MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 01-12-11, 12:55

Default Canadian Casualties 30-7-1943 Sicily

I am researching an incident in Sicily, it was a German fighter/bomber attack on a support section of the 5th. Northamptonshire Regiment whilst they were parked near Catenanouva, Sicily.
The next day a Canadian force was to support them and then take over the attack on this town which went in on the 31st.
It claimed the life of 6 Northant's and 2 R.E.M.E./ R.A.O.C. personel, the official histories only mention the Northant's casualties (one was my Uncle after whom I was named).
I have found a number of British casualties who could have been killed at the same time, I am awaiting a reply from the C.W.G.C. to clarify this.
On the same day there were a number of Canadian casualties on the 30th. but I have been unable to find if there was an action involving Canadian forces on that day.
As the records seem to be incomplete from the British side it is possible that there were Canadian casualties unaccounted for.
Below is a list of the Canadians killed on the same day, can anyone clarify if they were involved in the Catenanouva attack?
Pte. A W G Childs M/16033 Loyal Edmonton Reg.
Pte. R Richie M/103387 '' '' ''
Pte. G Gagnon E/5044 Royal 22 E Reg.
Pte. G Couture E/5768 '' '' ''
Sgt. R E Petitpas P/48861 '' '' ''
Gnr. W B Morley M/3130 Royal Canadian Artillery
Tpr. J F Marsh B/38200 3 Rivers Reg. 12th. Anti Tank Reg.
Tpr. D L McClure A/1033000 '' '' '' '' '' ''
Cpl. C Willoughby C/6228 '' '' '' '' '' ''
Tpr. N Wright B/62097 '' '' '' '' '' ''

We in the U.K. have no access to Canadian records and cannot progress any further without help from Canada
Thank you for reading this.
Ken Wootton, Peterborough, U.K.
Old 01-12-11, 16:04
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Canadian Casualties 30-7-1943 Sicily

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwootton2 View Post
As the records seem to be incomplete from the British side it is possible that there were Canadian casualties unaccounted for.
Below is a list of the Canadians killed on the same day, can anyone clarify if they were involved in the Catenanouva attack?
Pte. A W G Childs M/16033 Loyal Edmonton Reg.
Pte. R Richie M/103387 '' '' ''
Pte. G Gagnon E/5044 Royal 22 E Reg.
Pte. G Couture E/5768 '' '' ''
Sgt. R E Petitpas P/48861 '' '' ''
Gnr. W B Morley M/3130 Royal Canadian Artillery
Tpr. J F Marsh B/38200 3 Rivers Reg. 12th. Anti Tank Reg.
Tpr. D L McClure A/1033000 '' '' '' '' '' ''
Cpl. C Willoughby C/6228 '' '' '' '' '' ''
Tpr. N Wright B/62097 '' '' '' '' '' ''

We in the U.K. have no access to Canadian records and cannot progress any further without help from Canada
Thank you for reading this.
Ken Wootton, Peterborough, U.K.
Ken;

Copies of Canadian War Diaries are held in the UK by The National Archives (Kew); Richmond, Surrey.

The file references for the War Diaries of the Canadian units you are interested in, that are held by The National Archives (Kew), are:

WO 179/1892 - for the 12th Army Tank Regiment (Three Rivers Regiment (Tank)) - War Diary for Jan to Dec 1943 (re: Tpr. J F Marsh B/38200, Tpr. D L McClure A/1033000, Cpl. C Willoughby C/6228 and Tpr. N Wright B/62097)

WO 179/2001 - for the Royal 22e Regiment - War Diary for Jan to Dec 1943 (re: Pte. G Gagnon E/5044, Pte. G Couture E/5768 and Sgt. R E Petitpas P/48861)

WO 179/1976 - for The Loyal Edmonton Regiment - War Diary for Jan to Dec 1943 (re: Pte. A W G Childs M/16033 and Pte. R Richie M/103387)

In regards to Gunner W B Morley M/3130 Royal Canadian Artillery, without knowing which RCA regiment he served with, makes it hard to point you in the right direction.

Also, the following should be of use to you, they are down loadable PDF:

Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Vol II The Canadians in Italy, 1943-1945
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...Lang=1&BfId=25

Canadian Military Headquarters Report No. 132 - Title: Canadian Operations in Sicily, July – August 1943. Part III: The Story of 1 Cdn Army Tk Bde.
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...hq/cmhq132.pdf

Canadian Military Headquarters Report No. 135 - Title: Canadian Operations in Sicily, July – August 1943. Part II: The Execution of the Operation by 1 Cdn Inf Div. Section 2: The Pursuit of the Germans from VIZZINI to ADERNO 15 Jul – 6 Aug.
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...hq/cmhq135.PDF

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 04-12-11, 21:11

Default Casualties accounted for.

Thanks to Mark's posting and using the .PDF's he linked I have managed to add to our overall information on the air attack on the 5th. Northants 'B' echelon and can now confirm that there were no Canadian casualties occuring in the same incident.
The Loyal Edmonton's, the 3 Rivers and the R.C.A. were fighting to the north along the Leonforte to Agira road.
The Royal 22 E Regiment were following the Dittano valley along both sides of the River.
Thanks for your help.
Ken.