MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events > COROWA - THE EVENT

Notices

Old 04-09-07, 06:47
Blitzed

Default Corowa accommodation

G'day all,
Well 2008 will be my first year of Corowa. And it seems the place to be is Ball Park Caravan Park. But reading the Proposal thread tells us that next year will be different with the airport featuring strongly. So my question is where else in Corowa can you expect to find welcoming accommodation? I ask this not only for myself but for the countless others that may visit these pages too, wanting info on their visit/holiday.
Are there other motels etc that people have experience with that are close to both locations?
And it depends on what length of stay you are after, but, what do people suggest is the best day to arrive and stay until?

As for me. After Corowa, I'd like to drive across to Canberra and visit the War Memorial. I haven't been there since I was a kid (I'm now 33).

Thanks to all in advance.
Ryan.
Old 04-09-07, 09:35
www.REMLR.com

I stayed at the caravan park this year, but a couple in our group stayed at a nice motel, I just can't remember which one it was
Old 04-09-07, 10:43

Default Accommodation

Ryan, I know many people who have not stayed at the Van Park for years and still enjoy Corowa. You can be pretty well assured that anywhere you stay at Corowa will have people from around the country who are there for the MV rally. Having said that, you will obviously venture into the Van Park a few times.
This year will include the Airfield as an additional area for campers, but be aware that obviously there will be no ön-site"vans to rent out.
Silly to state but I have already been asked if there was van accomm at the Airport.
If you decide to stay out there, it will be in tentage, or BYO van.
Me, I'll have a tarp off the side of the truck..........
Basically, there are no definate places to stay. It is like all these things, where ever you stay, you make your own fun, meet old (and new) friends, kick back and enjoy the time that is "Corowa".
Check the web or the yellow pages for a locality guide featuring accom.
And don't forget to visit the Army Museum Bandiana on your way to the AWM.
Old 04-09-07, 11:25
RIP

Hi Ryan
Ada & I always stay in a motel so we have both the creature comforts at night and a base for Ada during the day. Every year our accommodation gets cheaper and the motel we use is really nice. Ada is on a work field trip at the moment, but when she gets back I'll get the details of where we will be staying. I still live down the park every day, you have to in order to investigate every new vehicle in case there is a bargain to be had.
Bob
Old 04-09-07, 15:36
Corowa Project 30

For anyone who is looking for accommodation the best thing to do is Contact the Corowa Tourist Information Centre and they will do a search for you. Otherwise you could end up phoning a number of motels and find they are already booked out. The phone number is 02 60333221 or email corinfo3@dragnet.com.au
Apparently the Royal Hotel is cheap and a good place to stay. Walking distance from Ball Park.
Research & Development
THE COROWA YEAR 30 PROJECT
Old 13-09-07, 13:44
RIP

Default Our Accommodation

Hi Ryan
As promised, details of where we have stayed for the last couple of years. Golfers Retreat Motel at 57 Hay Street. Contact number is 02 6033 2059. We'll be there again this year.
Bob
Old 16-12-08, 03:41
Blitzed

Default accommodation

Have secured a powered site at Ball Park Caravan Park for 09 but for those that LOVE Corowa how about this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Cabin-2-Bedro...3A1|240%3A1318

A Permanent HQ.
Old 10-02-08, 22:51
www.REMLR.com

Default Who is going to corowa this year?

Ok, so who is going to corowa this year and where are you staying (ie where in the caravan park or airport?) ??? and what are you driving??

I'll be with teh small tassi contingent on the corner near the registration tent again this year, landy parked and Defence Transport Heritage of Tas sign proudly displayed.

how about everybody else??
Old 11-02-08, 04:56
WO8 C15A 142736

I'll be there Friday - Sunday with two sons. Driving a Toyota Torago so not verry military. I just want to meet as many people as I can and get ready for next year. Staying in Albury and comuting this year, I will have to be more organised next year.
Old 11-02-08, 08:48
Blitzed

Default I'll be there

Raylene and I will be attending Corowa for the first time. Staying thursday through to sunday at the Statesman Motel. I believe this is a good midway point between Ball park and the airport. Also non military, most likely will be in a Ford Falcon.
Old 11-02-08, 10:43

Default Corowa

As most people know, the Museum is planning on attending Corowa this year. The staff will be staying at the Airfield in vans etc.
As far as entries are concerned I can announce that transport and the Head Quarters willing, we are planning on bringing a Leopard, M113 and another little tid bit that people will definately find rather interesting.

It's not what you know
It's not who you know
It's what you know about who..
Old 11-02-08, 12:22
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Unfortunately, Jif will NOT be attending this year due to a variety of circumstances, but has every intention of coming down for the 30th anniversary show in March '09... while I regret this one-year lapse in attendance, it is to my advantage so I'm not whinging TOO much! I look forward to seeing you all in a year.
Old 12-02-08, 00:10
www.REMLR.com

So just a small army contingent then Ian. Somehow I think you will be hard to beat for largest tonnage brought my one person / group!!
Old 22-02-08, 23:14

Default Any Canucks heading down?

Anyone from Canada going this year? If so, mail me...
Old 24-02-08, 00:03
Corowa Project 30

Just 2 weeks to go now so I have the latest program of events for you all. If you haven't sent your entry in please contact me and I will send you an entry form.

29th Annual GPA Swim-In & Ex-Military Vehicle Rally
Programme of activities:
Monday 10th March: No set activities.

Tuesday 11th March:
• 10.00am onwards: View the Bandiana Army Museum and the 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Museum

Wednesday 12th March:
• 10.00am to 12.00pm: Display of Vehicles for the elderly at Karinya Apartments, Guy St Corowa
• 10.00am onwards: View the Bandiana Army Museum and 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Museum
• 8.30pm: Talk by Lang & Bev Kidby on Fiat 500 – Around the world expedition

Thursday 13th March:
• 9.00am: Armoured Vehicle rally departing from Corowa Airport
• Movie evening at Ball Park Caravan Park

Friday 14th March:
• 8.30am: Leave for Yackandanda. At 10.00am a talk will be given on the history of the area. After having lunch and a look around the town we will plan to arrive at El Dorado at 1.30pm where we will be able to look at the Museum and Historic Dredge.
• 6.00pm: Compulsory Driver’s Briefing at the Information Caravan at Ball Park Caravan Park.
• 8.30pm:Talk on Armoured Vehicles and Tanks by Major Paul Handel at Corowa Airport

Saturday 15th March:
• 7.30am: Armoured Vehicles to leave Corowa Airport in convoy and line up at the entrance to Ball Park Caravan Park.
• 8.00am: Line up under the bridge for the Parade out to the airport. The tanks will be in the first packet of vehicles followed with a 5 minute gap by the Carriers and the third packet will consist of all other vehicles and will leave 5 minutes after the Carrier packet
• 8.30am: Final Compulsory Drivers Briefing at the start of the parade.

• 9.00am sharp: Parade departs Ball Park for Corowa Airport. You will be shown where to park your vehicles upon your arrival at the Corowa Airport.

• 9.45am: Swap Meet at the Airport run by the Corowa Rotary Club with a sausage sizzle lunch. Cost $5 per stall holder. Buyers/lookers free. Stall holders will be admitted after 8am into the airport grounds.

• 12.30pm: All members of MLU Forum (Maple Leaf Up Forum) to meet for a group photo in front of the vehicle display at Corowa Airport.

• Afternoon - vehicle activities.

• 7.00pm: Presentations and Auction at the BBQ area near the oval.

Donations for the Auction would be appreciated.

Sunday 16th March:
• Vehicle activities throughout the day and farewell to new and old friends.
• 8.00pm: Wind down 3 course Carvery Meal at the Corowa RSL Club, 30 Betterment Pde Corowa. $17.00 for Adults $8.50 for children under the age of 12. [Put your name on the list at the Site Office if you would like to attend.]

It should be another big year.

If anyone has photos, slides, video or reports on Corowa since 1980 Keith Webb and I would like to speak with you at Corowa. If you can bring along what you have got. There have been some great contributions so far and you will be able to see some of these on the Notice Board near the Site Office Caravan.
Research & Development
Old 10-03-08, 02:43

I will be attending this year and for the first time entering my newly restored Strickland Bren Tractor. Will be staying at the airfield arriving there late Friday night and unfortunately will have to leave Sat after lunchtime. Will try and meet as many people as possible to say G'day.
Old 24-02-08, 22:49

Default Canada & Corowa 2009

PROPOSAL

This is something I've had in mind for a little while and which I broached up in Ottawa last weekend, receiving some interest.

In March 2009 - exact dates yet to be announced - KVE Inc will be hosting the 30th Anniversary edition of the Annual Corowa Swim-In, to take place at Corowa, NSW, Australia.

This show will also be Year of the Blitz II, which means more CMPs than you can shake a stick at! Plus all of the Ozian weirdos who hang around here for whatever ungodly reason, and way too many more...

This show has been covered here before of course, and you all know I was there for '07. It is the largest military vehicle exposition in the southern hemisphere and is truly a credit to all involved, whether they're organisers or participants. The show lasts for one week.

What I propose is this: that starting now, I put together a package which allows Canadians and Americans to get down there en masse, probably for a period of not less than three weeks. We would fly out of North America to leave enough time to get acclimatised to the Australian climate and way of life before moving down to Corowa as a group for the duration of the show.

At the conclusion of the show, the thinking at present is that participants might go their own ways throughout the continent, meeting back up a few days before the scheduled departure to compare notes and get organised for our return to the Real World.

I'm proposing that we organise under the MLU banner in order to get a good group rate. All associated arrangements would be handled through me. I presume you might want to take your wives with you, so I'm thinking double for any interested party - and the more we get the cheaper it will be.

All of this will have to be set up sooner rather than later, so what I want from you now is a tentative vote of interest. Talk about it with She Who Can't Be Argued With and see what you can come up with... but I'll need at least a passing commitment within the next one to two months. Once arrangements are being solidified, a substantial deposit will be required.

As things start to come together I'll make a big splash with this.

INCIDENTLY... it occurs to me as well that time timing might be right for our Yurrupeen counterparts to start thinking of the same thing, again under the MLU banner. We could have quite the delightedly disruptive impact upon Corowa, to make it a Show To Remember... how about it?

This is the first step - talk to your Household Six and start dreaming... hot weather, Australian beer and CMPs! Let us know here what you think.

Thanks,

Geoff

PS: Forget about going out with Lara Bingle - she's spoken for...
Old 24-02-08, 23:56
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Ozian weirdos

Hey! I resemble that!

Seriously though what an excellent idea - I'm sure we'd all love to catch up with our mates from OS - we could also arrange some pertinent side trips to various museums - I'm thinking of places like Bandiana and Puckapunyal Army museums to start, then of course we could plan to take in a Temora Aviation Museum airshow too - there will probably be one around the week after the Corowa event.

Go for it, Jif & Co.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 25-02-08, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Hey! I resemble that!

Seriously though what an excellent idea - I'm sure we'd all love to catch up with our mates from OS - we could also arrange some pertinent side trips to various museums - I'm thinking of places like Bandiana and Puckapunyal Army museums to start, then of course we could plan to take in a Temora Aviation Museum airshow too - there will probably be one around the week after the Corowa event.

Go for it, Jif & Co.
Except that I think they might need special permits to talk to the likes of you and Ian and so on... and of course we'd have to arrange a special briefing we might tentatively entitle "How to Avoid Salesman Bob" or "Evading the Infamous South Australian Border Raiders"... anyway, I'm sure with preparation this can all be worked out.

Old 25-02-08, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Hey! I resemble that!
Keefy, it occurs to me that in no way, shape or form do you actually resemble my Lara, so give it up while you're ahead!

Sorry mate, have one on me...

Old 25-02-08, 04:29
James Plush

Jif you have set your sights a bit low if you going for Lara. maybe you should up the ante and try for a something better like Sarah-Jane King [Chiko Roll girl ] or Elle Mcpherson etc ,etc .
Old 25-02-08, 10:36
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Thumbs up Visitors

Excellent idea, Jiffy!
I'll help where possible in any way I can! Bring it ON!
HH
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 25-02-08, 10:39
Corowa Project 30

The event in 2009 will commence on Monday 9th March and will finish on Sunday 15th March. It will be the 30th Year of the event and the 29th Anniversary. It will definitely be a big year and the themes will be 'Year of the Amphibian' and 'Year of he Blitz 2'.

History of the GPA Swim-In and Military Vehicle Rally

Annually a group of ex-Military Vehicle Collectors gather at Ball Park Caravan Park at Corowa on the beautiful Murray River to display their lovingly restored military vehicles, conduct a parade, swap meet and have a ‘swim-in’ with amphibious vehicles.

The event was initially organised by Ian Grieve [Qld] and Alan Newton [SA] and was for Amphibious Jeeps [Ford Model G.P.A. ¼ -Ton 4X4 Amphibian] but with so much interest amongst military vehicle enthusiasts it became a large-scale gathering not only with GPA’s but also other historic military vehicles.

People have asked “Why was Corowa chosen as the venue of this event?” Corowa, on the Murray River, just west of Albury is a fairly central location. It has fresh water, with easy river access and is an historic town. The collectors enjoy the wrecking yards and disposal stores in Albury and Wodonga. There are a variety of shops, wineries and antique shops to make this a family orientated event. The townsfolk of Corowa have always welcomed our presence and we look forward to returning each year to enjoy their hospitality and support.

The event now attracts collectors from throughout Australia and the world.

In 1999 we achieved recognition by the Guinness Book of World Records for “the largest gathering of Ford GPA amphibious vehicles since the Second World War”. This number being 16 including the famous Amphibious Jeep “Half-Safe” which circumnavigated the world during the 1950’s and has been donated to the Guildford Grammar School in Perth. In March 2002 we achieved recognition by the Guinness Book of World Records for “the greatest gathering of privately owned Ford and Chev Blitz trucks since 1945”. In 2003 the theme was to get as many WW2 Studebaker trucks together. We had 21. In 2004 the Theme was ‘Year of the Dodge’. We had 34 Dodge’s and a total of 120 ex-military vehicles in attendance. In 2005 our theme was WW2 Pattern Carriers. We had 21 Carriers. The theme for 2006 was Armoured Cars and we had a variety of rare types of vehicles.
In 2007 the themes were Year of the Cycle and Year of the Staff Car. The total number of vehicles was 166. We had a number of vehicles in each theme category and we were really impressed with the large number of motor cycles.

You are guaranteed to have a great time.
Research & Development
Old 26-02-08, 18:19
Derek Heuring

[QUOTE=Geoff Winnington-Ball
We would fly out of North America to leave enough time to get acclimatised to the Australian climate and way of life before moving down to Corowa as a group for the duration of the show.
[/QUOTE]

Why, is it cold in Australia in March? Would I need to bring to bring a jacket? Sorry, I'm being facetious Jefe, we hit 88 yesterday in Texas.

Hmmm. Y'know, a trip to Oz sounds pretty darn good. My wife has always wanted to visit Australia so I know I'd have her support. I have been in the planning stage for a trip to Normandy in June of 2009 which is in conflict with participating in other events/family plans. My wife wants us to take our boy to Europe as a graduation gift in the Spring of 2010 and I've been asked to volunteer with support and logistics for the recreation of the 1919 Transcontinental Convoy from Washington D.C. to San Francisco. It's not too late to change my plans. Let me talk to the War Department and see what she thinks. Derek.
Old 05-04-08, 07:44
Corowa Project 30

Default Corowa 2009 -'Year of the Amphibian & Year of the Blitz 2'

Corowa 2008 - Year of the Tracked Vehicle was a huge success. It was an impressive turn out of vehicles and people. In 2009 we are celebrating 30 Years of the GPA Swim-In and Ex-Military Vehicle Rally. It is anticipated that this event will be the largest gathering of vehicles and people associated with Military Vehicles in Australia. At this stage it is difficult to predict numbers however over 200 vehicles are expected. Camping will be available at Ball Park Caravan Park and Corowa Airport. There will be more toilets and showers at the Airport if Tabitha and Tim have more idea of expected numbers of people attending. It is important that you prebook your accommodation as it is becoming more difficult each year to obtain motels, cabins and powered sites. If you decide to attend at the last minute then the Corowa Tourist Information Centre has a list of accomodation that is still available that week.

The KVE Committee and members are now focused on the 2009 event and participants have already started entering their vehicles. Let us know your thoughts and ask any questions either on this forum or via PM's or emails to people on our Committee.
President: Ian Pullen
Vice President: Hugh Davis
Secretary: Jan Thompson
Treasurer: Maureen Bell
Committee members: Barbara Thompson, Euan McDonald & Alex McPherson

The Committee would like to ask people to preregister as early as possible. This enables us to get more of an idea of the expected number of vehicles and people. The town of Corowa is celebrating 150 years next year and they would like to assist us more in 2009. We are currently looking at the program of events and our next meeting will be at Corowa in July. Representatives from the town are now looking at what they would like to do for our event.

We are looking for participants who would like to assist with the organisation of the event in the future. If you are able to help us please let us know. In the past at Corowa we have had offers of help for marshalling the parade, helping at the site office, leading a trip to a nearby town, selling raffle tickets etc. We appreciate those people who are now offering to assist with design, printing, promotion etc. There is a lot of work that has to be done between now and March 2009. If you have any talent or interest please let us know. Help share the load. As the event gets closer we may ask for people to help with particular areas of the event. We will post it on this thread and hope we are inundated with replies.

It looks like there has been some interest from people overseas. If you are planning to come let us know. There are people all over Australia who would like to see you have a great time. You may want accommodation in a particular area prior to or after the event. There are many people on the Forum from all parts of the country that may like to assist you in your travels. They may also have a vehicle that you could drive to the event.

We will announce our program on here and on the website www.corowaswim-in.org

Looking forward to receiving your preregistration forms along with your opinions and plans for Corowa 2009.
Research & Development

Last edited by Jan Thompson; 05-04-08 at 07:50.
Old 07-04-08, 10:39

Default Corowa 09

Ladies and Gentlemen, on behalf of the committee and myself I would like to thank ALL who attended Corowa this year and especially those who assisted in any way. It was fantastic having the assistance of club members actively participting in the administration and logistics of the largest event of this type held in the country. Again thanks.

I ask if there is anyone who is prepared assist the committee by donating a small amount of time helping us to make this event happen for you, please let Jan know as soon as possible. She can let you know what jobs we need help with and what times may fit in with you.

As Jan has stated in her post, the 09 event will be even bigger. I strongly suggest that a quick 5 minute call to either Tabitha at the Corowa Jump Shak or the crew at the Van Park (or where ever you plan on staying) now will save a bit of personal angst in the weeks before the event. As stated, the 30th year of this event will be rather large to say the least. We are expecting 200 entries. Place on that an average of 3 people per vehicle entry and that equates to a lot of people wanting accommodation. Remember, this year co-incides with the 150 celebrations for the town so accommodation is expected to be at a premium.

Please book early, and if you are going to spend 5 minutes on the phone to places in Corowa looking for somewhere to stay, you may as well spend an extra 5 minutes filling out your entry & sending it to Jan.

Get it over with....

There will probably be a few changes again this coming year. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the roads and entry into the Van Park where we normally start, may not exist next year. Do not get wrapped around the axles with this. Let the committee sort it out. We have plans already under way in case this eventuates.

For those who have already registered for next year, (& there are some), thank you.

For those interested, we already have a number of armoured vehicles attending next year in addition to some (other) rather interesting entries. You will just have to come and see for yourselves.

For those who are planning on setting up a stall for the swapmeet, I suggest you bring a folding gazebo or beach umbrella. Hopefully the heat won't be so extreme next year or it may do something to our visiting Canucks........

In summary, there will be even more going on next year. Therefore I suggest that ten minutes now sorting out accommodation and sending off your entry, will save a lot of time closer to the actual event.

It's not what you know
It's not who you know
It's what you know about who..

Last edited by Ian Pullen; 07-04-08 at 10:47.
Old 11-04-08, 11:15
Mark

Default The Airport Site Sucks for Families

Yes that was rather blunt but that’s how I feel about the place when it comes to supporting the swap meet and camping. If we want this event and the military vehicle preservation movement to grow we need the support of our wives and children who will become the next generation of collectors. Lets make this event more than just men and their toys.

Bamarang park offers a playground, grass underfoot and shelter from the sun it also allows partners who are less than smitten with your shopping activity to walk back to camp or up to the shops. This is a much more family oriented venue, in years past Corowa locals also used to wander thru the vehicles parked over the road for a looksee.

The airport has none of these facilities; stalls were set up on gravel roadways were a number of cars drove thru the crowd why was the area not sealed off? cars and shoppers don’t mix.

I can fully understand the need for using the airport to support the tracked vehicles it would also make a great parking bay for those that bring prime movers to support there kit. BUT why split the event to two locations if there is no heavy tracked stuff or a big increase in numbers?

There are two types of people who attend Corowa, those who attend every year and those that turn every few years. The regulars all camp on their little patch of turf with a vehicle of choice others are influenced by the Year of Theme; but after attending for the last 8 years growth has been steady but not exponential . I have read that we will have 200 attend next year but this is just an estimate and I can see no metrics presented that leads to this conclusion.

In summary Ball park can probably accommodate a lot more, I have never booked and always got a site, in fact unless it’s a Cabin you want the manager advises just turn up. With a little thoughtfulness by attendee’s, prime movers and support trailers could be parked at the airport freeing a large amount of grassed areas.

Lets keep the event together at Ball Park but have contingency in place in case of an overflow.

Last edited by Rusty; 11-04-08 at 12:10.
Old 09-03-08, 03:56

yeah am definatly going to be there. will be bringing up a strickland bren-tractor on a tilt tray
will arrive late friday night and leave saturday arvo staying at the airport if the gates are still open when we arrive.
i only have a limited time unfortunatly but will try to say gday to as many people as possible.
Old 09-03-08, 07:08
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Bren tractor

Looking forward to catching up and also seeing the bren tractor. Hope you have time for a quick interview!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 14-12-08, 22:23
Blitzed

Default Corowa 2009 to a wider audience

Hi all,
Does anybody watch Classic Restos' or Cruizin' on Channel 31 here in Victoria? The Channel number may be different in other states. Seeing as their shows are dedicated to restored vehicles and vehicle events I was thinking they may be interested in covering Corowa 2009. It would be a way to get the Swim-in event to a wider audience.
I don't have their contact details, it was just a thought I had as I got up this morning.