MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up

Notices

Old 17-02-18, 15:19
carrier mech

Default Onan Model # 10LS-6 Generator on Kijii

Not sure the application, but I think we have had discussion on this generator before. Dirk Derin had the tool box for sdale quite some time back, and there was discussion that it might go on the 15cwt Vans.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-ind...ationFlag=true
Attached Thumbnails
onan.JPG  
Old 17-02-18, 22:16

Rob

Do you know if Onan has always been a Cummins product or was it a later company amalgamation? PS just found the story below.

I always thought Onan was an amusing choice of name for a stand-alone generator, the marketing man must have had the Sunday School version of Fred Onan's activities.

I am being unkind because it was a family name with a brilliant history not a play on biblical characters.

http://www.onanfamily.org/wp-content...STORY-1982.pdf

From the above link:

Onan's first major military customer was Great Britain, starting in 1939. Unable to find
dependable portable power plants either in their own country or in Europe, the British turned to
Onan for hundreds of small A.C. generator sets for military radio transmitters and other
communications operations. The British also needed a special direct current generator for
charging batteries. The British military had high praise for the equipment purchased from Onan,
especially because of its trouble-free operation and its durability. The word was passed on to U.S.
military authorities, who were making plans for a quick buildup of defense equipment in the very
likely event America would get involved in the war.

Lang

Last edited by Lang; 17-02-18 at 22:41.
Old 18-02-18, 00:07
carrier mech

Interesting read on the Onan history. No idea about when Cummins acquired Onan.

I believe the Canadian LAVs use an Onan generator mounted up top.

Back to the original topic of the 10LS-6, I had a look at the museums Low Power 3 ton today, and it would appear to have an Onan generator in the back closet, but without the surrounding protective cage. There is certainly room in the closet for the cage though.
Old 18-02-18, 15:01

Rob, just to give a point of reference Onan merged with Cummins Engine Company in 1986
Old 22-01-21, 02:00

Default Onan 10LS-6 generator

Found this recently in Quebec . Original early war brown colour. 12 V / 110 V Canadian military generator . They are out there .
Attached Thumbnails
F5E3D38D-DCA4-4EDE-9860-ABC9533F3F0A.jpeg   AFE514A2-2A79-41E0-88B0-CF483564D03E.jpeg  
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 22-01-21 at 04:55.
Old 22-01-21, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang View Post
Rob

Do you know if Onan has always been a Cummins product or was it a later company amalgamation? PS just found the story below.

I always thought Onan was an amusing choice of name for a stand-alone generator, the marketing man must have had the Sunday School version of Fred Onan's activities.

I am being unkind because it was a family name with a brilliant history not a play on biblical characters.

http://www.onanfamily.org/wp-content...STORY-1982.pdf

Lang

Hi Lang,
Thanks for the link to the Onan company history, truly fascinating. While working in British Army workshops I repaired many Onan sets, most from the early Sixties and recollect there was a link with Studebaker on the data tags.
They were very reliable and most of the work was for things like valves, ignition and and carburettor. These sets were flat twin side valve engines of 240 volt 3.5kva output, later a vertical engine came along to cover the same output.

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor