MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 18-12-12, 12:59
Gary

Default 216 engine

Hi, does anyone have a reliable lead or know where to buy a 216 engine for a c60L at a reasonable price, we have been searching for 3 years now and no joy as yet. Am in UK so European supplier preferred though not essential:

Yours in hope and desperation before we scrap our vehicle as a no Hoper of getting an engine

Gary
Old 18-12-12, 14:14

Default Alternates

I don't wish to state the obvious but surely you've looked at the possibility of using something other than a 216? A 235 will fit straight in, either a low pressure WW2 engine or the later full pressure civilian version. You may even look at using one of the larger Chev 6 cylinder engines, Bedford or even a GMC 270 though they are about 1-1/2 inches longer.

If you come across something you think may fit then ask on the forum. Someone will most likely have done it already.

In answer to your question, I do have a couple of 216 engines in the shed though they need rebuilding. Pick up only I'm afraid.

David
Old 18-12-12, 19:24

Gary,
As David says, a Bedford engine will drop in. Think I might have already suggested this on another forum. The 28hp Bedford is a direct relation to the Chevy 216. It was made though to the early Fifties then updated to the 214 engine which carried on to the Seventies. I have used a 214 in direct replacement to a 28hp. The 28hp is actually about 72bhp and a late 214 is about 100bhp, you will have a job to hear the difference from a Chev and parts will be easier in the UK.
regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 18-12-12, 21:01
Gary

Thanks Richard any sources for Bedford dealers or suppliers in Uk as it looks as though this might be the way to go as 216 drought here is holding up getting back on road again lol.

Would there be any other major parts required like clutch mechanisms etc (from mechanical to hydraulic etc) and would the bellhousing be same seeing all are GM motors etc?

Regards

Gary
Old 18-12-12, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaw View Post
Thanks Richard any sources for Bedford dealers or suppliers in Uk as it looks as though this might be the way to go as 216 drought here is holding up getting back on road again lol.

Would there be any other major parts required like clutch mechanisms etc (from mechanical to hydraulic etc) and would the bellhousing be same seeing all are GM motors etc?

Regards

Gary
Hi Gary,
Both have mechanical clutch operation. Gearbox is similar not sure if interchangeable, but where I have seen a 28hp in a Chev, it has the Bedford gearbox. Think Bedford OY or MW, or later civilian models, K, M, O, or J types for the 214.
Try Pete Gaine in Berkshire, he wheels and deals with Bedford vehicles and parts. If you need his number please PM me, rather than posting it on here.
regards, Richard

Old 18-12-12, 21:30

Gary, here is a link to Pete;
http://www.milweb.co.uk/dealers/trad...ford/index.htm

Old 19-12-12, 10:26
Gary

Thanks Richard will give him a try, looks like a better option than import from far off lands lol

All the best for Christmas and 2013

Gary