MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 06-09-18, 02:38

John,
Next installment. Outer wall of bustle is vertical despite apparent angle in first photo.
Malcolm

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00654 cropped.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	851.0 KB
ID:	102031

Name:	DSC00655 cropped.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	539.0 KB
ID:	102032
Old 06-09-18, 02:40

Fantastic Malcolm!

Thanks Again

John
Old 06-09-18, 20:23

The grenade boxes are usually lined with thick felt, and on the exterior have a stencil stating to fill the bottom with cotton waste to pack the grenades to a reachable height inside the box, depending on which grenade type is being stowed.

Interesting the IR basket is mounted with bolts to lugs on Canadian Cents. The original Brit design was on pins so the (empty) basket could be lifted off. I also notice the internal bracing, which was a modification to overcome the basket sagging from over-loading.

Mike
Old 11-09-18, 03:55

John,
The first pic is an overview so you can make sense of what I'm posting (I hope).
The next three are the left hand side of the basket with dimensions.

Do you have the same lugs welded to the turret?

Malcolm

Name:	DSC00661.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	484.0 KB
ID:	102127

Name:	DSC00659 cropped.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	527.4 KB
ID:	102128

Name:	DSC00644 cropped.jpg
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	102129

Name:	DSC00657 cropped.jpg
Size:	468.4 KB
ID:	102130

Last edited by Malcolm Towrie; 11-09-18 at 04:02.
Old 12-09-18, 17:46

Malcolm

looks like a variety of different brackets, but re-creating those will be simple, great blueprints! Much appreciated!

Regards
John
Old 14-09-18, 03:42

John,
Last installment, the IR spotlight storage part (you don't have to have one spare, do you??)
I measured the tubing diameter with calipers. It's 1.260", so it's 1-1/4" tubing rather than 1" pipe.
There is good symmetry in support frames mounted radially to the turret. The two end ones are pretty well the same dimensions, with one having diamond mesh. The two inner supports are the same except for the angle brace being moved on the left one.

Good luck.
Malcolm

Name:	DSC00657 cropped.JPG
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	102228

Name:	DSC00635 cropped.JPG
Size:	926.4 KB
ID:	102229

Name:	DSC00649.jpg
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	102230
Old 15-09-18, 03:39

Thanks Malcolm! Is it the IR light you need? I may have a line on another

Regards
John
Old 15-09-18, 05:35

John, PM sent.
Malcolm
Old 05-03-19, 02:04

I was a tech with the RCD in Germany, '74-'78. The Centurions went away and the leased Leos came aboard. If I remember correctly, there was a team from the Israeli Defence Force sniffing around the Cents at that time. In addition, I just spoke to a buddy who was part of the team that prepared and loaded Canadian based Centurions on a ship for Israel in the '80's. Guess all the Centurions didn't go to Switzerland after all; imagine that!
Old 05-03-19, 14:01
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford A. Logan View Post
I was a tech with the RCD in Germany, '74-'78.
Welcome Clifford. Any photographs from your time in Germany? All stories are welcome.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 04-04-19, 22:44

Default Cent Pix

Hi Dan,

During the time I was "taking the Queen's shilling" I was an avid AFV/softskin vehicle photo-nut. Unfortunately, after I bailed out in '91, I sold half a dozen albums worth of pix I took or traded with buddies around the world including those from my time in NWE. Only have about three Centurion related pix remaining. Depict an MRT job to change out a metadyne at Beausejour and Bergen Hohne circa '70 during my first tour with 4 Maint Coy.

My '74-'78 tour with the Dragoons was one of the highlights of my career, sort of a dream come true. Started with FALLEX 74 as B Sqn. FCS Tech crewing 28C with "Joe Joe the Wildman" MacIntyre. Rained for 40 days and 40 nights, not a good time to be driving a 113! There are some action photos of Joe and I attending 24B during a breakdown, featured in the Library and Archives Canada photo collection along with a bunch of other great Centurion related pic during Reforger 74.

A story that comes to mind is the time the Cent fell off the flat car at the rail head in Lahr; that was a bit of a challenge for the recovery gang to be sure. I'd been promoted and shifted to HQ Sqn. by then so wasn't involved. Got stuck into the Leo loan training program subsequently and that's another story.
Old 04-04-19, 23:06
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford A. Logan View Post
...at Beausejour and Bergen Hohne circa '70 during my first tour with 4 Maint Coy.
Clifford,

Thanks for replying back.

You didn't mention being up north with the 'real Army' in the 70's. Did you make the trek from Beausejour to Lahr in October '70? Who was the armoured regiment CO when you were there? Did you witness the rebadging in June '70?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 15-04-19, 02:43

Default Nwe

Hi again Dan,

I was posted to 4 Maint Coy in Ft. Chambly in Nov. '69. One of my duties was as a Mobile Repair Team member thus the second line task of changing out Centurion FVGCE metadynes when they fail. Got to do the last Sennelager ftx at which 3 Mech Cdo Regt. was stood up; rained like a *****! Did the great gypsy caravan trek down the autobahn to Lahr in Fall of 70. Did some more metadyne and rotary base junction box changes in Lahr.

Posted to the Dragoons in time for Fallex 47/Reforger 74. Lt.Col. Dangerfield was the CO at the time, as I remember. I worked with B Sqn. during FALLEX then sent back on course to Borden where I was promoted to Sgt. and thus on return to Lahr, got stuck into HQ Sqn. Did the Ypres/Nijmegen Marches then in the fall, was involved with the Leopard Loan event. Attended a Bundeswehr tech school for training on the Leo 1 electrical/electronics systems. Turned this knowledge into a course for 1st and 2nd Line techs and taught same along with a WO from Maint Coy. Was then tasked to go as a tech QA rep to the Bundeswehr depot workshop where the Loan Leos were being refurbed after being withdrawn from an Bundeswehr armoured unit and prior to being issued to us. In '77, I was tasked as the FCS team leader for the RCD CAT Trophy team which they subsequently won. The interesting things about that was that the Leo 1 had a huge stereoscopic (?) rangefinder which our guys just couldn't quite come to grips with. So, if I remember correctly, one of the burly tankers came up with the brilliant idea of jury- rigging a sight using a washer and piece of rod that could be used as a quick fix aiming point. That could be bumkum but that's as I remember it.

Rotated back to Canada in '78; end of RCD saga.

My apologies to those readers expecting Centurion related war stories but next time I'll reveal what happened in '73 when the Armoured Squadron at the Combat Arms School in Gagetown received some rebuilt
Centurions from 202 Workshop. The story starts with the unit welder being tasked to take his torch and disable an equal number of Centurions that were being replaced. The reburbs and junkers were parked side by each. Later.