MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 24-09-16, 00:10
carrier mech

Company claims on their website that many of their tires will be DOT marked.

Bruce: It sure looks o
like the Simex to me, or the old Dunlop TrakGrips. Whatever the case, I hope this deal comes to fruition. Nothing finishes off a restoration like a correct set of skins or ruins it like a set of modern radials.

Last edited by rob love; 24-09-16 at 00:47.
Old 24-09-16, 00:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Company claims on their website that many of their tires will be DOT marked.

Bruce: It sure looks o
like the Simex to me, or the old Dunlop TrakGrips. Whatever the case, I hope this deal comes to fruition. Nothing finishes off a restoration like a correct set of skins or ruins it like a set of modern radials.

They told me that these particular tires aren't DOT marked. I have a sample tire coming. If they are of good enough quality I'll bring in a containers worth if you guys don't.
Ryan

'95 Enfield Military Bullet
'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
‘40 Something Universal Carrier
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.
Old 24-09-16, 04:20

Default working on it.....

Gentlemen: A lot of interest and worth while comments have been shown since Rob posted this entry. I will be in contact with the factory this weekend to get all the poop. And your concerns are well taken. Tony brought forth some interesting facts that I remember, when doing business in Oz. All of Tony's concerns will be considered. And the fact that Ryan has ordered in a sample, would help to show all of us what exactly we are buying. DOT or no DOT...we'll get that confirmed in writing. As far as outside groups... "Ferret Groups" etc. getting on board, personally I don't have a problem with that The choice in this case is yours....buy or not to buy! DOT or No DOT. Your choice.
In as much as pricing, I'll see what I can do from my end for Canada/USA, but keeping in mind the rest of the world. If anyone would like to volunteer to be the country contact, please let me know. I know it would be very helpful for the pricing.
Hoping this all goes "according to Hoyle"...Robert
Old 24-09-16, 06:07

I've already confirmed with the factory that they have no DOT rating. I pm'd you my cell number Robert, give me a call on the weekend.

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.morrison View Post
Gentlemen: A lot of interest and worth while comments have been shown since Rob posted this entry. I will be in contact with the factory this weekend to get all the poop. And your concerns are well taken. Tony brought forth some interesting facts that I remember, when doing business in Oz. All of Tony's concerns will be considered. And the fact that Ryan has ordered in a sample, would help to show all of us what exactly we are buying. DOT or no DOT...we'll get that confirmed in writing. As far as outside groups... "Ferret Groups" etc. getting on board, personally I don't have a problem with that The choice in this case is yours....buy or not to buy! DOT or No DOT. Your choice.
In as much as pricing, I'll see what I can do from my end for Canada/USA, but keeping in mind the rest of the world. If anyone would like to volunteer to be the country contact, please let me know. I know it would be very helpful for the pricing.
Hoping this all goes "according to Hoyle"...Robert

'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.
Old 24-09-16, 21:27
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Hanno .....how many sets can I put you down for? R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Harriman View Post
They told me that these particular tires aren't DOT marked. I have a sample tire coming. If they are of good enough quality I'll bring in a containers worth if you guys don't.
Great find Rob, and I like your entrepreneurial spirit, Robert & Ryan!

I'd be in for a set or two, and there are many dozens interested British/Canadian vehicle owners here in The Netherlands. Most if not all would want to know technical details (load, speed and legal ratings), if they fit British rims and the price, before committing to buy.

Very interested to see how this develops
Old 25-09-16, 03:10

Default Following up....

Gentlemen: I just spoke with Ryan and he has requested the info that we are all looking for. He has also requested one/two tires as samples to try out and give us a report. Getting info out of China is not the easiest thing in the world. So we'll cross one bridge at a time and see where all this goes.
Keep you posted either way......Robert
Old 25-09-16, 05:46
Darcy

I'll commit to 5 tires for the old Ferret ...

Darcy from Alberta, Canada
Old 27-09-16, 19:15

Just a quick update. They have sent me more pictures of the tires which I will post later. There is good news and bad.

They aren't DOT approved and they have no tires in stock to send a sample.

Tire Size 9.00-16
Ply 12
Standard Rim 6.5H
Max Load S/D 1530/1350kg
Pressure 530kpa
Section Width 255mm
Overall Diamete 890mm

Ryan

'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.
Old 27-09-16, 21:44
carrier mech

You said good news and bad news. What was the good news?

The specs look good. Weight rating of 3373 pounds when mounted in singles is enough even to handle a KL welding lorry. Any word from them if there is a speed restriction?

On photos that I saw earlier, it would appear that they will require some skiving to go straight onto the cmp rims, but that is not unusual.
Old 28-09-16, 00:12

'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.
Old 28-09-16, 01:28

Default catch 22

Ryan

Thank you for taking the lead on this project and I hope you have the patience of Job. Sounds like this is catch 22, they can send a picture of a tire but, have no tire to send for a sample. They probably wont produce several tires for a sample but, want a commitment for 100 sets. We await further developments.

Gord
Old 28-09-16, 03:01
carrier mech

DOT or no DOT, I want them. They will fit the bill to a T.

Not sure if it will help, but parts for antique vehicles are not subject to duty no matter what the country of origin. The lack of DOT rating may negate that avenue though.
Old 28-09-16, 05:30

Default Commitment....

So gentlemen, given we have this set back regarding "quality control", (lack of product) who out there would be commited to buying on the fact that the minimum purchase on our end will have to be 100 "sets" of tires....with no DOT rating on them. That would be in my calculations (rough) about half a 20 foot container and a little over 200 sets for a full 20 foot container. Just remember, we pay by the container and not how much is inside it. AND that, in this case, would be FOB Canada.

Looking forward to hearing from y'all! Robert
Old 28-09-16, 12:54
carrier mech

Quote:
So gentlemen, given we have this set back regarding "quality control", (lack of product) who out there would be commited to buying on the fact that the minimum purchase on our end will have to be 100 "sets" of tires....with no DOT rating on them. That would be in my calculations (rough) about half a 20 foot container and a little over 200 sets for a full 20 foot container. Just remember, we pay by the container and not how much is inside it. AND that, in this case, would be FOB Canada.

Looking forward to hearing from y'all! Robert
Rob

While I am definitely in, one detail missing is a price estimate. Without a base price from the factory, it is all a moot point. If the tires ended up being $500 each, I would be taking much less of them than I anticipate. If they were $150 each, the hoarder in me would want to fill the shed.
Old 28-09-16, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Rob

While I am definitely in, one detail missing is a price estimate. Without a base price from the factory, it is all a moot point. If the tires ended up being $500 each, I would be taking much less of them than I anticipate. If they were $150 each, the hoarder in me would want to fill the shed.
Too Robs point, ditto.
Old 28-09-16, 22:37

I expect them to be around $350 a tire with tube and boot once they are landed. A 20ft can will hold about 200 tires.

'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.
Old 07-10-16, 20:11

Default Out of the blue

Hi All

One the topic of tires from China, because of my website Canadianmilitarypattern.com (it's the .com that gets them) I get a steady stream of Chinese company e-mailing asking if I need bearings, lights, etc made. The latest concerning tires from

" Global Excel Tyres - sales27@toptires.cn "

I've had some interesting offers over the years that I never respond to. The kicker was the offer of T-72 tanks, only sold in lots of 30 or more, and they were not talking toy or model tanks.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 07-10-16, 22:01
Bluebell

So How many are you going to order Phil

On the tyres. This may not be an issue to you Canadian based guys, but I heard (but not had confirmed) that our (N.Z.) customs will confiscate any non DOT marked tyres coming into this country.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 07-10-16, 22:38
carrier mech

That can happen here if the tire is being brought in for highway vehicles. One must use the term "implement tire" when importing these.
Old 24-10-16, 00:27

Neil Goodrich of Marathon Spares in Australia has a container of military tyres on the water including about 100 900-16. He says they are made to order by MRL (not MRF) in India and the price is very good. He guesses they will sell here well under $300AU/CD. These are standard ND bar treads but I understand they have other patterns available.

Being Indian there is a chance they have chevron moulds on hand. http://www.mrltires.com/products/ If you look in their catalog under "tractor trailer tyres" you will find a few 9.00-16 patterns they carry as standard.

If they are similar to the Indian MRF they will be as good as any tyre in the world. You must order a full container but they will mix types. He is filling the box with 6.00 and 7.50-16

Do not know about DOT stamp but if not, as someone suggests, they should be brought in as "implement" or "off-road" tyres

If you want the modern 255 equivalent Yellow Sea tyres they are reputed to be good quality. Reason why they are Michelin knock-offs is apparently Michelin is the major shareholder in Yellow Sea. Dare I suggest that Yellow Sea might be producing Michelin branded tyres for some markets?

Lang

Last edited by Lang; 24-10-16 at 06:03.
Old 24-10-16, 08:01
Tony Baker

Be VERY sure about the correct bead angle, and any other specs you must have, before you order. These peddlers make a living out of being less than straight with buyers they think they may lose a sale from.
The size, manner of supplier gently evading specifics, lack of sample, country of manufacture, and tyre dimensions all sound INCREDIBLY CLOSE to the way my friends transaction went.
We have consumer laws in first world countries, India and the like, do not.

My friend is still selling from his batch of tyres, 9.0 x 16" that will fit Land Rovers, 25pdr and the like, but won't fit CMPs (according to 'professional' fitters). Those tyres are already here in Australia, and cost well under the guesstimated $300AUD mark. They come with liners and tubes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image0.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	86013
Foot Note: The tyres have actually been fit to CMP rims, but there is a trick to it apparently.
Old 24-10-16, 09:07

There was a fellow in Allora (Tony is this your mate?) who brought in a nice looking batch of 9.00-16 NDT tyres a couple of years ago. Only problem was although the size on the tyre said 9.00-16 they were actually 7.50-16!

I believe the Asian supplier replaced with the correct size (and probably fired the guy who puts the writing in the moulds)

I don't think people need to get too xenophobic - please explain (Aussie joke)- about Asian suppliers. Nearly everything you wear, every bit of high tech stuff, your entire household equipment and probably your car is made somewhere in Asia.

I have had little problem with Asian suppliers regarding quality or delivery. My biggest rip-offs have been from USA (false description, wrong item or short count, non delivery and claims of non-payment despite Paypal records, over many years)

These Asian companies are multi-million dollar corporations and produce whatever is asked for by distributors and onsellers - cheap and nasty or Rolls Royce standard. Unlike western manufacturers many do not have their own branded dealers in many countries and sell through relatively tin-pot companies in each area or mini-entrepreneurs like us wanting just one container. Some will put your personal brand on tyres for runs as small as a couple of hundred.

99% chance any problems are not with the quality of the tyres or manufacturer's dispatch but all the various wholesalers, distributors and dealers. This is made worse by the expectations of amateur importers who do not understand the risks, costs and red tape involved in bringing one-off shipments of goods into western countries.

In my experience you have probably a better chance of a smooth ride dealing with Asian companies than you will with western countries. Your import shipping/customs agent is the make or break and some are incompetent - ask around.

Lang

Last edited by Lang; 24-10-16 at 09:27.
Old 24-10-16, 12:02
Tony Baker

Yes Lang, the fellow at allora is my mate. The tyres I'm speaking of are same as seen on my 25pdr wheels.

I stand by my statements. They are made following experiences as learnt by self and others in the past.
Buyer beware.
Old 24-10-16, 12:17

Tony

Aren't 25 pounder wheels flat British rims identical to CMP (the rim section not the centres)? If they went on them they should go on CMP?

Lang

Last edited by Lang; 24-10-16 at 12:24.
Old 24-10-16, 23:06
Tony Baker

I don't know if there are any differences, Lang. I can't explain why they go onto 25pdr wheels but not CMP wheels, if they are the same. There must be small but significant variation somewhere?!?! The gun wheels did have some rust scale that I knocked away before having them sandblasted. I wonder if that worked in my favour. Whatever the case, I'm happy.

Name:	20160724_162357-resized-1024.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	86018 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160724_162645-resized-1024.jpg
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	86019 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160724_162703-resized-1024.jpg
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	86020

Name:	20160724_162344-resized-1024.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	86021

Of course, when I say they 'don't' go on CMP rims, I really mean that tyre fitters can't do the job. My friend, the seller, can get them on. In fact, when I get back home again at the end of the week, I'll be taking my remaining wheels to him (5hr round trip) and he will fit the tyres to them all, while I wait!

From the photo of tyre on CMP wheel previously posted, you can see the equipment he used for the task. I will watch him fit the remaining tyres, ask questions, and most importantly....take photos. If I understand correctly, all you need is tyre fitting grease, some threaded rod and nuts, and a compressor. It sounds pretty straight forward actually. The tyres are definately 9.0 x 16", and they were the replacement batch for the ones that supplier sent of incorrect size (7.5 x 16").

I'll be buying enough tyres to put a set on the grey (for now) CMP, a couple for spares, and another full set for a future project.
Old 25-10-16, 01:22

Tony

They look pretty good.

I have put many American style tyres (tapered bead) on blitz rims and never had a problem. If you have to change them when very new they can be a bugger to get off. After a bit of running they seem to take a set to the flat rim shape and seem easier to remove.

Also ran for thousands of kilometres with a 1/2 ton dodge with British flat bead tyres on the American rims with no problems. All not too kosher but I am very surprised you found a tyre fitter who had ever seen these rims let alone started jacking up on the "secret" difference between rim styles - must have been an old time tradesman. Everyone I have been too in the last few years with military rims asks how to get them apart and when I come back says it was a hell of a job.

You might put up your mate's contact details as there are lots of people after 9.00-16 at a reasonable price.

Lang
Old 25-10-16, 02:50

I'm still working on this. I'm just waiting on a quote for some other tires so I can up it to a 40ft container.

Ryan

'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.
Old 26-04-17, 23:13
MLU Administrator

BTT - any updates available on this, guys?

I'm looking for a set of tyres, all I can find really are NDCC bar grips.

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 13-05-17, 12:57
MLU Administrator

"Standard rim 6.5H" means these tyres are for American rims which are 6.5-inch wide. Commonwealth spilt rims are 6-inch wide, and of course 0.25-inch larger in diameter.

If this pattern is available on the European market I would turn down my rims to make them fit, though!

Did anyone have any luck sourcing these?

Thanks,
Hanno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Harriman View Post

Old 13-05-17, 20:30
Tony Baker

Seems activity has died down, Hanno.