MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 28-03-09, 02:09

Default Information challenge – force of a kangaroo punch

My wife is a career reference librarian, during her career she has come across only a handful of questions that she could not dig up the for answer. This is one - she needs to know the force (newtons, foot pounds any measure of force) of a large male kangaroos punch. So I’m putting the challenge out to the MLU community, in particular our members in Australia. How long will it take to come up with an answer? My guess is under 12 hours.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 28-03-09, 04:02
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
My wife is a career reference librarian, during her career she has come across only a handful of questions that she could not dig up the for answer. This is one - she needs to know the force (newtons, foot pounds any measure of force) of a large male kangaroos punch. So I’m putting the challenge out to the MLU community, in particular our members in Australia. How long will it take to come up with an answer? My guess is under 12 hours.
Phil..
No problem finding about force and people..

This paper presents the first direct measurement of punch force in professional boxing matches. Measurements were made using a proprietary system that records the force associated with punch impact. Twelve boxers wore boxing gloves incorporating the bestshot System TM in six professional boxing matches across five different weight classes. The force of each delivered punch was measured across all rounds of all bouts. Mean punch forces delivered ranged from 866.6 N (Super Middleweight) to 1149.2 N (Light Middleweight) across the fights and was not significantly correlated with boxer’s weight. In each of the three bouts where the outcome was determined by judges’ decision, the boxer delivering the greater cumulative force and the greater number of punches won unanimously. These measurements, the first direct measurement of punch force in professional boxing matches, are considerably less than those found in laboratory demonstrations, and likely reflect the dynamic nature of the ring. The ability to measure punch force directly may be beneficial in training, judging, and monitoring the health of boxers during competitive matches.

So Take...these numbers...take an average...

Mean punch forces delivered ranged from 866.6 N (Super Middleweight) to 1149.2 N (Light Middleweight)...

add++++....

And Bob's your uncle...!!
Throw in a ..... for good measure..
(You missed a great night at Gracies tonight..)
Old 28-03-09, 04:06
Pops

Phil
did your wife want to know how much punch a roo has from the paws or those big feet they have that they jump along with. As a big old roo can knock you over with his big feet
Old 28-03-09, 05:00
Andrew

It would also depend on variety and size of kangaroo you are trying to compare it against
There is almost 60 different species of kangaroo
Red kangaroo being the largest growing to almost 90 kgs and around 6 foot in height
The back legs are very formidable easily opening up a dog or human with one strike with the large centre claw
even the front paws are extremely sharp and can cut fairly easily

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"

Last edited by aj.lec; 28-03-09 at 05:13.
Old 28-03-09, 05:51
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.lec View Post
It would also depend on variety and size of kangaroo you are trying to compare it against
There is almost 60 different species of kangaroo
Red kangaroo being the largest growing to almost 90 kgs and around 6 foot in height
The back legs are very formidable easily opening up a dog or human with one strike with the large centre claw
even the front paws are extremely sharp and can cut fairly easily
Andrew, you are turning this into a Monty Python sketch!:
What's the average flying speed of a Swallow?
African or European?
I don't Knooooowww...

Despite the common perception of "Boxing Kangaroos", their upper body strength is quite weak. The fight by grappling their opponent by the neck with their arms to hold them close, transferring their weight to their tail and kicking with their feet. Even without breaking skin, the force of their legs and rapidity of the strikes are probably on a par with a heavyweight boxer.
Attached Images

Old 28-03-09, 07:50

My two bobs worth on this stop the presses subject is:

As mentioned, kangaroos do not punch in the wild (I watch them out my back window every morning). As stated they grapple to set up a hind-foot kick almost never seriously injurious to their opponent. This happens daily in the human-like disputes over women or a particularly juicy patch of grass. By far the most common fight is when the two bucks stand chest to chest on tip-toe to gain impressive height and start slapping each other like two patrons in a gay bar dispute. A long fight is two minutes.

Showmen over the years have fitted them with gloves but the strikes are of a flapping/slapping motion never a straight right or a left hook.

I suggest you lay your head on the kitchen scales and have your wife give you a " moderately naughty boy" smack across the ear. The measured deflection of the dial would be a pretty close measurement of the energy of a kangaroo "punch".

Below is photo of a kangaroo mugging my 3 year old grandson and other kids recently.
Lang
Attached Thumbnails
Ben Roo2.jpg  

Last edited by Lang; 28-03-09 at 08:31.
Old 28-03-09, 14:04

Default Refine the question a little

Any size kangaroo.
Using forefeet or hind feet.

The question from a library patron was not that specific so lets assume the worst or hardest hit possible.

If you are wondering this is what librarians talk about after a long hard week after the second glass of wine.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com