MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 14-08-16, 20:45

Default Searching for relatives of a Canadian soldier WW II

Hello,
72 years ago, at the beginning of September 1944, Canadian troops liberated my hometown Oudenaarde ( Scheldt river – Province of East-Flanders – Belgium )

At that time a young Canadian soldier was accommodated for a few days with a Belgian family in Oudenaarde. Back in Canada he wrote later a letter of thanks ( last page of that letter in attachment )

Would it please be possible to trace back now the actual family of this French speaking soldier :
- Name = C. A. NADEAU
- Rank = L/Cpl
- Mil number = E28523
- Unit = 3rd Canadian Divisional Signals – 3rd Canadian Infantry Division – 1st Canadian Army (Overseas) – B.W.E.F. (British Expeditionary Force)

Many thanks in advance for your much appreciated help
Friendly regards
Chris

LtCol (ret) De Waele Chris
Huttegem, 81
9700 Oudenaarde
Belgium
Attached Thumbnails
Brief Charlie'  C.A. Nadeau p4.jpg  
Old 05-09-16, 15:48

Hello

I am not very talented with Genealogy and less so with French-Canadian Genealogy.

From Clive Law's excellent book on Canadian Army Regimental Numbers, I can tell you that, according to his number, C.A. Nadeau was enlisted with "K" Section 3rd Div Signals (28501-28600). His Letter, "E", is from Number 5 Military District then in the eastern part of Quebec province. Roughly a North/South line between Montreal and Quebec city bisecting the province.

This may help you search for Nadeaus in Quebec. I am sorry I cannot be of more assistance. I did look for him in the Royal Canadian Legion Last Post online but no joy.

later in September 1944 would be when the Canadians were finishing sorting out the channel ports and bumping up against the Ghent Canal. 3rd Div had captured Boulogne by 22 September and then moved to the North East. Div troops like 3 Sigs would be a bit back of that line so your town makes sense as a billet.Oudenaarde is in a beautiful area of Belgium. This time of year would be very nice. I lived in Hainaut for a number of years some time ago.

Good luck.

regards
Darrell
Old 09-09-16, 21:06

Many thanks Darrell.
I got previously a reaction from Michael Williams from Carlisle, Ontario who is now checking Canadian military service records at the Library and Archives Canada. The aim being of course trying to restrict the search for Nadeau relatives. There are several hundreds of them in Eastern Canada !

Again thanks for your reply
LtCol (ret) De Waele Chris BE Army