MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 21-12-16, 00:54

John, I have sent a PM, thought I would add a photo of the NOS roof hatch latches.

Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Humber 108.jpg  
1 x 1945 FMC 1/4 Ton Trailer (restored)
1 x 1942 Bantam 1/4 Ton Trailer (restored)
Old 22-12-16, 13:10

Dave i suck at all this technology thing ,i think i have sent a PM back,let me know if it didnt happen,cheers. John
Old 08-01-17, 09:20

Dave having trouble PMing you,package arrived ,all good you can ring me 0404 391 719 if you can.thanks John
Old 16-05-17, 13:23

Default the path less travelled(paint wise)

hi guys,i had finished the cab panel and paint back in feb but had a lot of other jobs to catch up on so haven't posted any thing in a while,
Painted her in olive drab after i changed my mind (something about shiny paint feeling wrong on a "combat" vehicle) so may not be the done thing as i have no idea of any Aust army humbers being refinished in OD as they were being sold off at the time of Australias early involvement with Vietnam which caused operational changes with regard to paint etc.
I have deliberately left interior as original as i like the lived in patina,so would not be hard to repaint the exterior in DBG in the future if so needed.
Front bumper needed straightening out which i have done but not refitted as yet,and only have the NOS hatch latches that i got off Dave Mills,and to aquire some park lights for guards and lh mirror bracket and cab is basically done.
Gumtree in Perth presented me with an opportunity for some good 9.00x20 O.Z. ndcc tyres on some dodge rims for $200 ex USA import vehicle that owner was modifying and consequently did not use.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
Old 17-05-17, 08:45

Dave still having trouble pm ing you,yeah am interested just cant seem to be able to reply.Cheers John
Old 17-05-17, 10:08

Two NOS lights one DBG the other unpainted. The box also contains a red filter for one only and as you can see the blackout attachment is also fitted.

I don't like airing the $ on the forum I will PM you; if interested reply via the thread.
Cheers,
Dave.
Attached Images

Old 17-05-17, 11:35

Thanks Dave i will await the imminent arrival of your PM
Old 18-05-17, 10:19

Good to see the paint going on John.
I have seen a couple of Humber's in this colour, painted post service to my knowledge.
The DBG they were delivered in was slightly different to the usual Australian version, but you won't need to worry about that.
The pommy ones that saw service in the middle east were painted in sand yellow, and look quite good, personally I think a glossy finish highlights all those voluptuous curves!
Always had a secret hankering to paint mine a deep glossy midnight blue, no accounting for taste....
Rich.
Old 18-05-17, 11:04

Gday Rich,a deep dark blue would prob go nice on one of these,a forkie at my workplace said he saw the red one with plexiglass dome last weekend,there may have been a car show on somewhere ,i hope to maybe inspect it one day just to see whats what and where'on another one.
With winter fast approaching i will get the tub and rear guards back under cover and make a start on them.
My son and i dragged his REO m35 6x6 home a couple of months ago and we still have to bring back the 1971 inter 6x6 F1 GS,they are future projects and will have to sit for a while why we finish other long term projects but we needed to get them home,the REO has had all of its data plates souvenired whilst being used as a drill rig vehicle ,it is actually a m36(LWB) and we cant tell what year she is unless there is a chassis no list somewhere that we can date it off.
How is your beast coming along. cheers John
Old 18-05-17, 11:11

dave still wont let me PM you,but yeah would love them ,do you still want to stick with prev arrangement?
Old 18-05-17, 11:17

I have seen photos of the red one, the Perspex dome would not rust out at least.
The best thing is seeing a Humber driving down the road, they have a real presence, one of those rare vehicles that bring a smile to everyone's face, so hope you catch up with the red one soon.
Mine is still waiting for the cab to be finished paint wise, I really hate painting! If I keep putting it off long enough my daughter will be a fully fledged painter, and I won't have to worry about it at all..
Got side tracked recently with desire to fit the original style seats in the back, so not feeling so guilty about lack of progress.
Rich.
Old 18-05-17, 11:47

No problems John send me your address and I will post them and let you know the $ them you can place it into my account. Glad to assist with the Humber a fantastic vehicle indeed. Completed 1500k's in ours recently at 10.1miles per Gallon at 45 MPH what a drive the old girl never missed a beat.
Dave.
Old 18-05-17, 13:07
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith View Post
highlights all those voluptuous curves!
Rich.
You have a fetish going on Please enlighten us with the lurid details
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 18-05-17, 13:34

Sorry Mike, Gentleman never tells and all that, all I can say is that she is overweight, over 65, and very high maintenance.
Rich.
Old 18-05-17, 14:04

Rich,Dave,Mike,
i think those curves etc are why i like not only the Humber,but a lot of the 30s,40s,50s and early 70s cars,trucks locos and planes ,functional but with flair and pizazz stuff missing from a lot of newer offerings.
Also square and chunky get me going with military types,functional and purposeful with nary a thought for beauty or aerodynamics.
MPG is not that bad Dave ive had cars that dont do much better than that,fuel prices dont help in todays world tho.
I cant wait to hear the sound of the b60 and driveline noises over the top of bar tread tyres on bitumen,something i used to like hearing on old series landies and Inters rumbling along on the odd occasions a convoy went past me somewhere back in time that i had been lucky enough to witness.
Its good to see you guys getting these things out and about and not just letting them sit in sheds etc,their a bit too heavy to be trailer queens so would be bloody great to see a line of these rolling down the road under their own steam again in one place(just dreaming).
Do we actually have a count on how many roadworthy or fairly complete vehicles that are still known to exist in Australia?
Old 18-05-17, 14:13

Dave will have to do it this way sorry,this PM thing is bloody frustrating.
John Piercey 145 Grandis rd Morangup ,Western Australia,6083
Old 19-05-17, 10:27

John,
Don't know the actual amount of road going Humbers, but the number has increased the last couple of years. I know of five over this side, pretty sure there are two or three over your way, and a couple more that were running in the last ten years or so. Best guess would top out at 15? We could say about 10% of the original order.
The amount of "fairly complete" depends on your definition, as any complete Humber that has sat unmolested for the last 20 or 30 years would still require a heap of work to put back on the road. There are probably another 10% that are on the way, or require minimum (in Humber terms) work to bring back up to speed.
At last count there are four "Only rust free Humber in Australia".....Mine was one, until I found out were to look.
And of course there is a Pig in Melbourne(?) according to one of our forum members.
Rich.
Old 19-05-17, 11:41

Thanks Richard, ours is truly rust free and unless another one has been broken down to the bare chassis, acid dipped and carefully rebuilt I will say that ours is the only truly rust free Humber and I would challenge any claimant for the crown.😆

John, will post the parts hopefully tomorrow and pm you the overall cost

I adore the Humber with its shape and grunt but am amazed at how easily they rust far to many nooks and crannies for dirt and water to collect.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 20-05-17, 10:38

Ok Dave thanks mate
Old 20-05-17, 10:44

Rich there are 4 that i know of ,mine,10th light horse one,red one and Rob Sextons here in the west,possibly another couple unknowns
Old 20-05-17, 11:37

Have recently purchased an original R.E.M.E. workshop manual ex UK,its dated 1966 and covers the fv1600 and pig.Loose leaf and an old style ring bound type,which does not line up with modern binders,but my lovely wife sorted it out now looks good.
Covers nearly everything i need to know and with plenty of pics it shows what is missing off mine EG the reinforcing behind the spare wheell on the inside back panel (looks to have been welded a few times then discarded the last time it broke!),and the compressor,plus the D rings on front bumper,nothing major and nothing that really detracts from its looks.
Old 20-05-17, 12:04

John, impossible to do with out!
Also just as handy is the spare parts manual. Particularly as most of your parts are numbered, you can find out where the mystery parts belong, how many you should have, and even what holds them in place.
Rich.
Old 23-05-17, 11:28

hi Dave,Rich,unless you have already spotted this,there is a guy on gumtree in port Lincoln SA looking for IFO which i presume is info and service books for a fv1600.
i have given him some basic (where to) info re manuals etc,he replied with a heap of pics that didnt work but i think they are pics on his other ad anyway. Thought he may have come back with a barrage of questions but just got ok thanks.
if anyone is interested they might get some more out of him,at very least may get chassis numbers of at least another one that still survives,photo of tub brass plate indicates nos of cb61101 (i think) which if like mine matches ch no its one of the higher numbered ones.
Bridge plate has an E.R. Elizabeth Regina ? sticker on it?
lLook up" wanted: ifo wanted "or" wanted service books" name of Troy.
Cheers John
Old 23-05-17, 11:31

Ad id no is 1147163456 under other automotive
Old 23-05-17, 14:19

John, gotta love it when you go out of your way and get a disinterested reply.
Periodically I get requests like this for Humber based information, my first step is to send a link for some of the Humber threads here on MLU, then depending on nature of request;
http://anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/oth...rtruckph_1.htm
or
http://www.livesteammodels.co.uk/dhmg/humb003.html
Occasionally I get an actual reply ( thanks ), about 5% of the time the information is gratefully received and acted upon in some way.
I guess the links above give all the information that is required, so it is only the few diehards that get through to the next stage.
Being a Humber owner can be a black hole of time wasted in so many ways...

The link to the Gumtree ad:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/port...oks/1148000971

Dave, that's the dustiest Humber I've seen since Bookham.
Rich.
Old 24-05-17, 10:14

Just love the muffler fitted directly to the manifold looks a bit like a tractor.

Yes, very dusty at least Bookhams was as close to 100% as you would find.

The rear of the tub missing is an interesting adaption.

Seems to be a lot of Humbers surfacing at the moment. OH the unititiated.

John, has the package arrived?
Dave.
Old 24-05-17, 11:43

Dave,sidelights rocked up today, their great!,something about NOS stuff sorta takes you back a bit when you think how old they are but "brand new"at the same time.
While we are on that subject do you know if Oztankboy still around? i see he posted that he had some new fuel tanks and bits and pieces a few years back at the beginning of his post on humbers ,or are they long gone?
will get payment under way and let you know when its sorted i think my wife has your acc details'
cheers John
Old 24-05-17, 11:55

Is there any indication or references any where as to what side etc for blackout light to be be fitted or should there have been maybe 2?,and where/what would you use the red filter for? i presume there would be an army instruction (maybe not just for the Humber) but use of lighting in convoy/blackout use for most vehicles ,i know the white painted diff centre would have to be a part of it'
Thanks John
Old 24-05-17, 13:04

Hello John, the red lens is for the Ultra Violet stuff, you can get the filters for the headlamps also and then all you need are the goggles and you are away. If I was you I would remove the tube and just run both front side lights the same.

With the fear of telling you how to suck eggs.

As far as the rear convoy light you would have noticed that the rear diff centre is not painted white in its place is a white bridge plate bolted to the chassis and a number plate light attached to a carefully shaped bracket which illuminates the white plate when on blackout lights.

if you look at my Humber thread you will spot a picture of the rear end without the tub on showing the plate and lamp. I do have a NOS lamp if you require one.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 24-05-17, 13:52

Dave,i have seen bedford RL and some landys etc vehicles with the centre white so just assumed it was common practice since time immemorial,so will check out pic of yours to see how its done,thanks for that.
John