MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Parts/Sources/Prices

Notices

Old 11-10-16, 00:48

Default Chevrolet transmission bearing numbers

Can anybody give me modern bearing numbers for the Chev trany?
Not all my bearings have numbers so your current numbers would really help!! B.P.
Old 11-10-16, 14:52

Default Do you have the original bearings?

Hi Bob

Do you have the original bearings to check against? Last time I needed bearings for the transmission all the big bearings had numbers on them that did cross over directly to current bearings. Only acception I remember is the pilot bearing (cage) on the main shaft.

If not, will look through my transmission overhaul pictures to see if I can get the numbers for all the main bearing from the photos.

Will take a look at my old civilian chevy parts book to see if it gives chevy parts number or New Departure numbers.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 11-10-16, 15:37
MLU Administrator

Bob,

If you have a designation, or even only dimensions, you can go to http://webtools3.skf.com/BearingCalc...Product.action and insert dimensions and bearing type to come up with an SKF part number. This can be used to cross reference to the manufacturer of your choice.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 12-10-16, 00:25

Default Now I see the problem

Hi Bob

Now I think I see where your question is coming from, two of the major sources of Chevy Parts like transmission parts have gone away, my old source for all this kind of stuff has been sold (Obsolete Chevrolet, Nashville, GA) and the company that I thought had bought them which I believe also bought MACs did not retain the old part numbers.

I have found all of the bearing numbers in the 1938-1951 Canadian Chevrolet Mapleleaf Trucksand it can post the part numbers but the are the chevy proprietary numbers not the New Departure, Hyatt numbers.

Then spent a hour for the fun of it trying to find any of those parts at the different Chevy parts sources. No luck.

Really glad that three years ago when I broke a 3rd gear tooth, found a NOS complete transmission and then found a new 3rd gear and rebuilt the other transmission and put it on the shelf. Now I've got a spare if any of my trucks has a problem because finding parts has gotten a lot harder in just a couple of years.

As has been suggested by Hanno if you have old bearing you can work through the dimensions.

In the past I have found companies like https://www.motionindustries.com/pro...alogSearch.jsp had easy to use cross reference systems which I have not been able to find on their site right now.

Here are some numbers to start with though

Lower shaft front Hyatt C-1206, rear Hyatt C-1207
Pilot Bearing L&S 93424
Main Shaft rear New Departure 3307

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 12-10-16, 01:37
carrier mech

I'm not a chevy man, but I'll take a run at some of the bearings. NAPA prolink will convert most of the old GM numbers to modern bearing numbers. For instance:

4.355 Bearing, clutch gear pn 903209 = 6209J
4.408 Bearing transmission rear pn 901307 = 307J
4.422 Bearing countershaft front pn 142260 = M1206UV
4.422 Bearing countershaft rear pn 121856 = M1207TV

The last part numbers I gave are the common modern number, and if you check on ebay you should find them at reasonable prices.
Old 12-10-16, 02:59

Default Lost my Bearings......

Hi Bob

Just found you PM.

On all the bearings for my cab 11...... the original part numbers and modern equivalent were only used to confirm we had the right ones after we ordered by size alone.

I made use of Industrial Solutions on Ottawa but understand that GBS, General Bearing Services, work on the same basis. Bring the parts in and the measure the ID...OD...thickness and use a modern search engine to identify the makers and where they are in stock.....location can affect the price with shipping.

Of all the bearings on my cab 11 the only one that was and is still a problem to locate is the bottom rear most bearing C 1207....... fortunately it is located low in the gear box and usually swims in oil and most are still good. It seems that there are few if any modern equivlent that will match the ID and OD.

Note that on some modern bearings they have a sealed neoprene facing ....some on one face some on both....... depending on the location they can be made/modified to suit the gear box location by carefully cutting the neoprene seal on the face of the bearing that is facing to the inside and let the gear oil run into the bearing race.

One more caution on the gear box rebuild...... on the back side.... where the output yoke is located..... the original oil seals have a sheet metal washer design like mikey mouse ears.... so the bolts actually go through the seal edge....... as far as I know the original desing is NO longer made but if you carefully dismantle the used original seal you can salvage the sheet metal that will hold the new seal in place. Use lock tite on these bolts so they will not back off and be sheared off by the rotating Yoke....... Similarly when installing the U-Joint to the Yoke use self locking nuts and lock tite to make sure the yoke bolts will not work loose and shear the rear cover off the tranny.

Lock tite can be easily overcomed with a small propane torch or an electric paint stripper gun if open flame is not your favorite trick.

Bob...input shaft is on the way.....with the bearing.

Been slowed down with a broken ankle which has finally healed well but left me with a hip bursitis...... bitch!!!!!

Just call me Hoop a long...........
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 12-10-16 at 03:22.