MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 10-05-15, 15:41
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Innes View Post
Thank you Charlie. To retain a little dignity you can drag the red line at the bottom of the video to 1.04 hr. & the scene with the pink Sherman starts very shortly.
Thank you VERY VERY VERY VERY much for that Jack.
Old 10-05-15, 15:57
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Likewise thanks...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 10-05-15, 19:41

OMG that was awesome! they should really be marketing this tank as a STAR vehicle! Fury who? Make room for the Pink Chiquita!!!

Last edited by jdmcm; 10-05-15 at 23:57.
Old 10-05-15, 22:15
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Innes View Post
Thank you Charlie. To retain a little dignity you can drag the red line at the bottom of the video to 1.04 hr. & the scene with the pink Sherman starts very shortly.
Oh no.... a pink Sherman!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pink Chiquita 1.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	73355

Never seen a one before, although it is not uncommon for tanks to be painted pink
Name:  4088101_63390b40b1.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  54.7 KB Name:  7976741906_1085d020fb.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  113.3 KB Name:  2046101022173105.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  79.2 KB Click image for larger version

Name:	10313211_10152424382885994_359417221020433496_n.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	73359

H.
Old 11-05-15, 14:20

Default Another tale...

I can also add a small historical tidbit .. I was working for one of our fellow club members driving MVs on a movie job in Beeton. War of the Worlds, I think it was called. During one evening shoot an invasion of soldiers on a variety of trucks followed a Sherman ( this sherman) into town to fight the nasty, slime covered aliens. Before the night scene ever began a certain notoriety had descended on the tank owner and operator as they had managed to flatten a town sign as they unloaded the Sherman from its flatdeck. You may recall that the late owner had significant vision difficulties! Later as the action scene ensued large numbers of extras and truck drivers, traveling behind the Sherman as it "rocketed" into town became aware of the noxious effect of diesel fumes as clouds of it filled our lungs and eyes as we took our assigned positions behind the advancing beast! I recall there was yet another finale as the tank was instructed to turn to the right at a cross street so the troops could advance past it - and I recall that as that turn was made at relatively high speed ( relatively) the right track struck the curb at the corner and a large chunk of curb maybe 6 feet long came flying up out of the ground fortunately hitting no one. Oh those were the days!!
Old 11-05-15, 17:59

Default take backs

I have only heard rumors of "recoveries" of stolen or traded equipment. The only one I had personal knowledge of was an M114 that showed up at base Calgary one day. We had it in our Recce lines for a while, some mechanics played with it but it just kinda hung around. The story provided was that it was illegally removed from a US range during a Militia training weekend by some reservists and did movie work and a cameo in "Short Circuit". I think we traded it to Jack Guthrie for something or other and as his collection was donated back to the Crown upon his death they must have it somewhere.

We had a German Stug on display in Calgary for many years. Its sister to the one in the war museum just minus the holes. It only had a couple of broken torsion bars but was otherwise complete. Supposedly it was on loan from Borden (although I heard it originally came from Shilo) and one day they wanted it back and off it went. Right to Fred Ropkey in the US as the Borden museum traded it for a half track or something. Next thing I know I get a call from a German dress-up-guy from the 21 SS Battalion or something looking for info on the history of "his" tank. Wonder what old Farley Mowat would think of a war trophy he brought home being used by posers for the "bad guys". Funny thing, the Stug was displayed beside the SALH halftrack that Farley used in WWII.
Old 11-05-15, 19:34
carrier mech

It was my understanding that the Stug was a Shilo artifact, on loan to Calgary and was sold to a US colelctor by Calgary. It has since travelled to the UK or Europe.

I believe Borden traded a Stuart for the quad 50 half track.

I could be wrong as I was just on the periphery during these trades. I talked with the curator at Borden back in the day just as they got the quad 50 in. I believe it was around 1981 or possibly 84/85 time period.

The museum I am associated with has got a lot better about trying to keep track of it's artifacts, and having the holders of loans verify the locations more often. Things like artillery pieces tend to get moved around (ie from a base to an armoury) on nothing more than a discussion and a drink at the mess by higher ups, sometimes with no regard as to where the piece came from in the first place. Next thing the armouries closes, or gets offered some other shiny trinket and off goes the artifact.
Old 11-05-15, 23:24

Was that the Stug that used to sit near the entrance road to Shilo, across from a Long Tom, many years back?

David
Old 12-05-15, 00:28
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Was that the Stug that used to sit near the entrance road to Shilo, across from a Long Tom, many years back?

David
Before my time. Apparently there was another german tank artifact (I think a second Stug) here that went back with the Bundeswher. Details are not known, but it is thought it may have been a trade for the more modern Kanonenjagdpanzer.
Old 12-05-15, 01:26
GM Fox I

The 'common knowledge' here in Ontario (and I ain't no lawyer) is that Easy 8 Shermans and 25 pounders distributed for monuments were never struck off strength. That is entirely different than surplus that went through Crown Assets. Canadian Ferrets were sold with the condition recipients would never apply to have them certified as street legal. The problem with that is there was no way of enforcing that upon a second owner.

I also know Don Smith was very concerned about DND perfecting a claim on CAROL despite him insisting he had clear title given the trades and work he did for the Borden museum.
Old 12-05-15, 02:29
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Watching this thread with interest, I would think that any prospective buyer would certainly want a legally binding document from the Canadian Government as to the dispostion of said artifact. Going by he said / she said and / we made a deal etc is simply not enough in anyone's books to see a deal on this as secure...
Thats why we have things like vehicle registration, mortgage/home titles/ land deeds etc in this country. Proof of ownership on anything lies upon the person/ group /club etc which possesses it at the moment.
Also, just because something has been in your possession for a number of years does not neccessarily make it yours.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 12-05-15, 04:29
carrier mech

I note the Sherman is no longer on the CS website.
Old 12-05-15, 13:11

Default Collectors Source

CS had two serious offers for the Tank.

Both out of country.

PS
Old 12-05-15, 15:46
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
It's true. I watched the film Charlie posted and the Sherman was striped in pink.

Unbelievable... almost incredible.

Some of the girls looked great in their youth.

Wonder what they look like today ? The Sherman sure looks great.
Notice the Sterling/Patchett that one of the turret chicks was holding?
Old 12-05-15, 16:43
Staghound

Click image for larger version

Name:	CANERA 170.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	73415
This would not be the Stug you gentlemen are talking about is it
I believe your story is close BUT ?
Old 12-05-15, 21:34

Would be a shame to see the M4A2 go stateside or overseas, but I'm guessing that's where it will be heading...
Old 12-05-15, 21:43
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Notice the Sterling/Patchett that one of the turret chicks was holding?
She was holding an SMG? My eyes couldn't seem to concentrate anywhere else in that shot.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 13-05-15, 05:35

Default stug

The stug was on display in Martin Park on Harvey Barracks when I arrived in '85. It left in the early 90's. I know it went to Borden as I cut it open and spent a couple of days freeing up the brakes so it could be dragged onto the trailer. The museum curator at that time had dug up the loan paperwork showing it originally came from Shilo. Any trade happened between Borden and Ropkey, a trade for a halftrack seems fairly one-sided in my opinion. Ropkey quickly sold it, it was the new owner I spoke with at the time.

There is no way the Government of Canada is going to provide some documentation to support the private ownership of a tank disposed of or lost decades ago for some prospective owner. Who would you call to get such a document? And if by chance someone actually provided a document of some sort there is no guarantee that it would carry any weight legally. Who actually has the authority to give you title to a tank?

The "common knowledge" is just more innuendo and rumor. If its not documented its not knowledge. You can go to the archives and see a list of Shermans listed as "SOS", I know not all tanks we had are listed. However, there is a note that tanks "given" as monuments must have their power packs and breech blocks removed and the breech clamp is to be welded to fix gun elevation. I cant quote "given" as I read a copy a dozen years ago.

I can say with certainty that we gave a complete Sherman to Jack Guthrie based on the legal opinion we received from our own chain of command. We also gave a Centurion to a school as a monument under the same guidance. We provided letters of support for ownership with the vehicles at the time.

Shermans from the BC logging industry had no documentation either and I know four complete tanks came from there, they were never modified as monuments. Three are in the US, one remains in Canada. Pretty hard to steal four tanks even in the 70's.
Old 14-05-15, 05:26

Default Legalities.....

I am more interested in if anyone knows or has heard what the sherman sold for and where it is destined for now? If it is going south of the border then the legalities will be sorted before it can be shipped. Hate to see it go out of the country but the one with the deepest pockets gets to have his toy
Old 14-05-15, 06:34

I think the real question nobody has asked when it comes to the controversy surrounding this Sherman is.....Was there ever a Pink Chiquita's 2?
Old 14-05-15, 17:25

Default pink chiquitas

I agree, it is most important to know if there is a sequel.

I miss the times when we could watch movies without worrying about political correctness .

Were we talking about Shermans at one time in this thread ?
94 LSVW
Old 14-05-15, 19:14
carrier mech

Robert: This is quite typical of a thread here on MLU. They will tend to wander.

For everything you wanted to know about this movie, go here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093741/

From there you can folllow the various actors (did you spot that one of them was Sylvester Stallones brother? ) and can visit their profiles to see which ones made a career out of acting and which ones must have went to the premier of the movie and for the good of humanity gave up that career path.

TO Terry (maple leaf up eh): it is a poor milsurp addict who allows jiggly stuff to distract the eye from militaria. I spotted the SMG and had to freeze frame it and enlarge it to try and determine if it was simply a sterling or a SMG c-1.
Old 15-05-15, 01:02

Thumbs down Spewing

Oh, i remember the C-1 or Sterling ! It spewed lead all over the neighbours target !
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 15-05-15 at 04:26. Reason: Flak