MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 28-04-08, 12:19
former Resident Historian

Default Pre-war Canadian military vehicle photos

I have been advised by my Editor that as ROADSCENE may well be sold through a Canadian distributor now, for issue 104 out in a few weeks' time I am to write a series of articles on British and British-assembled CMPs and the development of CMPs that led to British orders. This will precede the intended book! As this will be a precised assessment from the DND papers, together with updates from the British War Office papers, I hope that it will be of interest.

I am hoping that I could acquire the use of photos of 1935-1939 Canadian military wheeled vehicles for illustrative purposes. I would offer a free year's subscription in return for any supplied. I am always conscious of copyrights, but it does seem that unlike the UK, Canadian Crown Copyright is no longer a problem, being over 50 years, and this seems to cover all military photos that I have seen.

Cheers!
Old 04-05-08, 10:47

Default Photos

Has anyone got any suitable photos please of Canadian military vehicles, 1931-1940 please?
Old 04-05-08, 15:13
Derek Heuring

Default 1934 Chevrolet Armoured Car

From the DND website:

In 1934, the government found enough money to finance two experimental armoured cars. The deal with both Ford and Chevrolet has been that the government would pay for the chassis and materials used while the company would look after design work and labour. When the cost were totalled up, the government came up ahead, fot it had to pay less than $2,500 each for cars which had cost Ford and GM more than $9,000 to build.

The Government and NDHQ were sufficiently impressed to think about two more cars, to go to the Strathconas. But when negotiations were opened with Ford and GM it turned out that they were unwilling to subsidize Canadian defence and the modernization of the militia by taking further losses. Additional machines would cost $9,500 a copy. The Liberals had just won a general election and a rather feeble excuse was quickly concocted to abandon the deal.

Regimental History
Both cars proved eminently satisfactory, the ten-wheeled Ford having a slight edge in cross-country performance, the Chevrolet being better on any kind of a road. There were minor weaknesses in the suspension and steering mechanisms of each, but the chief criticism: Turret communication. It has been found that in travelling across country continuous directions have to come from the turret to the driver. This at present is very difficult and a speaking tube or light signalling system is recommended. The Chevrolet remained with the Regiment until its departure for Europe in November 1941.

Technical Details

Engine: 6 cyl
Speed: 30 mph
5 mph in reverse
Range: 100 miles
Armament: 1 x Vickers Mk VI medium Machine Gun
Crew: 4
Armour: Rivetted and bolted

Picture:
A Dragoon in front of a Chevrolet armoured car in St. Jean circa 1940. Stencilled on the vehicle is "R.C.D. 35-1-92." The photo was taken during the winter
Attached Thumbnails
Interwar armoured car prototype.jpg  
Old 04-05-08, 19:17
RIP

For a complete history of the 1935 armoured cars I recommend Roger Lucy's definitive work. Typical of this series the full political/social background is detailed.

Old 04-05-08, 19:23

Default Front ends

You can see the later military truck front ends in the Ford and Chevrolet versions. Does anyone PLEASE have any publishable shots of these ACs? Also the 1938 trials M-H, and tracked vehicles?

Cheers!
Old 04-05-08, 20:47
David Pope

There's always the halftrack on this thread.

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...ight=halftrack
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 05-05-08, 00:05

Default Ta!

Thanks David! I am after copies of originals if at all possible. I have one as you know of the 1938 Ford-Scammell FAT in 1940 that a French guy acquired on Epay.