MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 08-10-06, 14:40

Default Exhaust pipe question

Hi everyone

Im having a bit of trouble getting the exhuast pipes made up for my carrier. I need to go from the cast floor brackets to the muffler and then do the tight bend at the top.

What Im wondering is can I use electrical conduit piping for most of my needs? I believe it is called EMT conduit or somthing to that effect.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Jordan
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 08-10-06, 15:47
carrier mech

For the pipes that run from the manifold to the floor, get a set of pipes with the rough bend made up at the muffler shop. Have them made a bit extra long. With the cast floor exhaust adapters removed, run the pipes so they go through the floor. You can then start cutting tha pipes until you get the right length. Once you are close enough, put the cast floor adapter back on, and put the pipes back in place, with the exhaust flange (which you save from the old pipes, or else salvage from somewhere) sitting loosely on the pipe at the manifold. Either mark it's location and weld it on the bench, or even better is to tack weld the flange in place.

There is flexible exhaust pipe available, but it does not have the proffesional appearance of a solid pipe.
Old 08-10-06, 16:48
David Pope

That EMT tubing doesn't last very long as exhaust pipe. It's also a different diameter so most muffler shops' benders will wrinkle bend it.
Old 08-10-06, 17:27
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Exhaust pipe question

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan Baker
Hi everyone

Im having a bit of trouble getting the exhuast pipes made up for my carrier. I need to go from the cast floor brackets to the muffler and then do the tight bend at the top.

What Im wondering is can I use electrical conduit piping for most of my needs? I believe it is called EMT conduit or somthing to that effect.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Jordan
EMT (Electrical Metallic Tubing) would be a cheap, easy fix for a new exhaust system. Benders up to 1 1/4" are easily rented at tool rental shops. If you're concerned about longevity, buy rigid pipe which comes in regular steel, stainless steel, or aluminum. I'd go with regular emt for ease of bending and hey, so what if it only lasts a few years, it's cheap to replace. Just remember when bending with a foot bender, use lots of foot pressure to get a smooth bend. For offsets, use a multiplier of 2X for 30 degree bends and 1.4X for 45 degree bends. If you're making 90's, the deduct is marked on all the benders, which depends upon which size pipe you're bending. P.M. me if you need any advice on bending pipe, I've been doing it for decades.

CHIMO!