MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 11-04-07, 04:14

Default Universal carrier wanted in NSW

Wanted in NSW Australia LP2, LP2A2 Universal Carrier (Bren Carrier) in respectable condition. It must have all the tracks and bogies not a hull on bricks but it doesn’t matter if the hull has been cut down to track level or if the motor doesn’t run or has been removed but no heavy remodeling. Also I did manage to get on to John Belfield but even though he as several Universal carriers I hit rocks dew to the fact that he is in Victoria and I am in New South Wales and transportation of such a vehicle between states has become a nightmare. If any one has or knows of a carrier up for grabs please email me (the_elite88@hotmail.com) or leave a message on this post. PS my father is looking for a F15 OR F60S blitz truck in respectable condition and in NSW if you know of any please leave a message on this post.
Old 11-04-07, 06:50

Angry

Vincent

Just to clear something up....You are looking for a Machine Gun Carrier LP2A (Aust), not a Universal Carrier. Universal carriers were made in England, Canada and India - but not here.

Secondly, I doubt that you will have much luck as it is apparent from your request for a cut down hull, that you are intending to do one of those repro jobs, judging by your email address your probably contemplating a Panzer 1.

An Australian Carrier in its own right is a relatively rare vehicle. It isn't a German vehicle, wasn't ever and won't ever be.

You'd have better luck trying to get spare road wheels and track and building a hull from scratch.

Most of the Carrier collector / restorers here won't let you in on the location of a carrier as they would rather see it restored as a carrier. The bits and pieces are hard enough to find to finish a restoration without them becoming other things.

Pedr
Old 11-04-07, 10:41
Bluebell

"Sik'em" Pedr.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 11-04-07, 11:51
RIP

Default Be Nice Guys

Come on Pedr and Lynn, be nice to Vincent. Rob in Qld is proposing to convert two Carriers into a Vickers Light Tank, so what is the difference. I certainly can't pick what Vincent wants to do.
Bob
Old 11-04-07, 23:51
Bluebell

Default My apologies Vincent

Bob you are right of course.I agree with Pedr's sentiments, but I am out of line.
Vincent, would you like to tell us of your plans. (I will not critisize)

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 12-04-07, 01:45

I don't intend to make a Panzer 1 I was just saying I wouldn't mind if the hull was cut down to track level as I have the skill to make an upper hull and as for carrier designations I couldn't care less for what we call them every one knows what a universal carrier is but some people wouldn’t know what a LP2 is would they? I don’t plan to heavily modify anything maybe a diesel conversion and exhaust brakes but that’s it.

Last edited by Vincent Anderson; 12-04-07 at 02:08.
Old 12-04-07, 11:19

Default Nightmare

Hi Vincent,
Just a question, you say that transport between states of such a vehicle is a nightmare? what does this mean? have the powers to be moved the goal posts, I have just located an interesting one and am wondering if we might strike a problem in moving it.
Regards,
Ron,
Old 13-04-07, 10:00

No Ron, I think Vincent 's problem is the distances involved & the transport costs. Moving carriers all over the countryside can get a little expensive if you don't have a truck or trucking contact. My first one cost me nearly as much to move as it cost to purchase. Berhaps Bob would be able to post you his jigsaw carrier piece by piece?????Just write "card only" on the envelope for discounted postage rate tee hee......

Rob
Old 13-04-07, 10:39

Default Transport costs,

Hi Rob,
I reckon if you really want a carrier the transport cost really does not matter, after all the exercise of restoring one is not cheap, I have moved them thousands of kilometres, and never really thought of the cost, if we did most of us would never get a carrier and at the end of the day it all seems worth while,someone said to me many years ago that there are no pockets in shrouds
Old 13-04-07, 15:02

True Ron very true. I told Bridgette I need more carriers in the yard,that there are no pockets in shrouds- and she promised me one- shroud that is!!

Rob
Old 14-04-07, 00:14

Default Shrouds

Hi Rob,
Hell thats good news really, at least she is still talking to you even after you told her that you needed more carriers in the yard, just watch the reaction if I am able to get that Matilda for you,but get ready to duck
Regards,
Ron
Old 15-04-07, 00:58

Default Nightmare with transportation

My problem with the transportation is dew to the weight and distance it would have to be moved some 800km giving a total of 1600km or so the truck company would have to travel hauling 4.5 tones half that distance. I have rang six or so heavy transport services and all say the same thing ‘how heavy is it’ ‘oh that much hay’ ‘and how far will it be hauled’ ‘that’s a fare distance’ ‘Im sorry we can’t do that but I know some one who can’ then they pass you on to some one ells who say’s the exact same thing the you end up back at the start. Most said they would do it if the carrier was in NSW so I have to find one closer. Also I have limited funds riding on this project and so must be careful so that I have money to actually do some thing with the dam thing once I have it.
Old 15-04-07, 14:26
RIP

Default Carrier Weights

Hello Vincent
According to the manuals the unladen weight of a Carrier is 3 tons 13 cwt. 4.5 tons is the laden weight with crew. I'll indicate to you the same as I have to Plushy. Check out the Carrier posts Peek-A-Boo and Operation Jigsaw and PM me if interested.
Salesman Bob
Old 16-04-07, 03:02

Hello Bob Moseley
Your post got me thinking my father owns a duel axel car trailer which we have hauled heavy duty stuff on (1980 Range Rover, series 3 land rover and small tractors) and I think the carrying capacity is around 2750 kg so what do you think a cut down carrier would weigh the reason I say this is that the less armor it has the easer it would be to work on and to transport.