MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 11-06-04, 18:15
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Richard

We had only glimpses of the Normandy events here. The TV reports were focused on the big wigs and some loony re - enacters on the beach somewhere . No vehicles seen at all .

A very good TV doco called 10 days to D-Day aired on TV .

I won't sleep for weeks now, seeing that 4x4 Pu Morris . I WANT ONE . I guess its Rons ? Is the 11 set in it yet ? PICs please

Mike

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 11-06-04 at 18:54.
Old 12-06-04, 06:32
Vets Dottir

Default Crap

Can't load the end of the thread to view pics, BULLOCKS ANYWAYS, but can hit "reply" and scroll down to see what you-all wrote anyways.

chain
Old 14-06-04, 06:26
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Background vehicles

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
That's a Scammell, just over Geoff's left shoulder, isn't it?
Great pictures you posted.
I dug amongst the images on the CD and here's one of the Pioneer from the REME vehicle museum, we usually get 3 or 4 turn up, quite popular things.

R.
Attached Thumbnails
scammell.jpg  
Old 14-06-04, 12:03
MLU Administrator

Default Re: PU 8/4

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Kelly
I won't sleep for weeks now, seeing that 4x4 Pu Morris . I WANT ONE .
Mike, I wanted one too, tried to buy the other one when the Victory Museum at Arlon, Belgium, closed down. However, most of the collection was sold off and it ended up here .... http://www.wwiivictory.org

Was riding shotgun on Rory's PU for many miles in Normandy, wonderful vehicles they are. BTW, we visited a French vehicle collector near Caen who recently acquired a PU which had been in French military use after WW2. No doubt Rory will fill you in on the details soon. Interestingly, it has had a Class I rebuild in 1945, and the owner found the chassis, axles etc. had been totally repainted in a blue-grey colour. Can anyone explain that colour? Ex-RN truck, just a colour that happened to be in stock, on demand of the new owner?

H.
Old 14-06-04, 18:07
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default PU report

Hanno ,

I have read that that large collection in Belguim was purchased by a wealthy Amercian , he shipped it all over the Atlantic pond in two ships . I wonder what the yanks make of it all .

" Morris Commercial ? , Oh yeah , that 's that old TV advert for cigarettes ". Phillip Morris was the company , tobacco giants .

The Humber Hexonaught must have them in a spin . The Brits invented the agri 6 wheeler 40 years before anyone else .

You have been riding in the PU ! I wanted to come over but Richard would not send me the air fare . He won't speak to me now . And , I have located another No. 1 set antenna base for Rory . But , a swap may be arranged , for something rare , like a PU battery terminal , a WW2 one of course , dug up in a French field , left behind by the BEF .

Another PU , a French one . My PU was nearly burnt to ashes by a bushfire here two months ago .

Mike
Old 04-11-06, 00:56
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: King's Stone

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Notton
The Canadian representative and salutin' person of the drive-past gets a quiet word from Rear Admiral Bawtree.

"Look, just hang on a few minutes more and then leg it to the church hall before all the Standards gulp the rum."

R.
SH.SC.
Finally found someone to copy the PAL DVD Richard and the Ballards sent me; it covers the OVERLORD 60 operation in its entirety, including, yes, you knew it was coming, yours truly. While the best of SUNRAY ended up on the cutting room floor, it reminded me of how good a crew we have working out of Shirrell Heath, and just how good their Solent Overlord show really is.

Gentlemen (and ladies), no better time may be had at no better show in southern England. I would urge you to attend if you can, and surely, at some point, I will see you there again.