MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 05-12-15, 03:59
carrier mech

Default Lower Rad Hose

When I rebuilt my carrier I ran into a problem with the lower rad hoses. I just used straight hose from the water pump outlet to the rad. I ended up with a leak from one of the radiator inlets, and later realized that the original hoses were not straight, but rather had a slight rise to them.

I recently discovered that the early 50s Ford cars use a similar rad hose to what was on the carrier. Here is a link to the Mac's listing: http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_me...d-v8-only.html

The hose is also available from NAPA as part number 7013 for about $20Cdn (full retail price is $40....ouch).

I have a set on order now, and know full well how hard it is going to be to hang upside down and change those hoses. Before I do, has anyone else successfully used these later hoses on a carrier?
Attached Images

Old 05-12-15, 04:09

Maybe this is why my rad always had a slight leak. I've been using marine exhaust hose on my carrier. I chose it as it was pretty cheap and made to handle high temps. A local liquid handling supplier carried it.

Let us know how they fit. I'm sure Macs will suddenly get a small surge in lower rad hose orders if they do.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 05-12-15, 05:13
carrier mech

With any luck I will be installing a set on the 2VP carrier at work in a couple weeks. As it is a bare hull right now, it will let me see the angles and the stresses.

I used a fairly heavy bulk hose on my carrier. I ended up sending my rad for cleaning and pressure testing due to overheating along with a slight leak. On re-installation, I noticed the slight leak around the inlet, and realized the lower hose was causing stress, especially on one side of the rad.

A year back I bought 3 hulls, and on one of them, it turned out there was a good engine. I bought the hulls expecting the one engine to be a boat anchor. On draining the antifreeze, I noticed the little correction bend in the lower hoses and realised that I had made an error on mine. As well, a look in FUC-3 shows the little wave in the lower hose. I always thought they were just bulk hose when in fact they are preformed.
Old 05-12-15, 09:51

Default Radiator hose

You can get RADIATOR HOSE with an external helix, making it possible to bend without kinking. Any industrial HOSE stockists or dealer worth their salt can get it. If anyone needs help, I can find out its correct name (well here in UK anyway) but most is produced abroad!
Old 05-12-15, 15:01
carrier mech

In the trade we call that flex hose. Dayco manufactures it....here is a chart of the available sizes and lengths: http://www.daycoproducts.com/stuff/c...diatorhose.gif

http://www.daycoproducts.com/part?ca...number%3D81281

The part number from Dayco is 81281. Slightly longer but it should do the trick. These were installed on the 2VP carrier I took apart at work. There will still be some stress on the inlet due to the short span, but it will be better than straight hose.

The NAPA equivalent for the flex hose is FM09 and is roughly half the price of the pre-formed ones.

Personally, I'm going for the preformed.

So lots of carriers out there moving about. What have others used?
Old 05-12-15, 17:50

The stuff we use comes in 1M lengths and has helix the full length to be cut to size
Old 05-12-15, 22:39
carrier mech

I can't say that I have ever seen bulk flex radiator hose. What stops it from leaking at the hose clamps?
Old 06-12-15, 11:02

With the helix being on the outside the inside is smooth!! So clamping isn't a problem. Haven't any on my van outside or would take a pic for you. We use a lot of 2" stuff on excavators and plant. If it works on them it will do a carrier!
Old 08-12-15, 10:29
Bluebell

Rob, have you seen the photo in the early carrier thread?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 08-12-15, 10:47
Steve Denby

How great is the offset on these hoses originally? Ive got a truck radiator for my LP Carrier that has outlets that are slightly higher than a proper LP Carrier radiator. I wonder if using hoses like this will solve my issue?
1941 Morris Commercial CS8
Old 08-12-15, 13:54
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Rob, have you seen the photo in the early carrier thread?
Just had a look at it. It certainly shows the degree of angle involved.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0317.jpg  
Old 08-12-15, 18:50
Bluebell

Alex, maybe you can calculate the difference and ask Rob to give you an estimate of the offset from a straight line, when his arrive?
I assume you know that the Ford radiators have 3 different lower spigots? (are there more?)
The straight out the rear, the drop down and then back, and the LP2 type, off the corner (midway between the other two, I assume)
The riveted carrier ones are straight out the back.

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 08-12-15, 18:53
Steve Denby

Yup, I've got one of each type except for the one I need....
1941 Morris Commercial CS8
Old 08-12-15, 20:00
Martin Sedivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Just had a look at it. It certainly shows the degree of angle involved.
This is it.. not original. It is a simple rubber hose pipe. Probably made about 15 years ago when the engine was still running.
Attached Thumbnails
pipe.jpg  
Old 08-12-15, 20:01
carrier mech

I actually have the first hose here now, and waiting for a second one to come through NAPA in the next couple days.

Measuring the one here on my desk, and quickly checking the angles on the engine I have on the stand right now, I would suggest you could easily get a 2" rise out of the hose without putting any un-due stress on the rad inlet. If you were to go for minimum, then I would suggest you could use this hose for as little as a 1/2" rise. I am pretty positive this is going to be the solution for the carrier if a preformed hose is desired.
Old 09-12-15, 03:57

Check for assumptions and variables.

Correct carrier radiator? Correct mounting blocks for the radiator not modified?
Correct mounting angle on the rear sloping tabs and isolator blocks of the radiator frame?
Engine front mounting points under the water pump arms correct with both the metal bracket as well as the composite isolator at the proper height. That isolator often becomes compressed. Compare existing used ones with NOS or new supplied by MAC'S.
Old 09-12-15, 04:49
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. View Post
Check for assumptions and variables.

Correct carrier radiator?
Correct mounting blocks for the radiator not modified?
Correct mounting angle on the rear sloping tabs and isolator blocks of the radiator frame?
Engine front mounting points under the water pump arms correct with both the metal bracket as well as the composite isolator at the proper height. That isolator often becomes compressed. Compare existing used ones with NOS or new supplied by MAC'S. All new.
Michael: Are you saying you think it should be a straight line from the water pump to the carrier rad? FUC-3 shows a preformed hose, and I found a preformed hose on the original carrier engine/rad I have on one of the spare hulls.
Old 09-12-15, 05:14

Hi Rob,
I have no concern that you or anyone else would not consider the variables on a specific project they are actually working on. I know it is not a straight line. I cuss each time I have to remove and replace the lower hose when the engine is in the carrier. I have learned that longer than necessary is not good, and a little heat to make the hose more pliable helps. That angle off the bottom radiator outlet heading into a straight water pump inlet is enough to convince us all the offset hose could be just the ticket.

I was writing from the broader view that we need to exercise caution when looking at images only. The image may be limited to the specific area of the lower rad hose.

I have samples of NOS lower rad hose from the former Levys parts stock. They lack a part number inventory tag or other form of identification to show they came from "the system" within CF Supply Depots before being sold off to Levys. They do not have an offset.

Last edited by Michael R.; 09-12-15 at 18:09.
Old 09-12-15, 05:55
carrier mech

My copy of FUC-03 is at work right now, but the drawing of the cooling system shows a formed hose if I recall correctly.

I could tell a few horror stories about parts and rebuilds we used to get from Levys, but I can tell similar stories for many of the contractors who supply rebuilds for the DND. Worse yet, can you imagine the quality controls involved with parts that corrections canada (Corcan) removes from worn out vehicles and go back into the supply system? I opened a crate yesterday that had one of the nicest condition and identity tags I have ever seen stating the component was serviceable. It obviously was not.
Old 09-12-15, 06:08

No question what was correct at the time the drawing was made before the "B" series C01UC 103402-B was supplied.
Attached Thumbnails
early rad hose 103402.jpg  

Last edited by Michael R.; 09-12-15 at 06:24.
Old 09-12-15, 06:36
carrier mech

I'll check the overall length of the one on the desk. I am thinking it may be a touch short for this application. The NAPA listing says the hose is 147mm, which works out to 5.78 long. The carrier listing shows 8-1/2, meaning the preformed hose may be 2-3/4 short. I guess the true test will be when I go to install it on the carrier.
Old 09-12-15, 10:38
Bluebell

Can the length disparity be offset by the difference between long and short water pumps? (does the short hose work with the long pump?)
I have not checked.

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 16-12-15, 04:34
Dave Good

Well after following this thread I picked up a couple of the 8BA-8286-B hoses from our local ford antique parts store and tried them on the setup I have on my engine test stand as I am just about ready to run up my engine ( I was given a couple of carrier frame rails out of a carrier and I used them to make a test stand to brake in the engines before installing it into the carrier) and its a perfect fit. From the rad to the water pump its around a 1 3/4" drop and the new hoses are around 7" in length and gives around a 1 1/2" onto each end for the clamps.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0031.jpg   DSC_0032.jpg  
Old 16-12-15, 04:47

Dave, can you please indicate the length of the water pump intake for your application?
Old 16-12-15, 04:55
Dave Good

So what do you mean by length of the water pump as far as I know all of the twin pulley / HD pumps are the same length on the outlets.
Old 16-12-15, 05:05

Alright, I believe I got it. If the double pulley pumps all have the same length intake (the male portion pointing towards the bottom of the radiator) they will be the same as shown in your posted image. As such, the 8BA-8286-B series lower radiator hose will fit the factory standard dimension for mounting in the Canadian series of 85hp universal carriers.

The thought of variance creeps back into the scheme of things if someone is running with water pumps that do not have the same length intake.
Attached Thumbnails
short and long inlet water pumps.jpg  

Last edited by Michael R.; 16-12-15 at 05:59.
Old 16-12-15, 06:21
carrier mech

So while the hoses could be an inch or so longer, it looks like this will be a good fit. Success. Anther issue gone.

You would not believe how many photos of preformed hoses I went through on google before coming across these ones, which as it turns out, were not far off the regular Mac's page for this vintage of an engine.
Old 16-12-15, 07:19
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. View Post
Alright, I believe I got it. If the double pulley pumps all have the same length intake (the male portion pointing towards the bottom of the radiator) they will be the same as shown in your posted image. As such, the 8BA-8286-B series lower radiator hose will fit the factory standard dimension for mounting in the Canadian series of 85hp universal carriers.

The thought of variance creeps back into the scheme of things if someone is running with water pumps that do not have the same length intake.

My pump outlet measures about 3 3/4" long from the machined portion of the pump where it bolts to the block to the tip where the hose attaches to it. If it is the single pulley water pump there might be enough length of hose to make it work.
Old 16-12-15, 07:21
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
So while the hoses could be an inch or so longer, it looks like this will be a good fit. Success. Anther issue gone.

You would not believe how many photos of preformed hoses I went through on google before coming across these ones, which as it turns out, were not far off the regular Mac's page for this vintage of an engine.

Yes another replacement part solved
Old 02-02-18, 16:11
carrier mech

Default Finally

I am back to working on the 2VP carrier, and after Lynn had expressed some concern about the length of these hoses on another thread here: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...highlight=hose I was having doubts if these hoses were the solution. Happy to report that they are going to work out just fine. They could be an inch or two longer, but as they are, there is just enough rubber onto the tubes to make the required connections.

In the photo you can also see the results of long term outdoor storage on the floor of the carrier. Hopefully after all this work the unit will store it inside now.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01165.jpg