MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 25-04-10, 06:54
Film maker, CMP addict

Default C15A hits pedestrians in Melbourne ANZAC Day march

This pic from the Melbourne Herald Sun... this happened a couple of hours ago so not a lot of news yet but it seems the throttle somehow jammed and the truck ran into the back of marching veterans. This was the lead vehicle in the 2009 Corowa parade. A terrible thing to have happened.

Quote:
Two members of the Ceylon Ex-service Association taking part in Melbourne’s Anzac Day parade are in a critical condition after being hit by their own truck.

The accident happened opposite the Arts Centre on St Kilda Road, on the Anzac parade route, at about 12.30pm this afternoon.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 25-04-10, 07:47
Pops

Keith this accident was mentioned on the news a while ago. Hope everyone is OK.
Old 25-04-10, 08:13
Film maker, CMP addict

Default From the ABC news site

Quote:
An old military truck has ploughed into a group of marchers at Melbourne's Anzac Day parade after a suspected mechanical fault.

Seven Sri Lankan ex-servicemen aged in their 70s and 80s have been injured in the crash.

The crash happened around 12:30pm along the route the parade through the city.

Witnesses say a World War II era truck taking part in the parade surged forward suddenly.

The truck crashed into a group of veterans that were marching in front.

The injured men are part of the Ceylon ex-serviceman's association.

Four suffered serious abdominal, pelvic, and leg, injuries, and have been taken to hospital.

Three men have also been taken to hospital with cuts and abrasions.

Witness say the scene was horrific, with four or five people dragged underneath underneath the vehicle.

Police are interviewing dozens of people who witnessed the crash.
Source

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 25-04-10, 08:30
V.M.V.C Member

Default Headlines!

I have been following this story since it happened and its amazes me the way the media report this type of event. One headline I saw on the web was
" Truck takes off like a jet" and the other report that the driver was 90 years old!.
4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi
Wiles Cooker 2 wheeled (jnr)
Old 25-04-10, 09:14
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Mis-reporting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euan McDonald View Post
I have been following this story since it happened and its amazes me the way the media report this type of event. One headline I saw on the web was
" Truck takes off like a jet" and the other report that the driver was 90 years old!.
Yes, sad to see how stupidly the media reports things without checking. It led the 10 news bulletin tonight but reported the driver to be 64 which I think may be nearer the mark.

Naturally our thoughts and prayers are with the injured and also the driver whom many of us know.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 25-04-10, 10:12
Rick Cove

Our thoughts are with both the Veterans who were unfortunately involved and also the driver. Let us all hope that everyone recovers well.

The police enquiries will eventually discover the reasons behind this most unfortunate accident. I hope the Media do not sensationalize it too much.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 25-04-10, 10:31
Tony Cochrane

Terrible thing to occur on anyday, but in particular today.
Old 25-04-10, 11:08
Armour Owner x 3

Default Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Yes, sad to see how stupidly the media reports things without checking. It led the 10 news bulletin tonight but reported the driver to be 64 which I think may be nearer the mark.

Naturally our thoughts and prayers are with the injured and also the driver whom many of us know.
Channel 7 (Rural - not national) said he was 54. It gave a clear shot of
the driver but I didn't recognise him.

Unfortunate accident.

I bowed out of doing parades where people and vehicles are mixed quite a few years ago, far too stressful. Worst I have ever seen is the Bayeux D-Day parade in France - people run out in front of the vehicles and lie down to take pics......
Passengers in vehicles throw lollies, which means small children rush in to
pick them up. This is with tracked, 6x6, Ducks etc.
Not my scene.

Doug
Old 25-04-10, 15:23

I took my ex army Land Rover in the parade a couple of years back. I was praying all the way hoping it wouldn't have any mechanical problems. It didn't thank goodness.

Whats the bet that next years march will be without 'old' military vehicles due to safety and insurance pressures.
Old 26-04-10, 00:01
Pops

We are asked by our local RSL to take part in the march each year. This year we had 12 vehicles in the parade and there were no incidents. The vehicles always lead the march so if there is a mishap or breakdown at least the marchers are safe, and we pull off to the side of the road so the march continues safely, the local police look after us well. On lookers are kept clear of the roadway.

We had a 90 year old veteran in our carrier who drove these machines during the war.

Max
Old 26-04-10, 01:19

Albury March
We had a dozen or so Jeeps all loaded with diggers unable to march, but not wanting to miss out on their big day. All vehicles followed on after the 4 horses which lead the parade. so no marches in danger of being run over. Embarrassingly we had a jeep starter motor jam at the start, pushed out of the way, passegers squeezed in to another vehicle in quick time.
Kitty Hawk impressed with the victory roll overhead

Wodonga March
the vehicles were scattered through the Parade, this may have been because of too many organisers, WE do not have a say in this.

I hope the media understands that the vehicles invovled in the parade do so only as a means of helping Diggers participate in the March, it is OUR way of saying thank you. It is not a show & Shine for the vehicles owners benefit, in fact we had some jeeps pull out of the Wodonga parade last year because the seats wereempty.

My thoughts are with both the injured marchers and the driver.

On a brighter note at the Dawn Service.
As the bugle played Last Post, the kookabuura's started their own early morning song, it was a terrfifc moment.

Rich.
Old 26-04-10, 02:11
Rick Cove

This is good news about the Ceylonise diggers. From Australian Associated Press. today.

Quote:
Ceylon soldiers to march next Anzac DayAAP
April 26, 2010, 7:27 am

The Ceylon ex-Servicemen's Association of Australia will march again next Anzac Day, undeterred by a horrific accident that left six members injured after a truck ploughed into them at Sunday's parade, the group's president says.

Two Sri Lankan war veterans were seriously injured when a vintage military truck driven by a 64-year-old lurched out of control and struck them from behind, opposite the Arts Centre on St Kilda Road about 12.30pm (AEST) on Sunday.

The two men who were originally listed as critical are now in a stable condition.

Four other servicemen who were hit were also taken to hospital, along with the truck's shaken driver and a man on the back of the truck.

The men were all aged in their 70s, 80s and 90s.

Arden Perkins, the president of the Ceylon Ex-Servicemen's Association of Australia, said he was relieved the incident had not been worse.

He said those caught up in the incident were thankful for the people who came to the injured soldiers' aid.

"There's no blame to anybody and we'll all march again next year," Mr Perkins told AAP.

He said two injured members, Kenny Fernando and Ken Pietersz, had been released from hospital.

But Lionel Daniels, Anton Ludowyke, Maurice Gibson and Reg Oorloof remain in hospital, he said.

Mr Ludowyke had a chipped hip and Mr Gibson suffered injuries to his stomach. Both are recovering in the Royal Melbourne Hospital, he said.

Mr Oorloof, a former navy diver, suffered crushed ribs and head injuries from falling under the truck.

He remains in The Alfred hospital, Mr Perkins said.

"He'll survive, he's a navy diver, he's a very fit man," Mr Perkins said.

He said the Ceylon Ex-Servicemen's Association had been marching in the Anzac Day parade for 33 years.

Soldiers from Ceylon, now known as Sri Lanka, fought with the Anzacs at Gallipoli.

"There's a lot of history there so that's why we take Anzac Day so seriously," Mr Perkins said.
Regards Rick
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 26-04-10, 04:05
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hedges View Post
Keith this accident was mentioned on the news a while ago. Hope everyone is OK.
This item hit the 1830 hrs EST news here in Canada.

Should it have happened here in Canada, the prevailing policy wonks (wanks) would have immediately called for a total ban on possession of such murderous machines.

I'm only halfway joking.
Old 26-04-10, 05:06
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Canadian news

Bet they didn't pick it as a Canadian Military Pattern truck though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
This item hit the 1830 hrs EST news here in Canada.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 26-04-10, 07:23
Alex McDougall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hedges View Post
The vehicles always lead the march so if there is a mishap or breakdown at least the marchers are safe, and we pull off to the side of the road so the march continues safely, the local police look after us well. On lookers are kept clear of the roadway.
Max
Just heard about it in this thread. Terrible news. I hope everyone pulls through. Nice to read that they won't be giving up marching

Max's description of procedure above sounds wise.

I presume most if not all CMP's are the same in that my F15 has the brake as the right pedal... Since this orientation of pedals is unique compared with probably all other vehicles anyone regularly drives today, I presume it could be problematic in a situation requiring a rapid reaction.

Regards

Alex
Old 26-04-10, 12:25

Default Anzac

we had three vehicles in the march for the 4 small towns up our way, I understand the problems with crowds, as at Canowindra Balloon Festival some years back a horse bolted and a woman was killed. ( fireworks involved). Only hope this settles down quietly as devastating as it is.
Corowa next year will be the test.
Old 26-04-10, 22:10

Default pedals

Thats how an accident happened with my truck, gas got hit not the break the first time out with an inexperianced (on CMP's ) driver. Fortunatly in my case it was just a lot of damage to another MV.
Scratch on my bumper. It's second nature to me with my CMP by now as it is the only standard I'm usually in not to mention the only right hand drive.
Old 27-04-10, 04:39
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default sad

The newsreader on the ABC Melbourne evening news Monday ...called the truck a 1942 BLITZ . It could have been a lot worse ...and we all should be thankfull. The media are all over the place as usual ..incorrect facts .

They wanted my C8 in ANZAC day and the club organiser was almost cohersive . I told him I freak out ..too many people and crowds ..I become very nervous and may do a silly thing . I did it from 79 to 83 ..had enough .

MIKE
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 27-04-10, 09:13
Armour Owner x 3

Quote:
They wanted my C8 in ANZAC day and the club organiser was almost cohersive . I told him I freak out ..too many people and crowds ..I become very nervous and may do a silly thing . I did it from 79 to 83 ..had enough .
MIKE
Mike

Speaking of coercion, I have had the same issue, twice in fact. They regard me as a right b*stard for saying no - so be it!
If they are that keen to have a tank/armoured car/truck/jeep then they can get off their b*ms and restore one themselves.

As you say, the coercion gets quite intense and speaking from personal experience can be from some surprisingly influential people at times.

What turned me off anything to do with the public and moving vehicles was promises of crowd control that were all hot air.
It appeared to be a case of saying what ever it took to get me to agree to providing my vehicles and then forgetting the promises.

Just to clarify things, the last event I agreed to go in was NOT an Anzac Day parade, it is an experience I will not be repeating.

Interestingly is the Corowa "parade", which I think is a misnomer, I would suggest a correct description of it would be a "run", "rally" or "convoy". The
fact that it is purely vehicles (and Alan on his push bike) APPEARS to mean that the vehicles are travelling at a reasonable speed and the public stays
on the foot path, there is no mixing of vehicles and people on foot. Effectively, from what I can gather, it is all about the public's perception:
they don't think of the road as somewhere they can be.

If I am wrong, tell me.

Regards
Doug
Old 28-04-10, 03:09
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Greville View Post
Speaking of coercion, I have had the same issue, twice in fact. They regard me as a right b*stard for saying no - so be it!
If they are that keen to have a tank/armoured car/truck/jeep then they can get off their b*ms and restore one themselves.

As you say, the coercion gets quite intense and speaking from personal experience can be from some surprisingly influential people at times.
Doug

Believe it or not, but many people in the crowd on anzac day, think the restored vehicles belong to the army , and some of the crowd actaully believes the vehicles are current army and therefore are open to the public to scrutinize etc.. after all, the crowd believe it's our money that paid for them .

I took the command car in one year ... it was on dodgy plates ( no pun intended ) and in those days I looked like a hippy . The cops let me go but the looks from the boys in blue were intense and nasty . Never again I thought .

here's an update on the accident http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 28-04-10 at 03:53.
Old 28-04-10, 04:33
V.M.V.C Member

Default more updates

more updates.
http://abc.gov.au/news/stories/2010/....htm?site=news
4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi
Wiles Cooker 2 wheeled (jnr)
Old 30-04-10, 13:28

Ajj...Terrible news.

About a year ago there was a similar accident here in Holland:

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...light=accident

Alex
Old 01-05-10, 02:29

Default HMV Accident

Alex.
The date on that accident report is 2007 so all resulting findings should be known. Did injured recover ok? How did the collision occur? Was any action taken against people involved?
I,m sure everyone would like to know the outcome.
David
Old 06-05-10, 04:51

A photo has been released that was supposedly taken by an onlooker immediately before the Blitz surged forward into the marchers on ANZAC Day. In the photo the driver of the truck can be seen holding a camera up with both hands. This has caused a bit of a flurry here in the media but proves nothing as it is a still picture and the vehicle may have been stationary at the time. Police are still investigating the incident. Driver is assisting with their inquiries.
One of the injured remains in hospital and two are in rehabilitation.
David

Last edited by motto; 06-05-10 at 08:00. Reason: Update
Old 11-07-11, 18:28

This was on tonight's news as the case has finally been through the courts.

Driver fined $4500 and disqualified from driving for 18 mths. Avoided jail by his extreme contrition and support given by members of the Ceylon ex-Servicemen's Assoc, with whom he still stays in contact. All those injured have recovered with no long term injuries.
Old 14-07-11, 11:09
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Yes

I spotted it as well on TV . Feel sorry for the chap involved as he is a very nice guy and it could have been so much worse.

Around any machinery we all have to be extra carefull. Some of us have had close calls while restoring vehicles and even at work . I've had cutting discs fly apart ( the ones you buy at the warehouse ).

Many years ago, I pulled into a petrol station in my restored WW2 Jeep, filled up , went inside to pay . As I walked out, my Jeep was rolling across the court towards a busy road. I ran after it , jumped in and saved the day . 10 seconds later and it would have been disaster time.

I had a c15 wireless van . Trying to move it , we pointed its nose downhill and it took off .. Off it went into a creek, at high speed ! The front springs sheared off , a clean break.

Be carefull .
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 14-07-11, 11:21
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Good subject for a thread...

Hi Mike

I'll quote your experience in a new thread about disasters, or near disasters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
I spotted it as well on TV . Feel sorry for the chap involved as he is a very nice guy and it could have been so much worse.

Around any machinery we all have to be extra carefull. Some of us have had close calls while restoring vehicles and even at work . I've had cutting discs fly apart ( the ones you buy at the warehouse ).

Many years ago, I pulled into a petrol station in my restored WW2 Jeep, filled up , went inside to pay . As I walked out, my Jeep was rolling across the court towards a busy road. I ran after it , jumped in and saved the day . 10 seconds later and it would have been disaster time.

I had a c15 wireless van . Trying to move it , we pointed its nose downhill and it took off .. Off it went into a creek, at high speed ! The front springs sheared off , a clean break.

Be carefull .

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 14-07-11, 11:51
RIP

Default Feeling Sorry

Hi all - I have no sympathy for this guy. There are too many people that regard these trucks as toys. Both in the military and in civvy street there is a lot of training that goes into driving a truck. With his attitude this guy should never have been in charge of a truck. It gives a bad name for all those that do the right thing.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 14-07-11, 12:52
Bluebell

Default Bob

You have obviously heard something that is not posted here about this guy.
What is wrong with his attitude? please explain.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 14-07-11, 14:56
RIP

Default Attidude

Lynn - he may be the nicest guy in the world, have a beautiful attitude and be a million percent contrite. However his attidude towards driving a truck, standing up and taking a photograph in a procession was totally irresponsible. I have taken part in many processions but even with marshalls guiding you there is always the constant danger of vehicles versus pedestrians. I am glad he didn't go to jail and he has the support of so many people. However the bottom line is that accidents do not happen, they are caused. Us drivers must be proven to be responsible but this sort of incident does not help our reputation or driving skills. There really isn't anything else I can say on the matter other than let's remember it and see it doesn't happen again.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com