MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 15-09-04, 15:11
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Lucky day - 6pdr

Today I was given a 6pdr AT shell. The stampings are unfamiliar to me (It's not Australian), but there appears to be a stamp on the primer housing that looks like a Maple Leaf - Could this be Canadian?
Attached Thumbnails
6pdr.jpg  
Old 15-09-04, 15:15
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

I don't think so, Tony.... everything WE produced had a "C" surrounding the broad arrow. But it does look good, can I have it...?
Old 16-09-04, 02:04
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default C Broad arrow

Geoff, on the base of the shell (Visible in the upper pic near the words 6pdr 7cwt) there appears to be a partial ink stamp similar to the type found on patt 37 webbing of an arrow surrounded by a large C.
Old 16-09-04, 03:46
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Not an expert here by any means but have recently been picking up some arty shells for my collection. Learning along the way.
One thing that I can say is that many shell casings have been reloaded during thier service so it is quite possible, even in time of war that this was the case. I could especialy see this during training or practice.
Note the couple places with the British broad arrow on its own.
The stamp does appear to be a c- arrow.
Anyone else with some thoughts?
Old 17-09-04, 00:56
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default 6 Pounder round

Hello Tony:

I will grab my standard reference and check the origin of your 6 pounder round. It appears to be Canadian but I will confirm tomorrow. Can you post a photo of the profile especially if it shows any stencils.

Cheers, Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 17-09-04, 04:09
GM Fox I

Default Fired?

Is it just me, or does that primer look un-fired?
Old 17-09-04, 18:03
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default 6 Pounder casing

Hi Tony:

You have a Canadian made casing. The broad arrow mark was stamped into the brass and the "C" braod arrow is an ink stamping (yours is nice and clear so don't polish it away! )

The primer is a No15 Mk II/C (the /C is the indication that it is Canadian) made in May 1942. The other numbers are lot numbers and codes for accounting, etc.

People might think it odd that a Canadian casing ended up in Oz but I'm not surprised at all. The Canadian arsenals were pouring out ammunition for the whole Commonwealth... perhaps that one went from Canada to UK to North Africa or the Med and then to Oz... if it could only speak!

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 19-09-04, 02:18
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Indeed unfired!

Wife has absconded with the digital camera on this fine Spring morn, but the case is unfired along with the AP projectile that came with it. It was given to me by a retired Armoured Corps gent who obtained it during his service during the 50's and 60's. He dismantled the shell and the projectile was buffed up with a wire wheel and the sides of the case were polished. It is in remarkably good condition. We met at an open day at our local AA Gun emplacements and got to talking. I mentioned 6pdr anti-tank guns and he said he had something that I might like to take a look at, that his grandkids wouldn't appreciate. He came by the next day and after a bit of a look round, decided that he didn't need the shell any longer and before I could say "Ta, Digger", it was mine.
Old 19-09-04, 13:42
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default 6pdr projectile

The alloy of the steel has prevented the projectile from rust/tarnishing for many years, and the case was polished, thus removing any stencilling from the sides. All of the inspection stamps are clearly visible on the steel and on the copper driving band. I'm in two minds wether to try and recreate the finish and markings on the projectile, or just enjoy it in all it's naked glory. Cor, what a find!
Attached Thumbnails
6pdr-2.jpg  
Old 14-11-04, 17:58

Default 6Pdr finds

While out walking less than a mile from my home I came across an old disused farm trailer which has the wheels and hubs from a 6 pound AT gun fitted to it.unfortunatly trees have grown through the trailer so I can't tow the thing out,guess I'll have to cut it up and carry/winch it out (I've already asked the owner!!)
Old 14-11-04, 22:33

Default pictures

matt
post some pictures. Please......
Barry