantled 8 months ago but my 79 year old memory has let me down as to which way the cup goes in. Plenty of pics but not one showing this. The manual has a sectional drawing but it is not clear on that detail.
The cup seems to fit either way but I have already wrecked a good cup and felt ring when tightening up the axle tube bearing nut.
The cup must have dropped down as the hub was being fitted over the axle tube.
I was doing it as per the manual which says to fit the distance piece, seal, cup and inner bearing cone onto the axle tube then fit the hub and outer bearing but I now think the whole hub complete with bearings and seal should be assembled and then fitted to the axle tube.
Lucky that I have a spare cup and I have ordered some felt to make some new seals.
With that Unipart number, Richard, I may be able to get some genuine ones if I hunt around.
Meanwhile, I still need to be sure of the correct way the cup and felt go.
Regards, Terry.
Old 13-05-17, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Creighton View Post
Thanks for the helpful replies Paul and Richard.
I am using 2 trucks to make one and the first one was dismantled about 5 years ago. Lots of pictures but none that show the way the felt and cup fit.
The second truck was only dismantled 8 months ago but my 79 year old memory has let me down as to which way the cup goes in. Plenty of pics but not one showing this. The manual has a sectional drawing but it is not clear on that detail.
The cup seems to fit either way but I have already wrecked a good cup and felt ring when tightening up the axle tube bearing nut.
The cup must have dropped down as the hub was being fitted over the axle tube.
I was doing it as per the manual which says to fit the distance piece, seal, cup and inner bearing cone onto the axle tube then fit the hub and outer bearing but I now think the whole hub complete with bearings and seal should be assembled and then fitted to the axle tube.
Lucky that I have a spare cup and I have ordered some felt to make some new seals.
With that Unipart number, Richard, I may be able to get some genuine ones if I hunt around.
Meanwhile, I still need to be sure of the correct way the cup and felt go.
Regards, Terry.
Hi Terry,
It is years since I did this on a Morris, but just looked at the manual and think the best way is as you say, to assemble all bearings, cup and seal to the hub and slide on the axle in one go. This way no damage will be done to cup or seal when fitting.

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 14-05-17, 12:50

Default Felt axle seals

Cheers Richard. That's the way I will do it when I get the felts made.
I have seen a picture of a die that will cut them out. Just have to find the correct tubing to make it with.
Have just looked closely at a pic on post#5 on Mike's thread: "Keeping fit etc"
It appears that the lips of the cup face the bearing cone and the felts is between the flat face of the cup and the distance piece.
(This seems different as to what you have described on your truck Paul)
Regards, Terry