MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 07-10-15, 19:51

Default antenna angle mounting for WS19

Hello there,

Sorry if this has been covered before. I tried searching the various topics but because I don't know the correct nomenclature, I was sort of stabbing in the dark.
A couple of weeks ago I saw a nifty little antenna component on a Dingo and now I want one but I don't know what it's called. Basically you have the HF side conical antenna base, then atop is a secondary part which will allow you to angle your longer antenna to anything from about 15 degrees to almost parallel with the ground.
I think I could really use one of those to angle my antenna back enough to help glide thru tree branches when I'm on the move. The rubber on my base isn't flexible at this point so I'm afraid of cracking it when mobile.
Can somebody please tell me the correct nomenclature for that part so I may begin searching ebay or begging others for it? I'm pretty sure referencing it as the antenna angle doo-hickey will raise moderate umbrage from real WS19 folks.

Thanks for your help,

Chris
Old 07-10-15, 20:28
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

I think you are referring to ZA27220 which is an adapter that is serrated in the middle allowing the assembly to be loosened and rotated. This is a post war Larkspur item. Check out the link to see if it is what you mean.

http://store.cbeagle.co.uk/larkspur-...tenna-adapter/
Old 07-10-15, 20:42

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for the quick reply. That looks darn close to what I saw. Given that the larkspur was post war, does that mean there was no WWII equivalent for the WS19 antenna? I would be very sad, nay crushed. http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/im...s/banghead.gif

Regards,

Chris
Old 07-10-15, 21:39
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Looking further into this item I checked the bible (Wireless for the Warrior Vol. 2)
and found it was used with command vehicles and the 15CWT radio truck. As it predates Larkspur I would think you're good to go with WW2 period.
Old 07-10-15, 21:42
Junior Password Gnome

It's "Adapter, Aerial Base, No.1", and is a late WW2 designed piece of equipment. (The WS62 has stores codes in the ZA.3xxxxx range and was definitely around in WW2 according to WftW Volume 2.)

Anyway, the adapter was such a useful bit of kit that I think it is still around today - it was definitely used with Larkspur HF sets, and almost certainly with Clansman . The early ones will be stamped with the ZA.27220 stores code, and the later ones with the last 7 digits (two groups) of the NATO Stock Number.

Chris
Old 07-10-15, 21:47
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce MacMillan View Post
Looking further into this item I checked the bible (Wireless for the Warrior Vol. 2)
and found it was used with command vehicles and the 15CWT radio truck. As it predates Larkspur I would think you're good to go with WW2 period.
Be careful that you don't get the "Adapter, Aerial, No.5" that was used on the command vehicles! That is huge (and rigid) because it fits Aerial Base No.16 (which is Aerial Base No.3 on top of the giant "Insulator W/T 'H'") that takes "D" rods or the 34' sectional mast.

The No.5 takes two 'F' rods to produce a sloping Vee antenna and is not adjustable.

Chris.
Old 07-10-15, 23:22
Bluebell

Chris, do you have a photo of this?

Chris and Bruce:
With respect, reading this radio section drives me nuts, because of the lack of pictures. My radio knowledge is very little and I often lack a start point.
It sounds like you guys could strip a 19 set down and re assemble it with a blind fold on, but many people here, have no idea what one is.

To quote Tony Smith (either one) "This thread is is no good without (permanent) pictures"

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 07-10-15, 23:43
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Chris, do you have a photo of this?
No, but I will rummage one out and see what I can do about that.

I think a photo library would be a useful thing to have, and intend to do something about that once I get the current problems sorted out.

I am, as they say, working on it.

Chris.
Old 08-10-15, 01:49
Brian Asbury

Chris: I have these antenna pivots here in Canada: it may save on postage compared to overseas. You can PM me if interested .. Brian

Last edited by BCA; 08-10-15 at 14:54.
Old 08-10-15, 10:38
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Chris and Bruce:
With respect, reading this radio section drives me nuts, because of the lack of pictures. My radio knowledge is very little and I often lack a start point.
It sounds like you guys could strip a 19 set down and re assemble it with a blind fold on, but many people here, have no idea what one is.
To quote Tony Smith (either one) "This thread is is no good without (permanent) pictures"
Chris and I have a very strong interest in military comms so we focus on that. It's no different from people here who can tell a Ford axle from a Chevy one at 100 yards on a foggy day.

There are several resources in print that can help. For Canadian WS19 stuff document 3834, F226 on the VMARS site ( http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archive/files_index.htm ) gives a pictorial breakdown and lists part numbers. We've mentioned a series of books called "Wireless for the Warrior" which covers just about all WW1, WW2 & post war wireless sets. Not cheap but a must have for the game.

If you are a member of the WS19 group here in the UK you'll find a wealth of documents. You must belong (free) to download.
http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/
Old 08-10-15, 17:03

Holy smokes, you guys are awesome. Thanks for all of the info and such a quick turn around. In terms of getting to know the WS-19 it never ceases to amaze me how many components and variations are out there. Just when I think I learned something I come to find out I haven't even scratched the surface.
It's funny, I didn't even know these various mounting bases were supposed to be flexible until I saw newsreel footage of a British tank spinning his turret around and bending over the antenna by the base and watching it spring back. I guess the ones I have are just so old and brittle the idea of them being flexible when knew never crossed my mind.
In fact, I just found out yesterday that, much to my chagrin, I seem to have busted the top of my short rubber aerial base on the pogo stick because my SW antenna must've hit a tree branch. Basically the molded rubber top has separated from the metal disc into which my antenna screws in. Don't know if I described that well enough. So I guess I'll have to run out there with some two part expoxy and glue that back. So much for flexibility.
At any rate, thanks again. I'm going to drop Brian an email about perhaps obtaining one from him.

Best Regards,

Chris P (too many Chris' on here apparently)
Old 09-10-15, 03:11
Geoff Truscott

Adaptors Aerial Base No.1 ZA 27220

Old 11-10-15, 12:23

I tried to order one on line from that Beagle firm last Wednesday. But the shipping charge in UK of £11.60 by courier seemed over the top. So I sent an email to them asking if they could just post it in a simple jiffy bag for 2-3 quid, but no reply yet. Ron
Old 11-10-15, 18:51
Brian Asbury

They must be price matching: £15 plus about £12 shipping = £27 is just a bit more than from Canada:$US 20 plus $20 for the air small packet = $us40 =£26.
No room for arbitrage here! ..... Brian