MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The MLU Sappers Mess

Notices

Old 21-03-10, 05:47
Derek Heuring

Default It's on!

I've been given permission to make the official "UNOFFICIAL" announcement regarding the MVPA's Alcan Highway convoy.

IT'S ON!

Final details are to be hammered out at the next AGM of the MVPA but here are the tentative details:

The convoy will leave Dawson Creek on August 4th, 2012. To avoid duplicating the run all the way up and then down the Alcan highway the MVPA is considering a "Figure 8" route which will take us first to Whitehorse, Yukon, then from there cross into Alaska at Chicken, Alaska then head to Anchorage. From Anchorage head North to Fairbanks, thence all the way back along the Alcan highway to Dawson Creek.

Any of these details can and may change and you will soon be able to sign up for the convoy and receive email alerts as to any changes. Dennis Boots will once again be Chief of Maintenance and Terry Shelswell most likely Convoy Leader. Sorry I don't have more details but I will pass them on as I get them.
I'm asking all MLU members along the route to start the buzz in order to gain maximum support. We'll be contacting the cities along the route well in advance of the convoy in order for them to participate in and support the convoy. I'm going to contact my old CME buddies to see if we can garner some support from the Canadian Military and /or Government, as will the Ex-U.S. servicemen here be asking for support from the U.S.

See all y'all in 2012!
Old 21-03-10, 20:40

Default alcan run

thats the best news Ive heard in a while...if Im still alive in 2012 then Ill look forward to seeing you there cheers malcolm
Old 22-03-10, 01:13
David Gordon

That’s going to be a pretty intense road trip with vintage HMVs. Fairbanks to Anchorage is 358 miles and Anchorage to Dawson Creek is 1577 miles. Not sure if my jeep or my butt could handle close to 4000 miles round trip. It will be interesting to follow the planning as they work things out and how far each days driving will be given slower convoy speeds and down time for repairs enroute.
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA Folding Military Bicycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'44 Orme-Evans Airborne Trailer No. 1 Mk. II
'44 Airborne 100-Gallon Water Bowser Trailer
'44 Ford T-16 Universal Carrier
'44 Jowett Cars 4.2-Inch Towed Mortar
'44 Daimler Scout Car Mark II
'45 Studebaker M29C Weasel
Old 22-03-10, 05:05
Derek Heuring

Default Epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsa View Post
That’s going to be a pretty intense road trip with vintage HMVs. Fairbanks to Anchorage is 358 miles and Anchorage to Dawson Creek is 1577 miles. Not sure if my jeep or my butt could handle close to 4000 miles round trip. It will be interesting to follow the planning as they work things out and how far each days driving will be given slower convoy speeds and down time for repairs enroute.

It's going to be quite a trip, even if the plans change and we trailer one way and drive the other. I've calculated that from Corinth, Texas to Fairbanks and back is over 11,000 miles. Personally, in order to take either my CMP or M37 I'll have to share the trip with another MV enthusiast or two as the gas bill alone will exceed $3,000.00. To that add food, lodging, repairs, and time lost from work and I'm looking at close to $10,000.00 net cost. I may have to look at simply flying to Dawson Creek and renting a van to tag along with. In any event I plan on shipping, probably with Dennis, two working 19 sets in order to attempt to send nightly progress reports to the 19 set owner's group and the world. Hopefully there's lots of skip for skywave transmission.
As soon as the MVPA sets up the Alcan Convoy forum I'll post that URL here so everyone can follow the planning and sign up if interested.
Old 05-04-10, 21:38
Canadian Rangers

Default Alcan Run

Just wanted to give you a heads up that the Canadian Rangers will be doing the same trip around the same time and will be doing a Joint ops with the US military as soon as they reach the border.
M152 CDN
VW Iltis and M101 Trailer

Old 28-07-10, 22:46
Canadian Rangers

Default Convoy

Hey not trying to be a pest but I was curious if there has been any headway made on this convoy as it has been well over 2 months since the last word.
M152 CDN

Old 28-07-10, 23:46

Default Alcan

I think there was an article in the most recent MVPA magazine.
Old 29-07-10, 03:43
Derek Heuring

Default Latest on Alcan Convoy

Here's the latest on the convoy:

U.S. convoy participants are to gather in Great Falls, Montana and then drive to Edmonton to meet any Canadian counterparts, then all will convoy to Dawson Creek with an arrival date of August 1, 2012. We'll be spending three days in Dawson Creek to allow all participants time to arrive, check in, check their vehicles, and get their packet orders. August 4th, the convoy leaves and will tentatively be taking an "S" shaped loop through B.C., Yukon, and Alaska eventually ending up in Anchorage. From Anchorage the convoy then leaves for Fairbanks and then a straight run back down the Alcan Highway to Dawson Creek. The only timing set as of this point is the August 1st arrival in Dawson Creek and the departure on the 4th.
As all can well imagine, there is much to do between now and then. The MVPA HQ is allowing some of their staff to help the organizers of the convoy, although the response from the Board of Directors at the annual meeting in Topeka was underwhelming to say the least. As related to me, the majority of the B.O.D.s own trailer queens...some of which don't even have oil in their engines so as to not leave a drip which might lose them a trophy. So, the bulk of the work to organize this event will fall upon Terry and Dennis' shoulders, with a few others helping and there will be little or no financial aid from the MVPA so if you come, plan on being self-sufficient. If anyone knows of any company or person willing to donate fuel or services, please let me know.
I've talked to Terry and Dennis about setting up a registry to match foreign participants to spaces on convoy vehicles and this idea was received warmly so expect to hear more on that. Terry has suggested a set fee to help defray vehicle costs to the owner but I'm going to suggest that that should be negotiated between the vehicle owner and participants as some are more expensive to run and maintain than others. As I said before, there is a lot to work out.
So, currently, all we have is the two dates in Dawson Creek, B.C. August 1st is B.C. day, so that should be a bit of a celebration. I'll post more as I hear it but look for more info coming via the MVPA in the future.

Derek
Old 29-07-10, 10:51

Default alcan highway run

Derek thanks for the update...please keep me posted...best regards malcolm
Old 05-08-10, 21:03

Default Convoy

Ther is a Few of us from Western Command that are commiting to the Convoy .as usuall more as the Convoy nears.
I even informed the wife that I will be gone in 2012
Jeff
Old 08-10-10, 01:16
Derek Heuring

Default Need feet on the ground

The organizers of the Alcan 2012 convoy are looking for people who live on or near the Alcan Highway who would be willing, or have knowledge of the route to give us advice on our choices for fuel, rest, and overnight stops. Terry Shelswell has a tentative schedule for the first 10 days of the convoy that I will forward to the volunteer. Any takers?

Derek.
Old 20-10-10, 18:27
Canadian Rangers

Default Convoy

Feel free to send me what you have I will see what humble advise I can offer since I do live on the highway and plan to participate. My email address is listed, if not you can send any details to gary@thebathfamily.com.

Gary

P.S. as a side note, anyone coming from overseas or even over the border and need a ride or anything else send me a PM.
M152 CDN

Last edited by gary_bath_jr; 20-10-10 at 18:29. Reason: Update information
Old 21-10-10, 00:23

Default Vancouver to mile "0"

I believe john Hawthorne with Western Command is organizing a convoy from the lower mainland to Mile 0 that many of us intend to participate in if not the whole deal.
Old 23-10-10, 11:25
Derek Heuring

Default All the Way and Then Some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Moon View Post
I believe john Hawthorne with Western Command is organizing a convoy from the lower mainland to Mile 0 that many of us intend to participate in if not the whole deal.

C'mon Harry, driving to Watson Lake and then turning around is akin to having sex without an
Old 06-12-10, 04:08

Default MVPA Alcan Hwy trip

Are there any MLU's participating in the Alcan Hwy trip in 2012 ?

I believe there is a problem with vehicle insurance if wishing to ship into the USA from overseas before driving into Canada for the start of the trip .

Has anybody been in this situation before and were able to obtain vehicle insurance in the USA or Canada.

We are shipping from Australia and would like to land on the West coast of the USA and perhaps meet up with some of the group who are heading from the USA to Dawson Creek in Canada.

Regards
Jim S.
Old 06-12-10, 11:19
Derek Heuring

Default Hagerty Classic Car insurance

Jim, I've used Hagerty for years as the insurer for my HMVs and have always been satisfied with their service and price. I just checked their website and they offer International trip vehicle insurance as well as shipping coverage too. You might want to check them out.
Secondly, have you considered joining the Texas convoy? We're leaving Denton which is 5 hours north of Houston approximately 10 days before the start of the convoy. The Houston Shipping Channel is a major shipping area and would in all likelihood have the facilities needed to offload your vehicle whether you ship in a container or Ro/Ro.

Regards, Derek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim sewell View Post
Are there any MLU's participating in the Alcan Hwy trip in 2012 ?

I believe there is a problem with vehicle insurance if wishing to ship into the USA from overseas before driving into Canada for the start of the trip .

Has anybody been in this situation before and were able to obtain vehicle insurance in the USA or Canada.

We are shipping from Australia and would like to land on the West coast of the USA and perhaps meet up with some of the group who are heading from the USA to Dawson Creek in Canada.

Regards
Jim S.
Old 07-12-10, 17:51

Default Insurance

Hagerty's is available here in B.C. now to. Nigel Mathews es: ICBC is part of it and they sponsor car shows and such.
Why not ship to the port of Vancouver and set up camp from here?
Old 08-12-10, 00:26

Default Alcan 2012

Thanks for the replies both Derek and Harry .
We will endeavour to contact Hagerty Insurance and see what is to offer .
At this stage we intend to land on the west coast and have a look around and then meet up with a group heading to Dawson Creek.
Regards
Jim S.
Attached Thumbnails
Blitz C15  Normandy 2009.jpg  
Old 11-12-10, 05:19
Derek Heuring

Default Pre-registered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim sewell View Post
Thanks for the replies both Derek and Harry .
We will endeavour to contact Hagerty Insurance and see what is to offer .
At this stage we intend to land on the west coast and have a look around and then meet up with a group heading to Dawson Creek.
Regards
Jim S.
Jim, Terry Shelswell mentioned that we have one Aussie registered so far for the Alcan Convoy, are you he? Reason I ask is that if more of your compatriots are signing up you may want to hook up with them to possibly save on shipping and convoy as a unit once you're here.

Derek. .
Old 11-12-10, 05:30
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsa View Post
Dave, the longest leg of the trip is approx. 250 miles with many being much less. There are a couple of rest days thrown in, one at Watson Lake to admire the 70,000+ road signs there and another at an AFB in AK. Further, there are 5 drive/rest days where the convoy will only be on the road for 1/2 a day.
I know what you mean about driving a Jeep that distance. I used to be stiff as heck after an hour in my first MV, a '42 GPW. I'd probably end up with Deep Vein Thrombosis if I drove a Jeep every day for a month! Even now with my M37, I still bash my left knee on the window handle every time I lift my leg up to push in the clutch.

Derek