MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 06-07-06, 02:19

Default location of 4th pldg - december 1943

Gentlemen:

I have been desperately trying to ascertain the precise location of 4PLDG in Dec/43 without much success.

The regt. history is quite vague on this topic. A brief entry has HQ and the other three squadrons scattered on 17 November: HQ-Bonefro, A-Morrone, B-Petrella, C-Ripabottoni.

There is no mention of a change in deployment until December 4th, when the regt. passed into divisional reserve. The official history then speaks of being ordered to "Petacciato on Dec. 4th" Later, its author suggests the unit arrived in latter village but "went on to spend the night in Montenero"

I have tried, in vain, to find maps showing above towns. But specific question is:

Did 4 PLDG, then in div. reserve, spend December in Petacciato or Montenero or the villages suggested in second paragraph of my query?

Quite stumped, thought someone out there might be able to clarify....

Cheers
Old 07-07-06, 15:42
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: location of 4th pldg - december 1943

Quote:
Originally posted by DITNER, S.M.
Gentlemen:

I have been desperately trying to ascertain the precise location of 4PLDG in Dec/43 without much success.

The regt. history is quite vague on this topic. A brief entry has HQ and the other three squadrons scattered on 17 November: HQ-Bonefro, A-Morrone, B-Petrella, C-Ripabottoni.

There is no mention of a change in deployment until December 4th, when the regt. passed into divisional reserve. The official history then speaks of being ordered to "Petacciato on Dec. 4th" Later, its author suggests the unit arrived in latter village but "went on to spend the night in Montenero"

I have tried, in vain, to find maps showing above towns. But specific question is:

Did 4 PLDG, then in div. reserve, spend December in Petacciato or Montenero or the villages suggested in second paragraph of my query?

Quite stumped, thought someone out there might be able to clarify....

Cheers
If you go to your local public library and request this microfilm reel: Reel T-12648 on an inter-library loan from Library and Archives Canada, you'll find the answers your looking for in 4 PLDG's War Diary for December 1943. It will give you the locations of RHQ and the Squadrons during the month of December.

RG24 , National Defence , Series C-3 , Volume 14205 , Reel T-12648
Serial : 580
File Title: 4th Reconnaissance Regiment (4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards)
Outside Dates: 1943/01-1944/12

Cheers
Old 08-07-06, 01:21

Default Cheating

Mr. Tonner:

I have spoken to library about the reels that you kindly listed for me. As yet, I have not heard back....

I thought I might cheat and see if someone out there could supply requested information. I did, however, using Nicholson's book and the (vague) regimental history, nail down the general location. Would appear to be slightly east of Villa Grande where 3/15th Punjabis were dug in prior to clearing latter village.

The actual wording in regt. history is quite ambiguous regarding the placement of each of the squadrons but as you suggested, I am sure this will be in war diary.

I will confirm using source you suggested when possible.

Much obliged.