MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 02-03-16, 16:59

Default What to see Vancouver Island / Vancouver

I am headed west by air, for a week of something they call vacation.

I will end up on Vancouver Island for most of the 1 week.

What have people enjoyed seeing, military or non military.

One of us is not a walker more of a car tour person, so no hiking trails need not be included.

Might be interested in a boat tour.

Factory tours, places of interest, museums all interest us to a degree.

Shoot way with ideas, also looking for accommodation alternative ideas.

Will be self sufficient with a mental rental car.

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 02-03-16, 17:50
carrier mech

Careful Robin.....that area of BC has a tendency to draw all the British in. Very few leave the area for some reason. I think it is the constant rain that makes them feel like they are at home, but that is only a guess. There is a mountain range that blocks it's view from where I am at.
Old 02-03-16, 17:59

If you have enough time in Vancouver, a drive out to the Point Grey Coastal Battery site might prove interesting. Two of the four emplacements are still there along with all the underground works.

And it that gets boring, you can walk to the cliff face and find a wooden stair case that leads down to the beach where the searchlight towers stand, in the middle of a popular nudist beach now.

David
Old 02-03-16, 18:54

Default Victoria / Vancouver Island

Robin, The Vancouver crew will chime in for that area. I'm not current in what is big over there, so will start with a few from this side of the pond.

Victoria:
Royal BC Museum
Fort Rodd Hill NHP
Ashton Armoury Museum
Canadian Scottish Museum at Bay Street Armoury
Buchart Gardens
Craigdarroch Castle
Hatley Park ( ex Royal Roads Military College, now RR University)
Drive up Mt Tolmie for a view of the city
Air museum at Pat Bay Airport (check for correct name)

Up Island in no particular order of location:
Comox Air Force Museum
Cathedral Grove Provincial Park (big trees right at highway)
Martin Mars water bomber at Sproat Lake, Port Alberni (Coulsons)
Francis Barkley freight boat day trip from Port Alberni to Bamfield return. -real west coast boating out the fiord like Alberni Inlet
Tofino / Ucuelet on the Pacific. Lots of things out there.

Tired yet? I'll add more as I remember. Most can be researched on line.

Have fun,

Jes
Old 02-03-16, 19:28

Default Timings?

Robin,

I neglected to ask when you were heading this way, as some venues may not be practical or are on limited hours. The members on here that are in Victoria may be able to offer better and more detailed current information for that city.

Vancouver Island is bigger than some visitors realize and driving up and down can eat up a lot of hours/days. Where my home is located is close to Comox and the average drive time is 3+ hours from Victoria. We are about 1/2 the way between the south end and the northern end of the island.

Jes
Old 02-03-16, 22:49

Dear All,

wonderful input, dont stop, love the non military additions like Buchart Garden.

It looks very much as if we will likely only spend one or two days on the mainland and the other 5 on the Island.

We are max flex people who make decisions on the spur of the moment and see something on a map or in passing and turn because of it.

We are realistic enough to know we can not see all of everything in one go, we just want to have an enjoyable time rain or shine.

As to the heretic who warns of wanting to relocate, wash your mouth out, I hate rain, I love snow, I love frozen ground and winter. Rain is not attractive.

My lady and I are tolerant of each other and what we both enjoy, it is what allows me to drag parts of Ferrets and Land Rovers through the house and not get grief for it!

2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Two Canam 250s
Old 03-03-16, 00:25

A couple more....

Depending on when, and your interest, you could do some of the southern Vancouver Island winery cidery stops, both near Victoria and the Cowichan Valley (Duncan) area. If you like the west coast First Nations stuff, there is a cultural centre in Duncan. I did mention the Royal BC Museum, located right next to the Empress Hotel and Legislature on the harbour. Its well worth the time and the harbour area is a pleasant area to stroll. Tourist accommodation is plentiful and that part of the city. If you like something different for accomodation, check out Abigail's, although I haven't been there for years it was a nice treat. Lots of quality B&Bs in Vicotria and up and down the Island. Consider a side trip to Saltspring Island, a short ferry ride from Sidney for a glimpse of one version of Gulf Islands lifestyle. Ganges has a market and other interesting stuff.
If you are heading up toward Nanaimo, and decide to stop for lunch, check out the Crow and Gate in Cedar, just south of Nanaimo or head down to the Nanaimo Harbour and take the foot passenger ferry over to the Dinghy Dock floating Pub and Restaurant.
That's it for now, will see what everyone else posts or warns to steer clear of...

Jes
Old 03-03-16, 02:34

Robin. Lived in Victoria about 27 years ago when I was in the RCN. Capital Iron was one of my favourite places to look for unique, unusual or surplus items in the basement/lower level. The store wasn't just about shopping but it was fun to just look and see what treasures they had. Not sure if they still carry those kinds of things but when I was there, I picked up a deactivated .50 cal machine gun and there were lots of other interesting things. Might be worth a visit. At the time, the Empress Hotel was well known for afternoon tea...very grand and very British. Command Post Militaria may be of interest. There used to be a marine land type attraction in Oak Bay (close by) but can't find anything current on the internet about it...most likely gone, just like the Pacific Undersea Aquarium and my beloved H.M.C.S. MacKenzie, DDE 261. The Inn at Laurel Point had an awesome Sunday buffet but that was back then, perhaps not now. A tour of the naval dockyard in Esquimalt or one of the H.M.C.Ships would be great but that's not possible by just walking up to the front gate and asking to get in however there may be a way (insider info). Victoria is full of sailors. If you're out having a pint in one of the local watering holes (Popeye's in my day), you'll likely have the opportunity to meet/chat with one of them and if you ask nicely, a tour might be possible. Sailor's are proud of the ships they serve and take pride in showing them off whenever they can. Victoria is a great place...enjoy your visit...look forward to hearing about it.
Cheers, Terry.
1943 GM HUA (Project)
1962 Daimler Ferret (Sold)
Old 03-03-16, 05:54

A bit more... You can check out most of this stuff On Line to get the details.

The Empress is under new ownership and renovations, but still hanging on by the teeth to the old style. Some of the old décor, like the Bengal Room, is toast, to become a yuppee bar or something. High Tea is still available.
If you do the triangle tour, Vancouver, Victoria, mid Vancouver Island, you can take the ferry to near Sidney, a 30 min drive from Victoria, explore the greater Victoria area, then travel north to Nanaimo and on to Parksville, Port Alberni and Tofino/ Ucluelet. On the return trip, you would take the ferry from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver and if time permitted, could head a bit north to check out Whistler and Squamish. Whistler can speak for itself and Squamish has a number of things that may interest you. They have a gondola with panoramic views over Howe Sound, and the BC Railway Museum is located there. A couple of brew pubs, lots of restaurants. What more could you want?

On Vancouver Island again, in Duncan, the BC Forest Discovery Centre is focused on west coast logging history and has steam and other trains, some running on the property. If you like machinery and its history, this is good. On the way north, before Duncan, is the Kinsol trestle, which has been restored and is billed as being the largest wooden structure in the Commonwealth at one time. It was used by the CNR while they still ran trains on the Island.
Going toward Port Alberni, a bit outside of Parksville is the small community of Coombs. This is the home of Coombs Country Market and 'Goats on the Roof'. An interesting stop even if you just walk around and window shop in the various small stores, or check out the market and have coffee or a bite to eat there. I think the goats have a web site.
On the way to Port Alberni, past Coombs, is the Cathedral Grove in MacMillan Provincial Park. This is a stand of very large, first growth Douglas Fir trees. Parking is right by the road, so not much walking. In Port Alberni, in season, they run a steam train from the downtown area out to McLean Mill, an old time sawmill and National Historic Site. The Francis Barkley sails from the pier downtown to service small communities along Alberni Inlet and the Broken Group Islands of Pacific Rim National Park Reserve. They deliver freight, drop kayakers and stop in at Bamfield before returning to Port Alberni. Its a true west coast experience and a favourite of tourists from all over the world. Check web site for details.

For those interested in local wineries, not to be compare to Niagara or the Okanagan, there are a number both around Victoria and in the Duncan area. My favourites to visit are Avril Creek and Zanatta is that's spelled correctly in the Cowichan Valley. There are lots of others and a tour guide is available, on line, I think.

That's it for now...

Last edited by Jes Andersen; 03-03-16 at 18:27.
Old 20-03-16, 17:17

Thanks for all the info.

We have concluded day one and driven around the local area, been up to Whistler and back and are now going over to the Island at lunchtime. Turns out by some bizarre coincidences I have a living cousin on the island I knew nothing about and another family connection in Vancouver that was not known of.

Beautiful place but I can assure you all that Howe Island, Ontario, will take a lot of beating, so BC is safe.

Meeting with Chris Preston on Tuesday in Victoria and seeing the Ferret and Museum that he is involved with.

This week will be over all too quickly

2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Two Canam 250s
Old 20-03-16, 18:49

Welcome to B.C. Once you finish your week, you'll have to give us the critique on what/where. I suspect that since you will only be seeing tiniest slice of the west coast, you will have to come back again and go further afield. Cities are a lot a like everywhere but places such as Haida Gwaii (formerly Queen Charlotte Islands) and its special places are in a class of their own. A chance to see a Kermode Spirit Bear, or a Grizzly in their natural habitat are high on the list of once in a lifetime experiences.

Enjoy the rest of your visit!
Old 23-03-16, 17:06

Stopped in with Chris Preston and the guys at the Ashton Armoury Museum and their Ferret yesterday. Many thanks for the tour Chris.

It is March break here and "off season". much still closed.

Found some bridging pontoon sections and a Catalina and a Sherman based yarder and been given a tour of a Pilot cutter to name some highlights so far.

Being a forecaster here is easy, cloudy with a chance of showers, or showers with cloudy periods would pretty much nail it.

Amazed at the flora that they can grow here that we can not back home in frigid Ontario.

You would need just one one winning lottery ticket to see our country properly, let alone a place like this. Way too much to take in for a day.

2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Two Canam 250s
Old 23-03-16, 18:03
Terry Warner

Default Madill spar logging equipment

Not much on the attractions side, but this may appeal to your rusty old equipment appetite. (You are warned, these things have a tendancy to follow people home. Just ask Rob about some Cadillac engines ... )

In the 50s, 60s and 70s, the Madill company in Nanaimo had a thriving business converting M4 tank and M32 ARV hulls into logging tower platforms. Their company colours were an orangey-red. The logging companies are retooling - again - and there might be random Madill machines sitting in random machinery or auction yards. A second repurposing of Shermans was by Finning which now owns Caterpillar. Shorten the chassis by one suspension station, plonk a dirty powerful hydraulic rock drill on a corner and start making holes in solid rock for dynamite.
Attached Thumbnails
finning_m32f_tank_drill.jpg   madill 2010 model 071 yarder folded.jpg  

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 23-03-16, 19:50

Default Undercarriages

Shhh! Now the secret is out....

Many of these machines are still in service and parts have been available, but the trend now is for excavator type undercarriages on harvesters and the other machines seen in west coast logging operations. There is a yard not too far from my home that salvages all sorts or larger logging equipment. They have a few M4 finals and undercarriage parts waiting for someone that needs them. If you have deep pockets, it would make a great base for a resto-sherman with modern engine. Places like the old Madill, and now T-Mar build up this stuff locally and may have the remnants in the yard. Unfortunately, an American company, Schnitzer has bought up all the scrap yards on the coast and will not resell anything they get in. It all goes to the torch and loaded out to smelters somewhere. Many a nice small crawler that could have been restored for hobby use has died on the cutting floor.

Unfortunately for Robin, none of this stuff found around will fit in his carry-on luggage...
Old 25-03-16, 14:11

Jes,

who said I was leaving?

2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Two Canam 250s
Old 25-03-16, 18:15

This was not on anyone's list

http://www.tofinohiking.com/hikes/ca...ne-crash-site/

Do some searching on the web reveals quite a bit about it.

Honestly while Tofino is nice the town of Ucluelet is the hidden gem if you are recommending people to visit and stay, there are great cabins and you are well situated for the beaches etc.

One of the local landmarks will be leaving, so they say.

The local resort group has a ship moored as a floating lodge and base for fishing charters.

Although currently called the Canadian Princess she has a military past

http://www.canadianprincess.com/dock...m-the-past.htm

The drive to Tofino up and over the mountain and down to the sea was very fun and enjoyable, the old growth forest was educational also.

2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Two Canam 250s
Old 25-03-16, 18:18

Another maritime sight to see but not visit is the former minesweeper at Sooke

http://sooke.pocketnews.ca/abandoned...p-kristiansen/

this record doesnt quite jive but gives info

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay-class_minesweeper

2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Two Canam 250s
Old 25-03-16, 18:23

You almost like to remember 1964 when a Tsunami hit Port Alberni

http://globalnews.ca/news/1227757/wa...berni-tsunami/

2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Two Canam 250s
Old 25-03-16, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craig View Post
Jes,

who said I was leaving?
Ha, Ha, That's what happens to easterners who come for a visit and never leave. Half of my neighbours are from Alberta and Saskatchewan and the rest are refugees from big cities like Vancouver and Toronto. The lack of lots of snow and real winter are definitely an attraction.

Hope you got into some better weather and can enjoy some of the stuff that this area has to offer. A week of heavy rain would be a disappointment any time of the year. But on a sunny day, a walk along Victoria's Dallas Road waterfront will make up for most of it.

Enjoy the rest of your stay....
Old 08-04-16, 02:33

Default there is to much to take in, in a week

If you land in Victoria or take the ferry drive up the hwy to Campbell river and work your way back from there. I worked for my uncle in Campbell River for three summers.
If you fly to Vancouver you can take the Nanaimo ferry. That is a different trip also the driving to Whistler.
Anyway you take it you will want to go back and see more.