MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 16-01-07, 22:22

Default You want a whole case.....

Hi Sapper

The tires are made in Indiana, Pennsylvania and are shipped from the factory F.O.B. .... it would be a shame to move them to Texas to move them again up North.... not sure if WADE or the Factory would ship directly overseas .... they certainly are close to the New Jersey ports or East coast. Best bet maybe is to have the UK group make up one order, prepaid of course, and ship bulk, cost to be divided per tire..... this means someone in the UK has to step up to the plate and coordinate the efforts.... Wade/Factory might be more agreable to such a venture.

In response to the MLU member who wants to use them on a C15TA..... the tires are only 8 plys.... not sure what the max carrying load is per tire.......

Now let's see if they are going to be delays to the March release deadline......!!!!!

Bob
Canada
Old 31-01-07, 13:24

Wallace Wade have not responded to my e-mail concerning maximum weight loadings on these tyres, and they have also not responded to a different question on these tyres from a friend in the states.

I would wonder from their reluctance to engage with customers if these tyres actually exist or if they are still collecting orders.
Old 31-01-07, 15:30

Default Nothing since Jan 11th

.....strange, I never got a response for information and it was sent Jan 11th......

Are we too small to bother with..??? surely indicating a keen interest in the new tires would be important to respond to..??

Bob
Canada
Old 01-02-07, 02:33
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Ashley
Wallace Wade have not responded to my e-mail concerning maximum weight loadings on these tyres, and they have also not responded to a different question on these tyres from a friend in the states.

I would wonder from their reluctance to engage with customers if these tyres actually exist or if they are still collecting orders.
Y'want me to call him?
Old 01-02-07, 03:32
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Y'want me to call him?
Why dontcha, Derek? It's a public service and everybody knows there's nothing like 'personal contact'.
Old 01-02-07, 03:38

Default Not a bad idea....

...or if you had a chance to drop in........

I am sure that a number of MLU would be interested..... might even pay us to gang up for an Ontario bulk shipment.....

Go for it Sapper...

Bob
Canada
Old 02-02-07, 01:54
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Why dontcha, Derek? It's a public service and everybody knows there's nothing like 'personal contact'.

10/4 I'll call him tomorrow morning.
Old 02-02-07, 03:16

Quote:
10/4 I'll call him tomorrow morning.
ROGER AND ACK. CARRY ON.
Old 02-02-07, 12:05
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: You want a whole case.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere
Wallace Wade from Dallas Texas is advertising that the infamous ... elusive.... 10.50 x 16 8 ply Chevron tires will be available in March 2007..... $172 US FOB factory in Indiana Penn.
(which may be an advantage to us close to the US Border....)

In response to the MLU member who wants to use them on a C15TA..... the tires are only 8 plys.... not sure what the max carrying load is per tire.......

Bob
When Coker Tire were selling these a couple of years ago, I presume theirs were made by Specialty Tires. Coker listed theirs as Load range E (10 Ply) with a load capacity of 3030lbs @50psi. Coker's 10.50-16s were US$202 back in 1999!!
Old 02-02-07, 12:32

Default Re: Re: You want a whole case.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
When Coker Tire were selling these a couple of years ago, I presume theirs were made by Specialty Tires. Coker listed theirs as Load range E (10 Ply) with a load capacity of 3030lbs @50psi. Coker's 10.50-16s were US$202 back in 1999!!
I wrote Coker at the time and they said the tyres were out of production. I wrote them back asking how many orders they'd need to 'make it so', but AFAIR, they never replied to that one. If Wade can be contacted, we're in business...
Old 02-02-07, 17:37
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Not a bad idea....

Quote:
...or if you had a chance to drop in........

I am sure that a number of MLU would be interested..... might even pay us to gang up for an Ontario bulk shipment.....

Go for it Sapper...

Bob
Just got off the phone with Wallace. I called his store but he is away for the weekend, fortunately I have his private number. The factory hasn't made any of the tires yet but production will start in March. He is taking orders now for the 10.50 X 16 8 ply Chevron pattern for 172.80usd (F.O.B. factory). He told me his prices are subject to change depending on the world price of oil, as is stated on his website and his recent ad in the March 2007 issue of Supply Line. If you place an order now, that is the price you will pay. In a couple of months, you could pay more or you could pay less. The price for the 900 X 16 NDTs I bought last year have dropped $20.00ea. He had no details regarding their load range or load bearing capacity. I asked him if it would save money if the tires were shipped directly from the factory. He said it might and that he would look into it. I also told him that if it would save any M.L.U. members some money if I handled the shipping from Texas to Canada, he would allow it. I further asked him if there would be a volume discount if someone ordered several tires and he responded that he would be willing to look into it based upon quantity. What I'm thinking is that anyone who wants a set of these tires, contact Wallace Wade directly and work your best deal, shipping included, but don't place the order. Then let me make a deal for all y'all's tires and see if I can save you some money. I've done a favour for Wallace in the past by taking several tires to an event in South Texas and thereby saving him some money, so maybe he'll give me a better deal. You never know. I'll keep in touch with Wallace as we get closer to the tire production to see if I can get some pics and further info. Sapper 740 over.
Old 02-02-07, 18:35

Default Thank you Derek....

for invesigating this for us all. I know that I for one am going to have to do something about modern/reproduction tires for my C15 because I am not even close to comfortable trying to run on the historic ones that came with the truck. I will probably be trying a group buy with Bob and others in the same part of the world.
Old 02-02-07, 21:08

Default Positive feedback.....

Thanks for taking the time to get us up to date information.

It sounds like we have time to get ourselves organized and take advantage of the largest bulk order we can process.

Toronto maybe a better international central point for taking delivery and I for one would gladly volunteer to do a pick up for the Ottawa Rotters even if I have to use a trailer.

We will need to get information on the importation of tires and the applicable custom/taxes fees. Can Clive advise us on such matters????

Each of us can make personal arrangements for direct payment to Wade......as a business the use of credit cards greatly simplifies the transaction and gives you a good record.

NOTE....... Geoff..... would it be proper to start a new thread specifically for commitments to buy and up date on availability, delivery dates, etc......

I believe Grant has already indicated his intent..... and I for one is greatly interested in a full set of five......

I will volunteer to hold tires for gusy in the East coast BUT if I deliver I am not coming back with an empty trailer i.e CMP recovery....hihihi

I wonder if we could get even more cooperation from Wade if we put our money where our CMP mouth is and offer a deposit....approx. 10%.... even $100...... to show we are serious and also to keep our own commitments....

I don't think we would be gambling much with WADE he has a good reputation.... he** I have risked more on some EBay transactions.

Let's line up at the trough and be counted......

Bob C.
Canada
Old 02-02-07, 21:45

Thumbs up New Tyre Thread

Go ahead, Boobie, as you say, money talks louder than words. Using Toronto as a terminus is probably good, for ease of transshipping east or west as required.

Make it so, No.1!

PS: If I still had a truck, I'd move heaven and earth to get a set of those!

PPS: Thanks on behalf of all of us, Derek!
Old 02-02-07, 23:08
Mr. HUP

Default Conditional In

I'm in IF:

- Canadian/US/North American DOT Product Approval certified and proof delivered thereof.
- Full duties/GST costs identified.
- Bulk buy cost savings realized (group of five or more tires).
- Purchase takes place before May 07 (end of contract - makes these type of purchases hard to justify to the frau when one is unemployed...)

I applaud the initiative and the work done to date. Please pardon my careful approach, but experience has taught me to err on the side of caution...
Old 03-02-07, 01:18
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Swords and Ploughshares Museum

Sapper D:

The mausoleum is skint right now but I will personally purchase seven (7) if the deal works out as per Rob Clarke's observations (except I don't have the time limit he does... no wife )

Boobee: Once the stuff is on a truck in Texas the cost to Toronto or to any other place in central/eastern Ontario is about the same. I would carefully look at the option of shipping to a place like Ogdensburg and bringing them across at Prescott. Shipping within the USA is MUCH cheaper than crossing a border.

I did some checking into this sometime ago and if I remember correctly, you will pay GST and PST but if the tyres are going on an antique (bring registration/appraisal/photos/reference material) then there is no other duty.

One benefit of Ogdensburg is that we have a "friend in court" in the form of a fellow mil veh collector who also runs an antique car parts business (so he is familiar with dragging old and new parts across the border) AND is a Canada Customs officer at Prescott.

He will happily advise us on the rules (and make sure we follow them)

I will not be back until 7 April so I will not be able to speak to Wallace myself (the long distance fees from Ghana to Texas will outdo the cost of the tyres!) but have earmarked the money for the seven tyres. Derek are you willing to commit me for seven with Wallace. I'm prepared to PM my VISA split in two or three emails to foul spammers/hackers.

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 03-02-07, 01:39
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Swords and Ploughshares Museum

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner
Sapper D:

The mausoleum is skint right now but I will personally purchase seven (7) if the deal works out as per Rob Clarke's observations (except I don't have the time limit he does... no wife )

Boobee: Once the stuff is on a truck in Texas the cost to Toronto or to any other place in central/eastern Ontario is about the same. I would carefully look at the option of shipping to a place like Ogdensburg and bringing them across at Prescott. Shipping within the USA is MUCH cheaper than crossing a border.

I did some checking into this sometime ago and if I remember correctly, you will pay GST and PST but if the tyres are going on an antique (bring registration/appraisal/photos/reference material) then there is no other duty.

One benefit of Ogdensburg is that we have a "friend in court" in the form of a fellow mil veh collector who also runs an antique car parts business (so he is familiar with dragging old and new parts across the border) AND is a Canada Customs officer at Prescott.

He will happily advise us on the rules (and make sure we follow them)

I will not be back until 7 April so I will not be able to speak to Wallace myself (the long distance fees from Ghana to Texas will outdo the cost of the tyres!) but have earmarked the money for the seven tyres. Derek are you willing to commit me for seven with Wallace. I'm prepared to PM my VISA split in two or three emails to foul spammers/hackers.

Cheers! Mike
No problem Mike. I've got you down for 7 tyres, subject to D.O.T. acceptance etc. I'll make sure you're included in any deal that goes down. I'll let Wallace know of your situation and that your VISA number will arrive in 2 or 3 emails, oy Y'know, you could do a simple Caesar cypher and mail Wallace the key.
By the by, what are the heck you doing in Ghana? Derek.
Old 03-02-07, 04:16

Default Shipping may be easier....

According to Wade's advertising the price is $172 US F.O.B. factory which I beleive is Indiana Penn. Thsi could be a break for us as shipping would be more reasonable.

Gunner... I have meet the Custom officer you talk about..T. W. also has a cab 11 with out engine he wants to work on. He could be source of good up to date info....... will contact him has he as left me his home number.

There was some conversation some months (year) back when Wade raise the issue of repro..... thathe needed a certain minimum number before authorities in the USA would actually entertained testing for certification.... it is an assumption at this stage... but my assumption is that Wade would not wade in so deep(pun intended) into repro project unless he was assured of getting a chance at DOT approval..... if they do not get approved you can always buy them for farm trailers.....sic!!!!!!! and probably cheaper then.....

May have to consider getting one in to test the authoritative waters...!!!!!

Bob
Canada
Old 03-02-07, 05:07
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Gunner in Ghana

Hi Derek: Boobee don't go away, theres stuff in here for you too!

I'm in the Military Training Assistance Programme (MTAP) which is Canadian training for all our non NATO or SEATO countries/allies. It used to be primarily Commonwealth in Africa and the Caribbean but expanded in the 70's, 80's and 90's to include PfP, other eastern europeans, arabian peninsula, pacific rim, sub-continent, south and central america , etc, etc. There are 68 countries in the programme with three more banging on the door (no names, no pack drill).

I hold the Africa desk and am spending about 1/2 of each year over there running courses. I'm the CI for a team of 8 LCols and Majs who will be at the Kofi Anan International Peacekeeping Training Centre (built in part with Canadian funds) where we will train 75 officers (Capt to LCol) from 14 African countries in Canadian style peacekeeping. POs run from the Estimate (now called the Operational Planning Process), to Law of Armed Conflict to dealing with the media, to running a Sector or Mission Ops Centre. Last fall it was two months on a Kenyan army base and we are looking at Mali (not Maui ) Good fun, interesting work and I get home in Apr!

Like you said, I'll send the visa number by BLACKHORSE if you remember how it goes. The first digit will indicate the start point.

Boobee: thanks for being discreet for our Prescott friend's sake.

I'm willing to be the test rat if we want to do an initial order of two as I will need them right quick to go on the Quad Polsten when it arrives (ROT gods willing) in mid to late Apr.

If'n you and Rob can coord the pickup. Rob is a listed member of the museum executive and our friend has the museum codes already. I'll see him this weekend as I have to drop off the bill of sale for his M135 Cdn.

And don't forget to support the troops overseas ('cause I become one in two days! )

www.calnan.com/swords
Old 03-02-07, 05:32
Derek Heuring

Default On the subject of DOT acceptance:

Wallace Wade uses Specialty Tires of America to make his tires. They have three factories in the U.S., one of which is located in Indiana, PA., which, I believe, is the one he will use to make the 10.50X16s. The 900X16 NDTs I bought last year were from them and had all the Government Uniform Tire Quality Grading Standard information molded onto the sidewalls which is a federal safety requirement. I'm sure that with the advent of the FTA these tires will most likely be automatically accepted by the Canadian DOT. I imported a set of tires for my '42 GPW years ago from Brent Mullins Jeep Parts in College Station, Texas with no problem whatsoever, although I did have to pay duty as the 600X16s I bought would fit a Volkswagen Beetle. Specialty Tires of America's tires meet or exceed O.E.M. tires for treadwear, traction, and temperature requirements, so their web site states. They also state that they use a "ply rating" system which means that an 8 ply tire doesn't necessarily have 8 plys...just the ability to support the load and air pressure of an 8 ply tire. Something to consider when buying their tires, although I'm sure most of our vehicles won't suffer the same strenuous use that they did when in military hands. Hope this info helps, Derek.
Old 05-02-07, 09:51

If as I assume you divide the total vehicle weight evenly between the four tyres, the reduction in the number of plys may well make them unsuitable for my C15TA. Working on loaded weights it could even rule out something like a 30cwt.

When any one can confirm the weight limits on these new tyres I would be interested to know.
Old 05-02-07, 13:06
former Resident Historian

Default VTS

I was wondering whether VINTAGE TYRE SUPPLIES in Beaulieu, just down the road from me really, would be interested in acquiring a batch for the UK and the EU?

http://www.vintagetyres.com/
Old 06-02-07, 04:11
Derek Heuring

Quote:
If as I assume you divide the total vehicle weight evenly between the four tyres, the reduction in the number of plys may well make them unsuitable for my C15TA. Working on loaded weights it could even rule out something like a 30cwt.

When any one can confirm the weight limits on these new tyres I would be interested to know.

Neil, the load rating on my 9.00X16 NDTs per tire is 3030lbs at 50psi. I assume the 10.50X16s would be at least that much.
Old 06-02-07, 08:57

Derek

I was a little concerned because Tony stated 3030lbs on the previous production batch which were rated at 10 ply.

Common sense would seem to suggest if you are reducing the number of plys the weight carrying capacity is also reduced?
Old 07-02-07, 03:04
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Derek

Common sense would seem to suggest if you are reducing the number of plys the weight carrying capacity is also reduced?

Not so Neil. Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers found inside the tire, but indicate an equivalent strength based on early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy duty ratings,10-, 12- or 14-ply rated, actually have only two or three fabric body plies, or one steel ply.
Old 09-02-07, 03:54
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

It could be a typo in the catalogue by Coker. They list the 10.50-16 being a load range E and 3030lbs, while the 9.00-16 in a load range D is 3330lbs. Seems to me they could be the wrong way about?
Attached Thumbnails
coker cat.jpg  
Old 09-02-07, 04:03

Default Load ratings

The loads listed in the Coker catalogue might be correct. Note that the 10.50x16 load range E is rated at 50 PSI while the 9.00x16 load range D are rated at 60 PSI.
Old 02-03-07, 17:01

Default March as arrived.....

Bonjour Derek

The Rotters in Ottawa, with nothing else to do but watch the snow blow by, where wondering if you could contact Wallace Wade to get a status report on the elusive tires........

...is delivery on target and when.....???

Thanks for your help.

Bob C.
Canada
Old 04-03-07, 18:31
Derek Heuring

Default Re: March as arrived.....

Quote:
Bonjour Derek

The Rotters in Ottawa, with nothing else to do but watch the snow blow by, where wondering if you could contact Wallace Wade to get a status report on the elusive tires........

...is delivery on target and when.....???

Thanks for your help.

Bob C.
It's a slow time of year around here too...nothing to do but watch the Bradford Pear tree blossoms blow by. Actually mowed the lawn yesterday, first time this year. (I'm sorry...I know I'm gloating but I can't help it!)

Sorry....I'll call Wallace tomorrow and see where we're at with the tires. some possible bad news: the price of gasoline has been slowly rising here in the U.S. It's gone from $1.92/gal a few months ago to $2.23/gal two days ago when I filled up. I don't know if the increase in gas prices will be reflected in the price of the tires. You may not hear from me for a couple of days...I have been experiencing extended periods of no access to MLU recently, but I will post a reply as soon as I can. If anyone wants, they can get replies by email...just send me your email address. sapper740@grandecom.net
Old 04-03-07, 20:47
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: March as arrived.....

Quote:
the price of gasoline has been slowly rising here in the U.S. It's gone from $1.92/gal a few months ago to $2.23/gal two days ago when I filled up.
Now, don't whinge too much, ours is still $6.73 for a US gallon; or $8.08 for a UK one.

R.