MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 01-01-17, 19:09
carrier mech

Default Somone travelling from the East thru to Manitoba

Hoping someone can help me out. I am wanting to procure 8 or 10 gallons of the Cdn olive colour of paint from Brian Asbury. It is the one colour that I can't accurately match up using the Gillespie paints from Rapco.

If anyone is coming from that way to this way anytime in the new year, let me know so we can see what arrangements can be made. I know that Wayne from Alberta (along with others) are also after this paint....it won't all be for me. Some will be for the Shilo museum as well.
Old 01-01-17, 23:22

Default paint

Mulvahill? if his leave is not over,
Old 02-01-17, 01:18

Hey Rob , for what period is that colour correct ? Thanks . Robert
94 LSVW
Old 02-01-17, 02:04
carrier mech

Robert

It is the olive colour from the late 60s, 70s, 80s, and kind of wound down in the 90s. There are still hints of it out there on some of the MLVWs, but it has drastically faded over the years. It is similar to the colour of the old combats back when they were new.
Old 03-01-17, 02:49

I would be interested in a few gallons myself, you think we could gather enough folks to make shipping a small crate or pallet out this way commercially viable Rob?

John
Old 03-01-17, 05:56
carrier mech

John

I'll arrange for some spare cans if all works out. You can likely pick it up during your border raid of barrels and artillery tractor.
Old 04-01-17, 04:08

Excellent! And hey...that's top secret! Don't alert the prairie border patrol!
Old 04-01-17, 05:10
carrier mech

I am the Western Border patrol. I am sure you have applied for the appropriate permits? I have been fooled before.
Old 04-01-17, 06:02

Permits appear to be made of funny plastic paper with faces of all manner of historic figures from the queen on up....I think you will find they are in order!
Old 10-01-17, 20:51

Default Set the record straight

Sorry Rob I can’t help you with the transport of the paint…but thought I should set the record straight on a couple “cross border posts” …For the record, The historical items were subject to the mandatory cross-border removal 120 day waiting/cooling down period, this was strictly adhered to. The official appeal process that was offered to the aggrieved locals went unchallenged. So as such… All required permits were issued by the authorized (westerly bound material/items) permit officer, on duty in Shilo (permit #7625683).

More photos of officer found here; http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...t=rick+debruyn
You will find the permit officer happily assisting with loading and removal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26441

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcm
Thanks Rob, also very helpful...now I understand why the locals in Manitoba wanted to convene a war crimes tribunal when allegations of you aiding and abetting the smuggling of rear FAT cargo body to the nether regions of Alberta surfaced!

Originally Posted by rob love
I thought he had the permits. I couldn't fathom anyone poaching such a treasure without a permit.....so unbelievable that, to my never dying shame, I did not ask.
Attached Thumbnails
MB permited removal 04.jpg   MB permited removal 01.jpg   MB permited removal 02 Loading crew.JPG   MB permited removal 03.jpg  
Old 10-01-17, 23:56

Default A photo of Rob?

I can't believe they were able to photograph Rob! He usually is pretty good at avoiding the camera. He must have been very tired at that moment. Most of the Prairie Command photo's over the years are of Rob's hand covering the shot. The photo of Rob just standing there is more rare than the Field Artillery Tractor body that was found! Well done.
Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 11-01-17, 00:24
carrier mech

Hey, if I was foolish enough to let (ney,even assist) the poaching of an artillery shell from the province, then the photo is a minor thing in comparison.

Perhaps someone slipped something into my drink that day.
Old 11-01-17, 04:20

I am starting to get nervous about this entire upcoming operation...permits or not, that Manitoba seems like a lawless land with roving bands of MV bandidos demanding pesos in exchange for safe passage...just look at those pictures...who would trust any of those ruffians? I may need backup!
Old 12-01-17, 01:39

PM sent Rob. This just may happen next week!
1951 PE-95K Gen Set
MVPA
Cdn Forces 1986-2006
Old 18-01-17, 22:37
carrier mech

So in discussions with Peter, it may well happen. We'll see how much room he has in the backseat of his car.

Will advise, so thanks to the others who have offered, but stand down for now.

Of course, even the max paint available from Brian right now will only satisfy our hunger for a very short period of time.

Last edited by rob love; 20-01-17 at 06:18.
Old 20-01-17, 03:25

Looks like we are going to have some paint parties!! ...I cant wait.
Thanks Peter, for making things happen.
Old 22-01-17, 17:06

Default The MLU Member Network is Great!

We made it back to Cold Lake last night after three long days of travel. Here's the list of who made this trip work out:

Thanks to Brian Asbury for making the paint available on our schedule and providing spot on directions for pick up. The little "extra" I got was a nice touch I might say, wink, wink!

I had a side deal going on to sell some parts to Peter Simundson who graciously met me at Brian's place. It was nice to meet you Peter and I hope you enjoy your lights!

Rob, it was a pleasure to meet you in person and thanks for the heads up on the alternate travel route and restaurant suggestion, it all worked out perfect! Wayne's paint will be in his hands shortly.
1951 PE-95K Gen Set
MVPA
Cdn Forces 1986-2006
Old 22-01-17, 17:28
carrier mech

Thank you Peter, now I just have to wait for it to warm up a little so I can actually use the paint. Shame you did not have more time and we could have headed in to Shilo to view the collection, but I fully understand about getting where you need to go when driving.

I looked over the road advisory maps a couple times hoping that I didn't make a mistake having you take the TransCanada to Regina, then travel Northward, rather than the yellowhead up to Saskatoon. Fortunately it stayed unseasonably warm, and the roads were wet but not iced up. The divided double lanes are normally the better choice over the primarily single lane non-divided yellowhead.

I have temporarily depleted Brian's paint supply, but will be after more in the future. It is nice to finally have the correct Canadian olive green, as opposed to making do with the closest available US gillespie colours.
Old 22-01-17, 18:19
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phillips View Post
The MLU Member Network is Great!
Peter, that is good to hear!

I always enjoy reading about the recovery journies undertaken through the hints and leads on MLU and the helpful attitude among CMP enthusiasts and MLU members.

Hanno

PS: anyone who values this forum, please Support Maple Leaf Up
Old 19-05-17, 22:18
carrier mech

So a follow up on Brian's paint: Brian puts a splotch of it on the lid. It looked a little dull and I was slightly worried it was not the colour I remembered. On opening the can I could see the yellows had slightly separated, so it took a bit of stirring to get it blended. Into the gun and added some xylene, I quickly sprayed a small trailer here at the museum in preparation for a parade in a few weeks. The colour was pretty close to what I remembered. I recall that that particular colour makes me smile....it is a happy olive shade, especially compared to that dry looking flat green that is also in those cam patterns. On spraying, it looked a little too olive, but on drying, I am positive it is correct.

Thanks to Brian for supplying the right colour, and to Peter for picking it up and bringing it out to here.

Funny how a guy can remember a colour like that, yet I can forget annual events like birthdays and anniversary's repeatedly.

Edited to add: the Canadian olive colour from the old CGSB std paint colours is 503-321. These were made obsolete sometime in the early 80s I believe. Interestingly enough, the NSN for the olive drab paint gives the Cdn spec number of 503-321 and also gives a paint chip number of 34083, which on the net is referred to as Airforce Green. So there you go, a US federal spec on our olive green. However, I don't believe RAPCO carries that colour in the Gillespie paint, so I will have to satisfy myself with whatever amounts I can get from Brian Asbury via the MLU express..

Last edited by rob love; 19-05-17 at 22:28.
Old 23-06-17, 06:35

[QUOTE=rob love;237990]...Into the gun and added some xylene,... QUOTE]

Rob: any advice on the mixing ratio of paint to xylene you were using with that paint, or do you go by "feel"?
Old 23-06-17, 14:12
carrier mech

Brian's paint is quite thick, so yes, you go by feel. The Gillespie paint can almost be sprayed with no reduction, so for it perhaps 5 to 10%. For Brian's paint, closer to 20-25%. If you pull your stir stick from the mix, it should run off easily and just start to drip. The biggest indicator is how it sprays. If you find you have to raise the air pressure to get it to spray, and it still does not come out well, then the paint is too thick.