MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 15-02-10, 17:11
Greg Wright

Default 1986 Chevrolet Ambulance up for auction

There is a 1986 Chevrolet Ambulance up for auction in Toronto.
It is from DND London.
The web site is www.icangroup.ca and click on the button for Toronto.
It appears to be in good shape.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 15-02-10, 23:32

Default link

Here is a direct link, I hope it works.

http://www.vortexauction.com/Auction...t:DoNothing();
Old 21-02-10, 17:43
Kostas

Only six days left!

Click image for larger version

Name:	CHEVRO D30 MILITARY POSTA 1986_Toronto_27-02-2010a.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	33559Click image for larger version

Name:	CHEVRO D30 MILITARY POSTA 1986_Toronto_27-02-2010b.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	33560Click image for larger version

Name:	CHEVRO D30 MILITARY POSTA 1986_Toronto_27-02-2010c.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	33561Click image for larger version

Name:	CHEVRO D30 MILITARY POSTA 1986_Toronto_27-02-2010d.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	33562Name:  CHEVRO D30 MILITARY POSTA 1986_Toronto_27-02-2010e.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  13.2 KB
Old 22-02-10, 00:12

Wilf Alexander and I are going to slip in to the big smoke and check it out on one of the viewing days this week. My only problem is that on the day of the auction I have to take Janet to the airport for her 2 week holiday in Florida. For 2 weeks, no cook.
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 22-02-10, 02:25
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Churcher View Post
Wilf Alexander and I are going to slip in to the big smoke and check it out on one of the viewing days this week. My only problem is that on the day of the auction I have to take Janet to the airport for her 2 week holiday in Florida. For 2 weeks, no cook.
Barry
...s'alright Barry, you can afford to diet for a couple of weeks...
Old 27-02-10, 03:08

Wilf and I made the trek up to Innisfil yesterday to check out the truck. There was a raging blizzard so it wasn't a pleasant experience. It was midnight by the time I got home and there was so much snow I couldn't get in my driveway.
Anyway the truck looks better in the photos but it still isn't too bad. It doesn't run of course, drivers door bad, inner fenders rotten, exhaust rotten,
and so on. The ambulance body is pretty good except for the crunched rear step and the truck is pretty complete but rust in the usual places.
Cheers,
Barry

Old 27-02-10, 04:07
Gilles Chartrand

Does anyone know what it sold for???? Gilles
Old 27-02-10, 13:52

Gilles, I signed up for the on line bidding which is this morning at 9:00. My internet is only one step ahead of carrier pigeon so I don't know if the bidding will work or not. I will try to let you know what it sells for if possible.
Cheers,
Barry

Old 01-03-10, 03:17

It sold for $2900.

Matthew
Old 01-03-10, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewq4b View Post
It sold for $2900.
Sounds like pretty tall money to me based on Barry's observations, but I'm just a newb, so what do I know?
Old 01-03-10, 22:20

Default But look at what we pay for a CMP

Yes sounds like tall money, but just tell a modern MV collector what we pay for CMPs and then how much money and TIME we send on restoring them and they think we're the crazy ones.

Cheers
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 02-03-10, 02:21
Wilf Alexander

well, Barry...there ya go...it sold for ALOT more than the $10 you told me your ceiling bid was...W
1985 M1008
Old 02-03-10, 02:35

Wilf, between you and Geoff I got a couple of good chuckles on this thread.

Barry

Old 02-03-10, 03:07
Gilles Chartrand

For the condition it was expensive and no registration. Be it CMP or MLVW, Iltis Willys jeep, we have an excuse its called addiction to green mean army machines.
Old 02-03-10, 04:03
Mr. HUP

Default Hallelu, Hallelujah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Yes sounds like tall money, but just tell a modern MV collector what we pay for CMPs and then how much money and TIME we send on restoring them and they think we're the crazy ones.
Cheers
Phil, I agree with most of your post except with the use of the word "think". I would have used the word "know". Again, you don't have to be crazy to be in this hobby, but time has proven that it surely helps...gotta go, there's a HUP in Manitoba that needs rescuing...
Old 02-03-10, 07:01

Default Ontario invasion!

RHClarke,
You Ontario guys aren't sneaking over the border at night and scooping up all of our nice Manitoba CMP's are you?LOL!
Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 02-03-10, 14:50
Mr. HUP

Default Border Raids

Quote:
Originally Posted by derk derin View Post
RHClarke, You Ontario guys aren't sneaking over the border at night and scooping up all of our nice Manitoba CMP's are you?LOL! Derk.
Derk, Not all - just a HUP. In any case, we would give fair notice of any upcoming raids - mostly so we could meet, sit down and chat about "rules of engagement" over a few beer.

I figure that you Manitoba CMPers have had 12 plus years to save a particular HUP, so maybe it is time for a new approach. My spy (a resident -not named Mark) will be checking out the HUP this summer...so you still have some time.

Ultimately, it is about saving the truck, so no matter who gets it, we all win in the end.
Old 02-03-10, 18:42

Default Saving a CMP

RHClarke,
Agreed,The HUP should go to a good home where it will see a proper restoration.It is not a fact of nobody wanting to buy it and restore it here,there are many of us that want the truck,it is the fact that the farmer never wanted to sell the truck to anyone.I wish you luck and if you are in Manitoba,definitely would want to meet up and share some CMP stories over a few beverages!Til then,
Cheers,Derk.
Old 02-03-10, 19:58
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Derk, Not all - just a HUP. In any case, we would give fair notice of any upcoming raids - mostly so we could meet, sit down and chat about "rules of engagement" over a few beer.

I figure that you Manitoba CMPers have had 12 plus years to save a particular HUP, so maybe it is time for a new approach. My spy (a resident -not named Mark) will be checking out the HUP this summer...so you still have some time.

Ultimately, it is about saving the truck, so no matter who gets it, we all win in the end.
Hey Derk.

Apparently RHClarke is unfamiliar with the Prairie command by laws regarding such incursions from non-residents into Prairie command territories. The territory includes a territorial shelf into the unwanted (by Ontario) Northern Ontario, and also includes Manitoba, all of Saskatchewan and any vehicles currently unclaimed in Alberta. For purposes of the Prairie Command mapping division, the Northern Ontario claim extends from the Manitoba border to the Western edge of the Ontario town of Marathon, Ontario.

While incursions by non-residents into this territory are possible, they must first apply to the Prairie Command "non-resident cultural theft" committee for thorough study and prior approval (which is rarely to never granted) before even viewing photographs of any military pattern vehicle located within our claimed territories.

If the truck that Mr. Clarke has his desires on is the truck that we think he is talking about, that truck is specifically listed in the "not for export" list. Collaborator Mark will have to be dealt harshly with at the local level for passing on MD10 cultural secrets.
Old 02-03-10, 21:51
Mr. HUP

Default Whoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Hey Derk.
Apparently RHClarke is unfamiliar with the Prairie command by laws regarding such incursions from non-residents into Prairie command territories. The territory includes a territorial shelf into the unwanted (by Ontario) Northern Ontario, and also includes Manitoba, all of Saskatchewan and any vehicles currently unclaimed in Alberta. For purposes of the Prairie Command mapping division, the Northern Ontario claim extends from the Manitoba border to the Western edge of the Ontario town of Marathon, Ontario.
While incursions by non-residents into this territory are possible, they must first apply to the Prairie Command "non-resident cultural theft" committee for thorough study and prior approval (which is rarely to never granted) before even viewing photographs of any military pattern vehicle located within our claimed territories. If the truck that Mr. Clarke has his desires on is the truck that we think he is talking about, that truck is specifically listed in the "not for export" list. Collaborator Mark will have to be dealt harshly with at the local level for passing on MD10 cultural secrets.
Had I known...Oh, well it looks like I stepped into it big time. I searched the internet for the application form, but found nothing resembling the aforementioned procedure. I think they are trying to make this a difficult evolution, but having worked in Quebec as an Ontario resident, it shouldn't be too hard for me to meet any challenges posed by the Prairedog Commandos...

Just for the record, my spy and collaborator is my lil bro who lives in the Republic of Manitobah...I hope Mark escaped the tar and feathers...
Old 02-03-10, 21:54
RIP

Quote:
I hope Mark escaped the tar and feathers...
Tar and feather him anyways - it will make up for the times he got away with things that we still don't know about.
Old 02-03-10, 22:14
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Tar and feather him anyways - it will make up for the times he got away with things that we still don't know about.
Consider it done.
Old 02-03-10, 22:27
carrier mech

Quote:
Had I known...Oh, well it looks like I stepped into it big time. I searched the internet for the application form, but found nothing resembling the aforementioned procedure. I think they are trying to make this a difficult evolution, but having worked in Quebec as an Ontario resident, it shouldn't be too hard for me to meet any challenges posed by the Prairedog Commandos...

Just for the record, my spy and collaborator is my lil bro who lives in the Republic of Manitobah...I hope Mark escaped the tar and feathers...
The application for such a vandalism on Prairie Command potential assets is actually well outlined in the double secret sub-constitution.

The applications for "non-resident cultural theft" are only handed out at the scheduled meetings of that particular committee. Meetings take place on every 29th day of Feb at the end of each applicable millenium. The applicant's request is made, and the decision is rendered at the next scheduled meeting of aforementioned committee. The applicant must be present at both meetings.

While your "brother", if he does in fact exist, and is a natural born resident of Manitoba, would have a valid claim on such a truck, he still cannot export it without the approval of the prairie command.

Prairie command is incorporated in Manitoba as a non-profit group, and as such, our bylaws are accepted by the Manitoba government and would have to be duly enforced.
Old 02-03-10, 23:24
Mr. HUP

Default I "love" a challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
The application for such a vandalism on Prairie Command potential assets is actually well outlined in the double secret sub-constitution. The applications for "non-resident cultural theft" are only handed out at the scheduled meetings of that particular committee. Meetings take place on every 29th day of Feb at the end of each applicable millenium. The applicant's request is made, and the decision is rendered at the next scheduled meeting of aforementioned committee. The applicant must be present at both meetings. While your "brother", if he does in fact exist, and is a natural born resident of Manitoba, would have a valid claim on such a truck, he still cannot export it without the approval of the prairie command.
Prairie command is incorporated in Manitoba as a non-profit group, and as such, our bylaws are accepted by the Manitoba government and would have to be duly enforced.
Holy crap! And I thought bureaucracy in la belle province was tough. I just checked my daytimer and it looks like I will be very busy next February 29th stoking the flames of hell, or if I repent at the last moment, putting up with my ex wife and ex girlfriends in purgatory...which seems an easier go than meeting all of the PC guidelines.

OK, you westerners are off the hook - for now. But beware, I have been studying the habits of the rare Ontario "McQuinty" and have been emboldened by its cunning...

As for my little brother, he is real, but alas, he too is of Maritime stock, a real herring choker. So it looks like we ran out of options...perhaps...(even though I dislike them, I added one for emphasis)
Old 03-03-10, 06:31

Default R.i.p.

I will miss Mark,he was a nice guy.I hope he forgives me for opening pandoras box on him!
Sincerely,Derk
Old 07-03-10, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpns 421 View Post
For the condition it was expensive and no registration. Be it CMP or MLVW, Iltis Willys jeep, we have an excuse its called addiction to green mean army machines.
Yup it was more than "I" wanted to pay for it. Yes I was the guy that paid too much for it.

But I have wanted a Canadian CUCV M1010 for a while now and this by far the cheapest I would have been able to get one. The no registration thing is no issue for me being in Alberta. Just present bill of sale and an out of province inspection and it's registered.

The Unit was a non runner but upon close examination before the auction it had been running not too long previously before being surplused off. For an Ontario truck of that age it is in decent shape you got to remember it is now 24 years old.

Here is the condition the unit is in.

The cab is solid except for a dime sized hole in each cab corner. The cabs on these trucks usually rust out all around the windshield but this one is as solid as the day it was built.
The front Fenders are useable but will most likely be replaced with new ones.
The Drivers door is salvageable with some cutting and welding. But it will be replaced with a new one.
The passenger door has a big oil can dent that could be removed. But it likely will be replaced with new as well.
The inner fenders are rotted but all GM trucks of in that body style and age have the inner fenders rotted even western trucks.
The hood has the typical GM crack in the center of it, it will be replaced with a new one that has the extra strengthening in this area..
The cab roof has dents from guys standing on it servicing the Van body AC unit. But they will pull out. And I'm not too concerned with them any how.

The Dash is completly grenaded and degraded and that will most likely be one of the biggest cost items to replace at about $400. If I can not find a good used one.

The exhaust is complexly shot and will need full replacement but that is to be expected on a 24 year old truck and the fact it was a diesel only compounded the issue since it spent most of its life pre ULSD. Also when I replace it will be up sized to 2.5" for its full length for engine better breathing

The truck was deployed over seas as it has UN White paint under several layer of Green CARC.

It does has a rather unique in the field DND repair, the drivers door handle push button has been replaced with a hand carved wood replacement. That is going to stay on the truck.

Fortunately replacement panels for this series of GM/Chev trucks are dirt cheap.
I will be able to replace the fenders, the doors, inner fenders, Cab corners, and the hood with brand new panels for less than $1000. Replacement Cab Corners are all of $20 a side inner fenders $50 each....well you get the idea.

The Van body is in perfect condition other than multiple layers of CARC paint. And the missing jerry can holder off the back, that was stashed away in one of the lower storage cabinets
The only issues with the van body. The siren is seized and the mounting bracket for the light and siren will need some metal replaced. Structurally it is perfect with no perforation, corrosion, rip tears or dents.

The truck chassis has the typical GM Electrical bugaboo’s the Front left marker light has a bad ground or bad connection some where but the signals worked fine. Far less electrical problems than most of the GM/Chev trucks of this age on road. Mechanically the truck is perfect and needs nothing.

The DND modded the charging system and removed the twin alternators and replaced them with a single large dual voltage (12v & 24V) output alternator. A much better set up in my opinion. The under hood wiring will need sorted and cleaned up though.

After winning the auction I went and grabbed 2 new batteries dropped them in and the unit fired right up on the fist crank.
The AC for the Van body works as did the Heater for the back other than a bad exhaust connection.
It even had a full tank of fuel in it that got some diesel treatment since I had no idea how old it was. After going through the truck to make sure it was road worthy. Brakes steering Lights etc. I phoned my insurance agent had her fax a temp pink card out to me threw my plate on it and off I went..
Before I drove it any distance I had the engine oil changed and the Exhaust scab patched.

I drove it back from the auction to Edmonton, with no issues other than being limited to 90- 100Kph due to the low gearing, further compounded by under sized tires.
The gearing will get changed from the low 4.56's to a more streetable 3:73
The engine did not use a drop of oil and the drive line worked as good as new.

The truck drives like a brand new truck (what do ya expect with only 32K Km) and I had not one problem making the 2200 mile drive back to Alberta. In fact it drove and rode almost as good as my Excursion. And being a 6.2L diesel fuel mileage was pretty damn good (about 15MPG) considering the low gears

The Van body on the M1010 is of solid aluminum construction, the only steel in the van body is the upper stretcher support racking. There is far more value in scrap aluminum in the van body than what I paid for the truck.

The Truck is now in storage at the acreage for the interim. And when i'm done messing with my iltises then it will get a full body off restoration.

This will be a very easy restoration that will not break the bank due to the low cost of replacement parts for this series of GM/Chev trucks Plus I can get bits and pieces from the local U-Pull it yard. I could do 3 of these trucks for the cost of one frame off Iltis. The single biggest issue will be removing the multiple layers of CARC paint. I see lots of paint stripper in my future lol.

Upon my initial purchase it was more than I really wanted to pay but in the end it turned out to be good deal since the only major problems with the truck are the truck body sheet metal issues. And those are cheap parts to replace.

Matthew
Old 07-03-10, 20:27
Gilles Chartrand

Hi Matthew Iam really happy that the purchased turned out so good, and that the truck runs well. The truck came from the Niagara area and has done 3 oversea tours. it belonged to a reserve unit. You are absolutely right about the repairs and the cost is very cheap, that's the nice thing about the Chevs\GMC, aftermarket parts are very cheap.
I recently bought a M1010 ambulance in the US exactly the same as yours, the body was perfect nothing to do except give it a new coat of paint so I thought. Eastern Surplus checked it over and I ended up changing the dash,the radiator, all new belts, new front calipers, new hydro booster, new master cylinder, new rear brakes, all new rear lines cost $2600 labour included. When you go over the truck make sure to check the anti freeze to make sure that it contains no transmisssion fluid. Mine had a small hole in the bottom half of the rad and the tranny fluid was seeping into the upper rad
I paid the M1010 $3200 + 2600= $5800. Pricey for me no because the ambulanmce is being given to my wife on her birthday. (ex-medic).
If you run across that dual alternator I would be interested in getting one as the amb I have is only 12V. Welcome to the club. As soon as I give mine to my wife I will post pictures, please do the same when you get a chance.
We have to have more voices in the post war vehicle section. Gilles
Old 07-03-10, 21:41

Hi Gilles

Next Time I'm out at the acerage (should be Tuesday) I'll take some more pictures and of the alternator and the mounting bracket. The bracket looks like the stock one was modified to fit the Alt. As for the Alternator I imagine you should be able to get it off the shelf as it is a Delco Remy Alternator and does not look that old. I will look for a part number on it for ya Gilles. It also looks to be a single wire type hook up. Well 3 in this case. Ground wire, 24V charge wire, 12v charge wire,
Which in my opinion is a far better set up than having 2 alternators a 12v and 24V.

The truck will eventually get stripped right down to nuts and bolts sand blasted or paint stripped, painted and built back up, the engine and the rest of the drive line will get new seals and gaskets as well. After 24 years the engine will need all new gaskets and it will allow me to check the bottom end bearings, and check the cylinder walls for any signs of pitting from long periods of being idle.
Also the axel gearing will be changed up to a more streetable 3.73 ratio

After that is done I can turn my attention to stripping the paint off the van body and searching out some of the missing items (stetchers etc)

I'm fortunet that I can all the work myself except actual application of the exterior paint. I have accsess to a hoist so for me the rebuild is more of a time investment than a dollars one.

In any one has the history of this unit it would be appreciated.
I belive the CFR is 77626

Gilles I'm curious how you knew it was deployed overseas.

Matthew
Old 08-03-10, 00:21

Have you consider instead of paying heaps for stripper and all the associated problems, that you use soda stripping as a clean and tidy way of seeing the finished product as it progresses.

It could be less expensive than conventual paint removal and I believe is really a good way of getting rid of multi layers of paint.

Just a thought that might help.

All the best

Col
Old 08-03-10, 00:48
Gilles Chartrand

The soda blaster is a good media better than silica sand, I know the system quite well as i introduced the system in the CF when I was an LCMM. The latest thing in media blasting is dry ice. It strips very well and leaves absolutly no residue.
The big question how did I know it had been deployed? I have a friend in the Niagara area who sent me pictures of the same M1010 about 6 weeks before it was sold off, and he gave me the history. Create a post and some of the members serving will research it through the DND system and they will give you a real precise history.
I would really appreciate the part number for the alternator. Thanks Gilles