MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 11-09-14, 14:13
John Dallimore

Default number of links

how many links should there be in a track?

Thanks,

John
Old 11-09-14, 14:52
carrier mech

Brand new it should be 168, with the first link being removed after about 50 miles. As the track wears, you continue to remove links as required. After 10 links have been removed, the track is considered as being worn out.

This was by the book back when you could order new track, and the government paid for it. These days, it would not be unheard of to be running a track down towards the 155/156 link range. Mine is in that range now. Fortunately, I have picked up a much better set which I will install next spring.

I will also make up some new track pins for the old track and get some more life out of it sometime down the road. The pins end up looking like mini-crankshafts when they wear. Multiplied x 156, the stretch is quite appreciable. As long as the links have not been worn through where the sprocket meets the link, they should give a bit more service.
Old 11-09-14, 16:38
John Dallimore

Thanks Rob-Mine are at 163 links so I guess they are half way thru their lives. Should last my lifetime anyway!

John
Old 12-09-14, 02:02
carrier mech

A lot depends on how long ago it has been driven. A freshly restored vehicle will usually quickly go through a few links as the accumulated rust and debris is worn from the track pins. Mine was at 162 when I got it. After dragging it around the yard a bit, and the work done to the suspension etc, it ended up going back together with 160 links to be adjusted properly. After the restoration was completed a short decade later, the track quickly went out of adjustment after just a few miles. Within a few more it became necessary to remove the three links. The track is holding it's own now, but as I mentioned earlier, it will be replaced in the spring with a set of 165 link.

Your mileage may vary of course...it all depends on how rusty the pins are. I actually threw a track at the event we attended this summer. I had just been doing a series of sharp pivot turns about 1/4 mile away from our display area without any issue. When I returned to the display area, I had to do a 45° turn to park the carrier. I heard a slightly different noise, and on trying to back up, knew for sure what it was. I had thrown my right track. Two other forum members, Derk Derin and Gordon Falk, both pitched in immediately to effect the repairs. We had to break that track, back off the adjuster, get the track back over the sprocket, remove the required amount of links, and reassemble. This was at a working agricultural museum, and we had an audience. Some guys actually set up lawn chairs to watch.

While breaking track on the other side to remove a similar amount of links, a young lady with a low cut T-shirt also decided she needed to lean over and see what was going on. We call these "carrier groupies". They are not common to find, and alas my wife was standing just 6 feet away. The wife made mention of it a short time later whle road testing the carriers up through the little pioneer village, to which I had to reply that I saw nothing.
Old 12-09-14, 13:03
Michael Snetsinger

What's the easiest approach to re-pinning a track? Tig weld caps onto ground 4140? I know it's been covered but I'm not sure. Thanks
Mike
Old 13-09-14, 22:26

Mine took 170 to fit NOS track and sprocket. After 10 miles I could remove three links. It's still not perfect and needs to stretch a little more to mesh properly. It moves a lot very quickly at first.
Old 13-09-14, 23:55
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Carrier Groupies

That's funny!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 14-09-14, 13:34

Rob, where do you source your groupies from and what is the going rate?

R
Old 15-09-14, 06:04
carrier mech

One does not source carrier groupies. While they are quite rare, they will find you. You may be waiting a long time mind you. As for rates....they are priceless.
Old 15-09-14, 07:14

Default Making pins

If you have the time and a very basic amount of skill, you could do as I did.
I used cold rolled 7/16 steel rod. I made a jig to set the rod to the correct length. Then using a torch and a hammer I made the required pins (330+) to completely re-pin a T16. It took me a few day labour (spread over the winter) but the end result was a "nail head" on each end of the pin. The track works well so far and once I get the project running properly, I will take it out for a good long drive to see how it lasts. I have no doubt that it will work for a long time to come. When compared to the factory pins it is not as "pretty" but very functional.
Old 17-09-14, 13:47
Michael Snetsinger

Thank you Jon.

Mike
Old 17-09-14, 19:24

Default groupie

Too bad I missed that. I would have loved to have been there to seen this...and maybe help out in putting the track back together.
Old 17-09-14, 21:54
Frankencarrier owner

I put together the RWestmrR monument carrier track with somewhere around 157 links per side. Some of the track was in really bad (almost unsafe condition) due to the rust and pitting, but as it had not actually rolled in probably a decade, it is still quite tight. I'm sure if I had run that track on my carrier for a week or two it would have loosened up considerably.

I forget who previously mentioned using Corroseal, so thanks MLU, the monument carrier looks sharp with its nice shiny track.
Old 05-02-18, 01:47

Default Free

. . . freeing your track pins . . .
Attached Thumbnails
E04D5623-8996-4AF2-AEC9-8BD41EA528AF.jpeg