MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 10-12-06, 16:37

Default How about someone who's already been there?

It would be great to see support from here like the Beccy Cole song, and I'd personally luv to see Sarah Mclaughlin, or Natalie MacMasters do it, but how about if considering approaching a singer for this type of thing, consider those who've already taken the initiative on their own?
I found some examples by googleing the question.
http://www.pmfrc.org/deployment/story10-29.htm
Just a thought.

Bruce
Old 10-12-06, 17:09
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Alex -- Terry Kelly is an amazing guy, but not nearly as cute as Natalie... 'Poster Boy' ain't gonna wash with the lads methinks...

Bruce -- Thanks for that link and your advice! Diane Chase is drop-dead gorgeous with obviously the Right Attitude regards our laddies... I'm gonna have to look her up on the net to see how good she really is (voice and persona I mean ).

Ladies and gentlemen, one way or another we're going to find one to represent our boys the way Beccy has with hers.
Old 10-12-06, 17:50
Vets Dottir

Default Re: How about someone who's already been there?

Quote:
Originally posted by bgoff
It would be great to see support from here like the Beccy Cole song, and I'd personally luv to see Sarah Mclaughlin, or Natalie MacMasters do it, but how about if considering approaching a singer for this type of thing, consider those who've already taken the initiative on their own?
I found some examples by googleing the question.
http://www.pmfrc.org/deployment/story10-29.htm
Just a thought.

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

Hey, thanks for finding this and posting it. I'd love to hear these peoples voices ..............

This brings me back to an idea I would also really like to see happen, is a huge project/undertaking of a CD/album/whatever of SUPPORT OUR TROOPS various songs done by various Canadian Artists. I would love to know there was a full CD specifically with all songs about Support Our Troops done by variaous Artists, which could include knowns and unknowns, whatever. Wouldn't that be "cool" A keeper THAT would be.

Meanwhile, back in search of someone who would be a great Poster Girl that our (you) soldiers would love to have ... Keep names and ideas coming people, one of the people mentioned may end up being an inspirations tune and an image tucked in some Soldiers helmet that they peak at now and then for a boost

Ma Yappy

Old 10-12-06, 18:02

Thumbs up

A bloody good idea, Ma, but it's conditional on (a), the performers actually go to Afghanistan and (b), they donate their royalties to the wounded and the children of the dead.

IMHO.

Let us start the ball rolling.
Old 10-12-06, 18:55
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
A bloody good idea, Ma, but it's conditional on (a), the performers actually go to Afghanistan and (b), they donate their royalties to the wounded and the children of the dead.

IMHO.

Let us start the ball rolling.
Let the brainstorming carry on ... ... for out of this will come something, and who knows if it will snowball into such a huge thing as a personal concert for our Troops and benefit concerts (or some such monies going to help Vets and their families) ... if CD's and posters sold, part of the royalties going to Vets and families or or or ... the beauty of brainstorming is letting the ideas fly no matter how off-the-wall they might be ... because you never know what inspirations and things are the outcome.

Too bad there wasn't a program contest televised for finding "OUR SUPPORT OUR CANADIAN TROOPS CANADIAN SONG and POSTER GIRL" ... see, Ma yappy's brain runs and runs and runs .........

Keep running with these ideas everyone ... please

We still need more NAMES of singers/performers. I know I would love to see a Music Video out of this.

K.
Old 10-12-06, 20:22
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Terry..

Quote:
Alex -- Terry Kelly is an amazing guy, but not nearly as cute as Natalie... 'Poster Boy' ain't gonna wash with the lads methinks...

Ladies and gentlemen, one way or another we're going to find one to represent our boys the way Beccy has with hers.
Jeez Jif ,you're right....But don't tell Terry he ain't cute and I'm heading back to Gracies to see iffin I can find a singing wench ....that is something like a 9/16ths wench....only bigger and better....
Old 11-12-06, 23:29

G'day All, Geez I'm dumb, I thought you were gawking at the 6 x 6 LRPV (Land Rover) anyway cheers Dennis
Old 13-12-06, 04:33
Vets Dottir

Hi people ... as you all are well aware by now, I'm sure : I really have been a little distracted and absorbed with other things that have surprizingly come up ... and have been VERY busy communicating with diffferent people about other things ..... BUT ...

Know that I'm NOT going to let this thread subject idea go, or allow it to slide into oblivion. I want us to continue to play with this idea and KEEP playing with it until we come up with a definate someone to approach for:

1) A Support Our Troops song, music video better, sung by a woman who becomes our very own Canadian ... poster girl who actually does care from the heart, is genuine, about our Canadian Troops.

2) A CD (whatever) of CANADIAN various artists doing songs that express Support our Canadian Troops. And I'll bet Terry Kelly would be delighted to be one of the artists and performing his Pittance Of Time on it

Even better is if whoever produces this stuff, some of the monies generated by sales (CD's/Videos/Performances etc should be tossed towards a potty that goes towards helping and assisting our Vets and/or their families somehow ... especially our soldiers who have lost their lives and left behind partner and children, or lost ... entertainment for our troops, etc etc etc ...

I think these are great ideas.
Geoff things these are great ideas.
Many of you think these are great ideas.

Well ... lets play with ideas still until we come up with someone specific we could approach with the idea ... for the Poster Girl as well as for a varied artists CD idea. And then find out how to promote these two ideas to the different folks who can actually know how to make these things happen if they get motivated.

We can only promote the ideas to those who can make it happen and hope to see them run with one or both. people in the industries are the ones who know how to accomplish this stuff.

Anyways ... just wanted to let you all know I won't let this thread fizz out

Karmen
Old 13-12-06, 05:21

Default Re: Terry..

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Jeez Jif ,you're right....But don't tell Terry he ain't cute and I'm heading back to Gracies to see iffin I can find a singing wench ....that is something like a 9/16ths wench....only bigger and better....
Figger it out yet, my lad?

I did just rewatch Terry's video and it did reduce me to tears (yet again, yes I'm a suck). I DO want him in on our CD. We need our Poster Girl identified, though.
Old 13-12-06, 06:16
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Terry..

Quote:
Figger it out yet, my lad?

I did just rewatch Terry's video and it did reduce me to tears (yet again, yes I'm a suck). I DO want him in on our CD. We need our Poster Girl identified, though.
I think I'll jump in here and test what wavelengths we're all on regards these ideas.

These are the wavelengths I'm on and capable of doing and stop short of being able to do more:

I know that what I'm hoping will come of these ideas is that if I/we all, can approach a likely candidate/candidates performers, AND maybe approach those with the powers and means or access to resources to be able to make it happen technically and businesswise, then inpire them all to work together to make it happen, I'll have done my part.

I guess I'm thinking as a sort of "matchmaker" bringing two elements together and inspiring them to make something of it because so many of us would love to see it happen and would buy the end products and support our Troops in that way by supporting those who publically acknowledge and recognize and uplift our Troops spirits through music

MANY Canadians across the whole country, would love and support this I think ... Our Troops desperately need the public shows of recoignition, caring and support, and even some of the proceeds, from their Canada ...

I know nothing of the music business, music, artists, what it takes, and certainly have no resources to be part of the process of making it happen, other than trying to vocally promote and instill the idea, in hopes of being able to inspire and fire up motivation in those who can, to run with it.

... what wavelength are YOU on about this???
Old 13-12-06, 14:46

Default Some of my favourite soldiers are/were girls

I recall a few years back when I shared duties with female members in my troop, (all training), sometimes they carried all the heavy kit, sometimes discuss work over a beer(s) I remember times with them the best.
I still like Sarah Mclaughlin. or Diane Chase, for a poster girl, but always keep in mind the girl soldiers, the Med-A's are your mommie over there when you have an owwie, and their smile might keep a home-boy sane.
I'd personally like to keep those women in mind, and a poster-male might not be out of the question.
(I will now return to my cold-war shelter in preparation for the Molson can storm from the male contingent )
Once again just my thoughts

Bruce G
Old 13-12-06, 17:12

Default Re: Some of my favourite soldiers are/were girls

Quote:
Originally posted by bgoff I still like Sarah Mclaughlin. or Diane Chase, for a poster girl, but always keep in mind the girl soldiers, the Med-A's are your mommie over there when you have an owwie, and their smile might keep a home-boy sane.
Bruce, you made me laugh with this, thank you... one way or another we WILL make this happen!
Old 13-12-06, 19:06
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Some of my favourite soldiers are/were girls

Quote:
Originally posted by bgoff
I recall a few years back when I shared duties with female members in my troop, (all training), sometimes they carried all the heavy kit, sometimes discuss work over a beer(s) I remember times with them the best.
I still like Sarah Mclaughlin. or Diane Chase, for a poster girl, but always keep in mind the girl soldiers, the Med-A's are your mommie over there when you have an owwie, and their smile might keep a home-boy sane.
I'd personally like to keep those women in mind, and a poster-male might not be out of the question.
(I will now return to my cold-war shelter in preparation for the Molson can storm from the male contingent )
Once again just my thoughts

Bruce G
I'd like to see BOTH a man and a woman!!! I'm really glad you said so too, because I have been thinking about the women a lot when thinking about "poster Girl" and wondering "what about them?" ... after all, as a woman, I would, wouldn't I? The majority of people serving are guys which is why if only one poster person can be done ... but WHY NOT TWO to represent both men AND women. Thanks for mewntioning this here Bruce. I wish there was an APPLAUD smilie ... but I your thoughts and ideas!

I'm sure a LOT of people in here have wondered about "What about the women too?!"

Karmen.
Old 13-01-07, 17:22

BTT... can't get enough of this lady.
Old 14-01-07, 09:45

Default .

I always thought Alannah Myles was a great representative for a singing Canuck.......................................
Old 16-01-07, 00:03

Default Some thoughts...

Well, in reading this thread, if I can offer my two cents on a few things...

Firstly, although I will agree that Sarah McLaughlan has an absolutely gorgeous voice, I plead anyone to NOT get her involved. I find her songs are all depressing and look at the sadness in life... take a listen to any of the songs from her recent Christmas CD....talk about a depressing Christmas. Perhaps if someone can introduce here to a MAJOR key, or explain that not everything needs to be in a minor key to be meaningful....

Also, I would NOT include Celine, not just because I can't stand her catterwalling and her singing, but because she is NOT a good Canadian symbol, and supports French Sepratism....not who I'd want standing up for our troops, much less our country. Besides, I don't think she could pull herself away from her Las Vegas shows to record anything for a CD...much less do it for FREE

Also, I realize that Alanis Morrisette might not be everyone's idea on who would make a great poster-girl for the proposed idea, but quite frankly, you need to think about who you are trying to sell the idea to, and who might like it. Yes, I agree, she might not appeal to everyone, but what would appeal to our troops? Also, remember that her recordings were her sound at THAT time... I don't know how much of Alanis' website documents her early bubble-gum pop career, but she had that sound too.

I'm not trying to put a vote in for Alanis (I find her to be a little to angry in her music, however catchy it might be), but I just would hate to have a good cantidate not included because someone did'nt like her sound (and of course, my first two suggestions are for people NOT to include....hehe)

Some thoughts for artists that can be asked...

The Tragically Hip
Great Big Sea
Guess Who
Avril Lavigne
Barenaked Ladies

...and many others I'm sure...

Tim
Old 02-02-07, 22:20

Default BTT

... in honour of the occasion....
Old 03-02-07, 16:25

Default rock types

how about "nickelback" if you are more of a rocktype
I think they make great music.
Old 29-07-07, 18:28

Just wanted to bring this back to the top... it's sunk into obscurity over the months.

Have to find some more, similar, clips suitable to and for our lads...
Old 20-01-08, 01:26

Default Re: musicians

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Timoshyk
ooops forgot the link

http://www.nataliemacmaster.com/recordings/imh.htm
Sweet Natalie & friends is on Bravo right now with a 1 1/2 hour special ... more of them than her mind you, but it's great Downeaster music!