MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 14-12-09, 19:19
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adame View Post
Hey Jordan

And theres nothing more sloppy or in appropriate than an over weight guy trying to wear a ww2 uniform
Yes there is: over weight guys with a pony tail, unbuttoned jacket, hands in pockets, pizza style beret, pants un-bloused, and ankle boots or runners where there should be combat boots. Add to that rank badges, medals, or stripes that were never earned. Seems like, too often, everyone is a sergeant.

Any one or combination of these will give a negative image to serving and retired members of the forces. The general public may or may not recognize all of them.

I have used mannequins in the past for static displays. For parades I have gone with battle dress and helmet, but normally change over to civvies for the static.
Old 14-12-09, 19:39
Banned

Default Thats true.

hahaha your right on that one.

Adame
Old 14-12-09, 20:49

Default re-enactors

your right there...once at a re-enactment show in Netherlands we had a Royal Signals Officer with plastic polar bear badges on his uniform!when the TV company arrived he deserted his post and drove over to the crew on a wartime Ariel M/Cycle....I had a word with the 2 rather large Dutch MP's and all you saw on the news report was him being lifted away!Rank sometimes has its privled...also have to say while Im on my soapboxes those Dutch guys cant be beat for proper/correct re-enacting...best wishes to all malcolm a.k.a. Col.Bogey
Old 15-12-09, 10:59
C8AX Ambulance (NZ), UC1*

Default The main issue, in my opinion,

Is that we wear a uniform correctly.

Those who have done service know the little details that make the wannabes stand out. Long hair styles, jewellry, piercings!!! etc don't fit with the period unless we have modern vehicles perhaps!

I take the view that the vehicle should look authentic on the road as well. Hence I pack our stuff in canvas kitbags, and ammo boxes etc so a following motorist doesn't see yellow or blue containers, or worse. A canvas cover also works too.

In some vehicles, a green shirt and cap may be sufficient, but in a jeep or similar, green coverals or similar muted clothing looks a heck of a lot better than yellow PVC rain coats.

If you aren't comfortable with a uniform, then by all means go with the green overalls.

I get the kids to wear Jungle Greens when we go to events with the public present. They are more comfortable than BDs in our climate, but still look the part.

my tuppence worth
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Tank Days 09 032.jpg  
Old 15-12-09, 20:25

Default re-enactor status

Bob if you happen to run across my good friends in NZ the Cross Family(Hotchkiss Tank) please pass on my greetings and best wishes (Ive lost contact email address)...many thanks and compliments of the season to you....malcolm