MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 29-09-15, 16:02

Default 1941 Paint Formula - Dark Tarmac No 4.

1941 ICI Paints formula and mixing instructions for:

Dark Tarmac No 4, Textured, Matt Finish, CS 1401

This is available in full for download from the National Archives of Australia ref:

NAA: MP508/1, 305/733/146
Barcode: 3367578
Pages: 24
Desc: Camouflage Finishes (With Sample)

If you cannot find it, and want it - I have a copy and will email it to you as PDF.

Hope this is of interest to anyone looking to paint their vehicle accurately in this colour.

Tim
Old 29-09-15, 17:08

Thanks, Tim, nice find: I wonder if this is one of the files Gina W has been paying to have copied, so that they will appear on Recordsearch as a downloadable pdf - an expensive process and we should all be very grateful to her for her efforts in making these available (I know I am!)

Interesting title, sounds more like an RAAF/aircraft colour - 'tarmac' being usually associated with an airfield - but it is an Army-generated file, and seems to refer to the British colours KG3 and Dark Tarmac No.4 as the combination used on military vehicles. I think this is referring to the 'mickey mouse' combination of black/green disruptive as used on British Army vehicles. As far as I'm aware, this was not a combination or pattern used on Aust military vehicles.

Gina will no doubt be interested in such comments as the 1941 letter stating that the formula for KG3 was 'long standing' at that time, further re-inforcing that KG3 pre-dated Aust KGJ by a considerable period.

Thoughts, please?

Mike
Old 03-12-15, 10:25
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Colour

Has anyone worked out the actual colour of Dark Tarmac #4 ?

In that file mentioned, the colour chip is devoid of colour , its just a poorly defined grainy page of black or dark grey .

Has Mike S worked it out ?

PS just found this from this source http://www.ammsbrisbane.com/ajax/art...int_mixes.html

Dark Tarmac No.4 Tamiya
This replaced Dark Green G4 in the spring or summer of 1941. Applied initially as stripes, as per MTP 20, then later in the MTP46/4A style. In turn it was replaced by SCC1A and then SCC14 black. This is provisional since I use Revell 78 and this mix is very close. Based on Steve Guthrie’s description of a sample in the Canadian archives he has examined and compared with some test samples that I sent to him and a colour photograph and some film footage seen on ML last year.
Mix: 1prt XF24 + 1prt XF69.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 03-12-15 at 10:33.