MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 17-01-18, 13:41

Default My new project

Hi all, apologies for the vague title for this thread. Truth be told I am not really sure what I have gotten myself into and would appreciate any help identifying these two rigs.

I have always loved "Blitz" trucks. Couple that with my love of anything with a transfer case and well, here I am!

The first one is the most complete. Ex South Australian Fire Austhority truck with sunshine roof. Unfortunately the plate they have welded along the chassis for bracing and strength has covered the chassis number.
It is running a Falcon straight 6 and auto! As you can see the nose has been extended to fit the ford 250.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	833.9 KB
ID:	97161

The second is a longer wheel base but has had the rear diff moved forward. It has a chev 6 in it and is also running a PTO. This one is missing the roof but is less molested. Its chassis number is 38444 ?0

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 11.33.21 pm copy.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	572.2 KB
ID:	97162

I hope to make 1 good one out of the two. I am not convinced I will restore these to the standard of many on this forum. I would still like to be able to take it off road or camping and not worry wrecking the resto. Maybe a freshen up instead?
Old 17-01-18, 19:51

Welcome to the forum, Tim. Lot’s of wisdom here, ready to be shared.

Enjoy,

David
Old 17-01-18, 20:03

Hi Tim,
At the end of the day, any restoration only has to please one person....you.
A blitz on the road is better than two going to scrap, have fun.
Rich.
Old 17-01-18, 20:40
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Miller View Post
The second is a longer wheel base but has had the rear diff moved forward. It has a chev 6 in it and is also running a PTO. This one is missing the roof but is less molested. Its chassis number is 38444 ?0
Have you measured the wheelbase? Does the work in moving the diff forward look homemade or possibly factory?

8444 is the chassis code for a C15A with a 101" wheelbase. A C15A should have 16" wheels, but those 20's look very much at home on that truck. The cab is set up for Australian canvas doors. With the presence of the winch and the absence of a roof, this could possibly be mistaken for a Gun Tractor, although a Gun Tractor chassis should be 8440 and that cab set up for canvas doors rules it out.

Nice to see good trucks can still be found in the bracken fern!
Old 17-01-18, 23:08

Great to see you on here Tim.
I'm really pleased they have gone to someone
who has the wherewithal to get one on the road
and not leave them to languish as I have.
I look forward to your progress.
Cheers Tim
Old 18-01-18, 06:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Welcome to the forum, Tim. Lot’s of wisdom here, ready to be shared.

Enjoy,

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith View Post
Hi Tim,
At the end of the day, any restoration only has to please one person....you.
A blitz on the road is better than two going to scrap, have fun.
Rich.
Thanks Gents. A good way of looking at it Richard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
Have you measured the wheelbase? Does the work in moving the diff forward look homemade or possibly factory?

8444 is the chassis code for a C15A with a 101" wheelbase. A C15A should have 16" wheels, but those 20's look very much at home on that truck. The cab is set up for Australian canvas doors. With the presence of the winch and the absence of a roof, this could possibly be mistaken for a Gun Tractor, although a Gun Tractor chassis should be 8440 and that cab set up for canvas doors rules it out.

Nice to see good trucks can still be found in the bracken fern!
Thank you Tony. I have found some of Tim Lovelock's (PO) posts. It appears the diff has been moved forward and bolted not riveted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lovelock View Post
Great to see you on here Tim.
I'm really pleased they have gone to someone
who has the wherewithal to get one on the road
and not leave them to languish as I have.
I look forward to your progress.
Cheers Tim
Thanks Tim. Great to see you on here too. I have been snooping through some of your old posts. A lot of good info and detective work already done.
Old 18-01-18, 11:51

Quote:
Thanks Tim. Great to see you on here too. I have been snooping through some of your old posts. A lot of good info and detective work already done.
All good ����
Old 18-01-18, 19:04
Terry Warner

Quote:
The first one is the most complete. Ex South Australian Fire Austhority truck with sunshine roof. Unfortunately the plate they have welded along the chassis for bracing and strength has covered the chassis number.
It is running a Falcon straight 6 and auto! As you can see the nose has been extended to fit the ford 250
The replacement engine is an interesting departure from the original wartime driveline. It is a part of the history of that vehicle, and in some ways should not be reversed. In your situation, I would scrape and paint and rebuild it as a Fire Authority truck circa whatever year you choose. Likely whatever the SN of the engine tells you.

No one here will critique your workmanship or your intent. Especially if your intent is to have a functioning spare vehicle for off roading.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 18-01-18, 23:27

I am normaly very much convinced that historic vehicles should be restored to the state in which they left the factory but I think thet Terry's post above makes a lot of sense. It would also be a really nice vehicle to drive with the Ford 250 and auto box and the auto box should avoid damage to the original power train by reducing shock loads. With the bigger wheels it would also be usefully faster. Come to think of it you could paint it black with flames on the doors...... (No, please don't !)
Old 19-01-18, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
The replacement engine is an interesting departure from the original wartime driveline. It is a part of the history of that vehicle, and in some ways should not be reversed. In your situation, I would scrape and paint and rebuild it as a Fire Authority truck circa whatever year you choose. Likely whatever the SN of the engine tells you.

No one here will critique your workmanship or your intent. Especially if your intent is to have a functioning spare vehicle for off roading.
Thank you Terry. I like your thinking on that. Thanks for the positive words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herbert View Post
I am normaly very much convinced that historic vehicles should be restored to the state in which they left the factory but I think thet Terry's post above makes a lot of sense. It would also be a really nice vehicle to drive with the Ford 250 and auto box and the auto box should avoid damage to the original power train by reducing shock loads. With the bigger wheels it would also be usefully faster. Come to think of it you could paint it black with flames on the doors...... (No, please don't !)
Pink flames it is then!

Thanks David. Getting it running, driving and back on the road is my first priority. Making it look pretty will come later.