MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 28-11-05, 22:50
MVT Member 11001

Default RAF Crash tender identification

Hi folks can anyone help ID the Crash tender?

Behind the two Free French Airmen in black overalls, who have just landed at RAF Christchurch in a stolen German Bucker Bu131, in April 1941, is the station crash tender but can anyone confirm what type it is and supply a clear shot of the same type of crash tender? It looks very much like an Albion AM463 from the radiator, which is commonly seen as a refueller and an ambulance but hardly ever as any other version, though Bart's book does say it had other uses. However the overhang of the cab roof over the windscreen does look more 'Crossley'. Someone who was based at Christchurch at the time thought that the crash tender was left there by the prewar Flying Club but I don't think it is a civi model.
Attached Images

Last edited by Larry Hayward; 28-11-05 at 22:59.
Old 28-11-05, 22:58
MVT Member 11001

Default RAF Crash Tender

I was not happy with the size of the photo, so I have tried again
Attached Thumbnails
bucker gd+eg - boudard, pritchard & herbert -3.jpg  
Old 28-11-05, 23:52

Larry,

Are you baseing your assumption that it is a crash truck, by the ladder? The body and way the ladder is stowed, looks very much like a prewar Albion Post Office Telephones linesmans truck. BT have restored one, take a look at this link;

http://www.connected-earth.com/Galle...enetworklooked

Richard

Last edited by Richard Farrant; 29-11-05 at 00:13.
Old 29-11-05, 00:31
Dog Robber

Damn, I missed the truck entirely.
I lthought he was talking about the bloody bicycle and thought he had a bit too much to drink.

Bill
Old 29-11-05, 10:01
MVT Member 11001

Default Crash Tender

Richard,

Thanks a lot - I would say that your ID is exact, as everything about the vehicle matches the GPO Albion. The only question remaining is what it was used for on the Airfield. It is parked on the airfield in front of the sheds on the left, that housed the crash tender, so perhaps it's all they had available; an ex GPO van equipped with a few fire extinguishers. Its use as a crash tender would also support my eyewitness account that the crash tender was 'prewar'. RAF Christchurch from 1940-42 was the home of the Special Duty Flight, that carried out airborne radar trials (AI & ASV) for the RAF / Air Ministry but being non-operational had to make do with a second rate airfield and many impressed vehicles. I know they also used a high sided furniture removals lorry as well.

NB Les, perhaps we should have a thread on impressed RAF vehicles too!
Old 29-11-05, 12:46
Historian

Default Re: Crash Tender

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hayward
Richard,

Thanks a lot - I would say that your ID is exact, as everything about the vehicle matches the GPO Albion. The only question remaining is what it was used for on the Airfield. It is parked on the airfield in front of the sheds on the left, that housed the crash tender, so perhaps it's all they had available; an ex GPO van equipped with a few fire extinguishers. Its use as a crash tender would also support my eyewitness account that the crash tender was 'prewar'. RAF Christchurch from 1940-42 was the home of the Special Duty Flight, that carried out airborne radar trials (AI & ASV) for the RAF / Air Ministry but being non-operational had to make do with a second rate airfield and many impressed vehicles. I know they also used a high sided furniture removals lorry as well.

NB Les, perhaps we should have a thread on impressed RAF vehicles too!
On the other hand even RAF stations have telephones and poles etc. It could just be a GPO van going about its business :idea:
Old 29-11-05, 15:40

Hi Larry
good idea re impressed RAF vehicles would it not be best to include them in the current RAF vehicle thread, i get giddy bouncing around all these threads good fun though
cheers Les
Old 29-11-05, 22:58
MVT Member 11001

Default Fire Tender

'On the other hand even RAF stations have telephones and poles etc. It could just be a GPO van going about its business'

- I thought that too. But the strangely the vehicle is on the airside part of airfield whereas all the buildings and a large parking area was behind the photographer! There was nothing else to connect to on the other side of the landing strip.

Surely if a 15cwt CMP can act as a fire tender (as seen on another thread) so could an old GPO van. It would be interesting to know what (little) equipment was carried on early RAF crash tenders before the advent of proper Fire engines such as the Austin K6 & Crossley Q etc.