MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 20-01-11, 09:16
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Updating 1942 mb willys jeep

Hi Fellow Restorers

I have been restoring my MB Willys Jeep for the last 6 months and am just at the stage where I have to add some modern updates to the Jeep so I can get it registered.

When I purchased the Jeep it had a set of old flashing turning indicators fitted, activated by a HELLA Universal Indicator Switch attached to the steering colum. I have fitted new LED lights to the rear and front of the Jeep, which look rather nice. However after 2 days of frustrating work the switch does not work properly and after taking it to the Auto electrician, I was told is is no good. A new replacement can be obtained for $240.00 which is I believe a bit rich and my finance minister would no doubt have a conorary.

Have any of you restorers out there fitted turning lights to their Jeep and what did you use, where did you purchase a reasonably priced colum switch. I have seen some on the internet in the USA starting at $49.00 but they will not send one to me because of warranty problems with sending to an overeas country.

Can anyone help..

Little Jo
Old 20-01-11, 09:58

Hi Tony,
I assume you are after something like this:

http://www.genr8.net.au/product.php?part_id=271933

A universal stalk indicator to fit on the column.
No price on this one, but the last similar one I brought (admittedly 4 or 5 years ago) was about $35.00. You do not have to use a column switch, any decent 3 way switch fitted in the dash will do the job, and also fill an unwanted hole in some cases. As these switches are generally not self cancelling, I suggest a good buzzer as well.
You need to shop around a little, some auto electrical wholesalers are very helpful!
If you do get desperate I will get a price from my local bloke, unfortunatley he also owns a Jeep, there is just no accounting for taste.
Rich
Old 20-01-11, 09:58
Graeme Jamieson

Default Indicator switch

Just a little cheaper.
http://www.abouttimespares.com.au/showpart.asp?id=28816
Old 20-01-11, 10:11
Graeme Jamieson

Default Lower still

http://www.eziautoparts.com.au/12-vo...ch-7-wire.html
Old 21-01-11, 10:06
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Column stalk indicators

Richard - Graeme

Thanks Guys for the sites. Richard you done it again, that is exactly the one I had on the Jeep that was US The picture shown to me in the Catalogue at the Auto Electrician is the same as yours. He quoted $240.00 for the unit, I think he was taking me for a fool, just because I am restoring a Jeep he must think I have cash coming out my ears. Time to change auto electrician.

Thank again guys.

Little Jo
Old 23-01-11, 02:47
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Indicators

Hi All

Thanks to the assistance from fellow MLU members, I have now located and puchased a "Switch, Flasher Indicator Unit". Not exactly as the one originally on my Jeep, but I think a better one as it also has a 4 way warning switch. I found it on Amazon and after a few tries I found one that they would send overseas. I did not pay the $240.00 as originally quoted by my auto electrician, but I got it for. US$22.95 + Frieght of $19.15 Total cost delivered to my door for AUD$44.21. A big difference in price, so thanks again guys. Photo of the purchased unit attached.

Cheers

Little Jo
Attached Thumbnails
Scan10074.jpg  
Old 23-01-11, 05:34

You could have fitted the mechanical hand signal as they were a common addition to the Aussy Jeeps.
Took a Jeep fitted with one of these to the local Primary School for "Show and "Tell one year. They were fascinated with the hand, 30 thank you letters with drawings delivered next day, 29 of which highlited the Hand, which also came top of the "what I liked best list".
You do not get that reaction with amber lights!!
Nice to see the matter resolved at an acceptable price.
Rich.
Old 23-01-11, 11:31

Tony,

I hope your old switch is bad after all that trouble but I should tell you I recently fitted a similar switch to a 1915 Willys Overland with small LED lights.

Working perfectly before, now does not go!!!!

The reason is LED does not draw enough power to activate the flasher unit - you can change switches and flasher cans all day long and nothing will happen.

The answer is to put an old fashioned globe in the circuit (hide it up under the dash). If you use a double contact stop/tail globe you only need one. Just solder (or use an old original tail light socket with wires) one filament in to each of the left and right flasher circuits. Of course you can use a separate single globe for each circuit.

This fixed it for me.

Lang
Old 23-01-11, 11:52
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang View Post
The reason is LED does not draw enough power to activate the flasher unit - you can change switches and flasher cans all day long and nothing will happen.

The answer is to put an old fashioned globe in the circuit (hide it up under the dash). If you use a double contact stop/tail globe you only need one. Just solder (or use an old original tail light socket with wires) one filament in to each of the left and right flasher circuits. Of course you can use a separate single globe for each circuit.
You can also put a small resistor in series with the circuit

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"
Old 23-01-11, 21:51
WO8 C15A 142736

Or buy a flasher can marked LED use only
Old 24-01-11, 08:53
Tony VAN RHODA

Hi Guys

Thanks for getting back to me, some interesting advice and I will surely check it out. The Flasher cannister I have is for LED. I guess it will be a case of trial and error. Hopefully it will all work out as I need it to be working so I can take it to the government garage for their OK so I can get the Jeep registered.

Cheers

Tony

Little Jo