MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 20-02-08, 04:13
Jerry MacLeod

Default Wanted -M38A1 Tub

Looking for a tub to replace what is left of the one on my 1968 M38A1 - CDN2. I was told all M38A1 tubs are the same regardless of the year but could someone verify that for me? I can get a "Repli-tub" out of Toledo ($3000 US). I would rather not spend that much just for a tub. It would be better spent on the other thousand things I need to restore this vehicle. Not in a real hurry as I will start the restore when I find enough parts. Until then it is tucked away in the corner of my garage and out of the elements. Wish the previous owner didn't leave it in a field uncovered for years.
Thanks
Jerry
Old 20-02-08, 05:28
carrier mech

There are still a couple decent tubs out in Westbourne surplus yard here in Manitoba. But one mans idea of decent may be another man's equivelent of scrap so you would have to look at them yourself.

All A1 tubs are not exactly the same, but close enough. The battery box lid had a different closure on the earliest tubs (50s) and even between the 67 and the 70 tubs there are some differences like seat belt points and some minor differences at the taillight mounting points. 1970/71 also had the closed hood hinges so the hood wouldn't fly off your head if you forgot to latch the hood whilst driving, but the mounting points for the hinges were the same, so you could change the hinges across. There are some other minor differences on the dash, but in a pinch, any M38A1 tub would interchange.

One has to watch those repli tubs. Apparently they all pretty much come from MD Juam of the Philipines, and no two are exactly alike. Seems like there are some serious issues regarding frame to body mounting points, fender mounting points, cowl geometry, etc.
Old 20-02-08, 06:52
Rod Shaver

Default M38A-1 tub

Jerry,
I have a very nice M38A-1 jeep for sale down here in Arizona. The body is in excellent condition. Includes all seats, wheels, correct motor. Most body parts are intact. I can send you pictures if you are interested. Just give me your e-mail address. Asking $2500 for the jeep. Rod Shaver
Old 21-02-08, 01:39

Default Tub

I have several jeeps to part out and this includes the tubs. You can view them at www.midwestmil.com
John
Old 24-02-08, 09:51
Jerry MacLeod

Default M38a1

Hi Rod
Would love to see some pictures of the M38A1 you have. Might be a better start for a restore. Can you also give me info as to the year, engine, t/c etc? My email is (gmac@golden.net). Found this web site while searching for M38A1 parts. Glad I did. Seems like there's a heck of a lot of knowledgeable people on here. Can see this as my main source for information on military Jeeps.
Thanks
Jerry
Old 24-02-08, 16:43
carrier mech

Jerry
You have been over to G503.com, haven't you? While Maple Leaf Up is the absolute best site in my opinion for WW2 Canadian rolling stock, the M38/M38A1 forum section on the G503 site is considered by many to be the best in the M38 knowledge.
Old 25-02-08, 07:01
Jerry MacLeod

Hey Rob
Thanks for reminding me about G503. I joined that group last fall and forgot all about it. Found it when I got the M38A1 but since I put it away in the garage as a future project, I totally forgot about that site. Damn, I must be getting old or something. First the hair falls out then something alse happens but darned if I can remember what. I was on that site looking for radio gear for the M38A1. It has the wiring to power radio equipment to the back so assume the Jeep was used for communications in it's day. Was on the site trying to figure out what radio gear was used back in '68 so I could install it after the restore. I am a Ham operator and some of the old radio gear crosses over into the amateur bands of today. Like the model 19 set but that predates my '68.
Excellent site
Jerry - VE3OVS
Old 25-02-08, 14:09
carrier mech

The only thing you will have to watch over at the G503 is that the information you receive can be a bit more American than what is applicable to your Jeep. By the 60s, the M38A1s were substandard in US service. Most of their M38A1s will be from the 50s.
All the Cdn2s came with the Bendix plug mounted on the right inner body next to the passenger. The most common radio found was the C-42, a British pattern radio heavy enough to ensure muscle buildup and the occasional hernia. In regular force service, and after about 1980 in reserve force service, the 524 radio was more the norm. During the C42 era, the antenna tuning unit (ATU) was mounted on a tall adapter over the spare tire carrier. This eventually caused the body to crack in this area, and, again around 1980, this style mount got replaced with one that went on the left rear corner of the Jeep.

There will be a new book coming out soon by Andrew Iarocci (thru service publications) that will be all about the M38/M38A1 in Canadian service. This will be a very good source about the history, and about variants, of these trucks in Canadian service. I had the pleasure of previewing the manuscript, and it has a wealth of knowledge in it that has not been assembled in one place before.
Old 28-02-08, 07:12
Jerry MacLeod

Hey Rob
When that book comes out and if you think of it, could you let me know when it's published and where I could find a copy? Would be very interested in reading it. Most of the stuff I read about M38A1's is mainly US which is OK but wouldn't mind some Canadian information. Do you know of any publications or military manuals that would be useful in the restoration of my 68 M38A1? I'm thinking of the proper decals and things like that. I can still see the "license" number under many coats of paint and a faded black Canadian flag on the RF fender. It's the little things that finish the restoration but I still have a long road to travel to get this beast to that point. Always looking for information.
Thanks
Jerry
Old 28-02-08, 07:51
carrier mech

http://www.servicepub.com/index.htm

The book is supposed to be published next month I believe.

The cam patterns were the same for all the Jeeps starting in the 70s. As for markings, these were dictated by the FMCo's which also included a copy of the cam pattern. The liscence number you found on the dash would have originally been stencilled on the sides of the jeep under the doors. This was discontinued once the vehicles were cammed up and liscence plates became the norm.

I could go on for some time about the various markings which should and could have been on your truck, but since this is the buy and sell forum, I'll leave it to another day and another thread.
Attached Images