MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 17-07-06, 22:50
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default 24 volt solid state turn signals

Hi All:

My electrical knowledge being somewhat limited I am turning to this wonderful forum in hopes someone can help out.

The 24 volt solid state turn signal flasher unit (part #11613631) in my M38A1 Cdn3 is the same as in my M151A1. These are the 4 inch square boxy units with the cooling fins all over them.

Some small short somewhere in my turn signal system fried the M38A1 flasher.

Silly Mike; I found the short, but only after borrowing the flasher out of the M151A1 and connecting it up to the M38A1... you guessed it... two flashes and plllplpllhf! that one stopped working as well.

Three questions arise:

How can I protect the obviously sensitive flasher from such 'frying' in the future?

Are they repairable or is it plug and play?

Any one know of a source as I now need two!

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 18-07-06, 02:47
carrier mech

There was a modification on the M151A2 where a inline fuse was installed on the 467 wire to protect the flasher and components from such damage. The fuse was 5 amps. Details are located in CFTO C30-105-000/CF-008.

If you cannot find the solid state flashers, a normal thermal flasher can be wired in place quite easily. You have to cut off the 3 wire conector, and run the two wires to the prongs of a two prong flasher. 24 volt thermal flashers are commercially available.

I have a number of the solid state flashers in storage somewhere, but it will be a while before I can get to them. The same flashers are still in use today, on the MLVW and the last of the M113s.
Old 18-07-06, 22:43

Default Flashing good info

Hi Rob:

Thanks for the info. I'll put a fuze in as described. While waiting for the proper bits I'm going to jury rig a spare old style flasher out of a Deuce.

You might want to dig those flasher units out... the best price I found online was $38.61 Cdn from S and S Truck Parts in Mississaugua. Some quotes were as high as $80 US!

Arte et Marte!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 20-07-06, 22:17

Default Bless You Rob!

Hi Rob: Thanks again for the explanation on the fusing for the turn signal circuit.

We couldn't find wire 467 so we cross referenced to the various lists for light switches and turn signals and worked out that the fuse could also go in the "B" wire from the turn signal switch to the flasher. Glad we did as the right front turn signal still had an undiscovered short in it... plplplpffth! One 5 cent fuse fried instead of a 36 dollar flasher. Fixed the short and everything works great!

Next time I'm in the Home station or the next time you're in Ottawa I'll buy you a well deserved pint (or two!)

Thanks, Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 21-07-06, 00:50
carrier mech

The 467 number comes right out of the CFTO. It may be exclusive to the M151A2. If I recall correctly, it is wire number 460/461 on the M38A1. This is the power wire which runs from the light switch to the signal harness.
The B wire will work almost as well, as long as the short isn't in that wire.
The contacts inside the signal arms are also susceptable to getting burnt. This is indicated when you have something like the left signal light work, but not the left brake light (they are the same light bulb).

Glad it helped you out Mike. Guess theres a reason why I keep all these old CFTOs around.