MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 20-05-21, 17:51

Default My new book is on the 25-pdr

My new book, Fire! The 25-pdr in Australian Service, covers in detail the various forms of the 25-pdr manufactured in Australia - as a field gun, self-propelled gun, a jungle pack gun, and a tank gun. There is also a chapter on the development of the Australian 17/25-pdr, a stepping stone on the way to the Australian 17-pdr anti-tank gun. Other chapters cover the ammunition trailer, and the introductory chapters provide details of the 25-pdr's predecessors, the 18-pdr and 4.5-inch howitzer.

Just as important as the gun itself is the ammunition, and I provide details of the ammunition, the various types including those developed in Australia, how and where the ammunition was manufactured and how it was packed for storage and shipment.

Professional artist Krystii Melaine (www.krystiimelaine.com) has done a fantastic job of the many colour illustrations of ammunition markings and cross sectional views. Ok, yes, I'll admit I'm married to her, so I might just have had some preferential treatment, but the many, many hours Krystii put into the images has resulted in a truly unique set of illustrations.

I'm very grateful to Major General Paul Stevens, a highly experienced gunner, for writing the Foreword, and to the many contributors for their expertise and access to their collections and images. A couple are members of MLU.

The publisher, Trackpad Publishing, has done a magnificent job of designing the book. Below is the cover and under that a link to the flier from Trackpad. Pre-orders are now being taken via the Trackpad website at https://www.trackpadpublishing.com/fire-the25-pounder

Enjoy!

Mike

Click image for larger version

Name:	CVR_TP015_HB P2D.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	122084 Trackpad FIRE! flier.pdf
Old 21-05-21, 02:25

Default Availability

I originally posted this as a 'Heads Up' as the book is not available direct from me, only from the publisher's website and the publisher's authorised sellers.

So those wishing to obtain a copy, please contact the publisher via the website quoted in the first post, or for those in Australia, Ronnels Hobbies in Qld, to order your copy. The link to Ronnels can be found on the publisher's page.

Thanks

Mike
Old 21-05-21, 05:10

Looks like an excellent finished product Mike. There is a great sampling of pages on the publisher's website. Well done!
Old 21-05-21, 05:41

Thanks Wayne.

So there are! Hadn't seen that until now, thanks for alerting me (and others).

Mike
Old 21-05-21, 08:04
MLU Administrator

Default For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
I originally posted this as a 'Heads Up' as the book is not available direct from me, only from the publisher's website and the publisher's authorised sellers.
Mike, as per When to use "For Sale" or "Heads Up": ""For Sale" is to be used for items you post for sale on your own behalf"
Old 21-05-21, 16:56
MLU Administrator

Hello Mike,

I viewed the table of contents and the sample pages on the publisher's website. The drawings by your spouse look great.

Personally I am most interested in the SP Guns section, so I may put it on my wanted list if it contains new information.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5076e8_d1f4771893744da9803c8dabcb4d2107~mv2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	122098
Old 23-05-21, 18:05

Hi Hanno,

Thanks for your comments about Krystii's work. She did a fantastic job. Of course, I'm not the first or only person to write about the Yeramba, indeed, I've published articles on the Yeramba before. As I don't know the extent of your research into the subject, I don't know if there is any information in that chapter which is not already known to you.

All I can say is that the chapter is based upon my examination of the available surviving archive files, the various handbooks, interviews with former members of the regiment that operated them, examination of surviving examples, a collection of images from official sources (both Army and the ordnance factory that built them) and images taken privately by former members of the regiment. I'd like to think it is a pretty comprehensive chapter and appendix, but the final decision on that will, of course, rest with readers.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 23-05-21 at 18:29.
Old 23-05-21, 18:27

Default For Australian readers ...

I've just found out that the email address listed on the contact page of Ronnel's Hobbies in Queensland, who will be stocking the book, is incorrect. The correct contact email is:

ron@ronnelshobbies.com.au

Regards

Mike
Old 16-06-21, 17:25

Default Book Review ...

First review of the new book:
Attached Thumbnails
200846649_212190507421853_2787188181911885797_n.jpg  
Old 27-06-21, 19:44

Default Now available.

The completed books have now arrived with the publisher from printing, and are being sent out this coming week.

Most of the first printing are already sold, so if you are contemplating a copy, you'd best not delay in placing your order.

Mike
Old 01-08-21, 16:22

Default Comments on the book

These comments were posted to the HMVF forum by Damien Allan, a long time Australian collector and restorer of artillery. I don't think he'll mind me re-posting them here:

Quote:
"1. An excellent technical description of the gun and its production variants. Well laid out and well illustrated.
2. A detailed description of the production history of the gun, trailer and ammo, including the contractors and sub contractors. I found this especially interesting, as I am keen on industrial history amongst other things. My own research has not drilled down to the same levels, so I was pleased to see references to the subcontractors' trades and products. It certainly filled in a few gaps in my knowledge
3. Good summary of operational history and salient examples without trying to be a full regimental history. Generally tells us what the regimental issues were where the guns were used.
4. Great narrative stringing all of the production, design, trials and operational info together , as well as the personalities involved. Makes a potentially dry list of facts come alive into an interesting read. (BAMs interaction with Kirby a case in point. Kirby was rather preoccupied with aircraft engine production, so he was drinking through the proverbial fire hose for other war effort projects. Still, his taking on the 25 Pr recuperator was something he should have avoided with hindsight).
5. In 239 pages, info is densely packed and covers every conceivable angle of 25Pr from artillery to tank use. Good value for money IMHO.
6. Comprehensive referencing and end notes. A readable book for anyone interested in the subject, with academic rigor. I like the publications list ��
7. On arcane points, I was uncertain as to why Ruwolts marked the saddle data plate No.11 Mark. 1, for what should have been marked No.2 Mk.I, (was there a No.11 saddle I didn't know about?) but I was pleasantly surprised that you covered that point. As you say, the standard way of marking is to have model Number (No.) in Hindu-Arabic, and Mark (Mk.) number in Roman numerals. This was done by GMH and everyone else in the British arsenal system. I agree that Ruwolts have intended to use Roman numerals (II) where they should have used a '2', but on short 25 Reg. A8, Ruwolts they have been cheeky and used a '1' instead of a 'I' stamp. Maybe it allowed Charles Ruwolt to economise on stamps! Glad I've cleared that up now....

Overall Mike, thanks for writing this book for us artillery aficionados, it is a cracker. I cannot see anyone being bothered to write another book on the subject, as there would be little extra to write about unless they went to the same level of detail on UK and Canadian production. That said, I think your book would cover off on that to the satisfaction of the vast majority of the readership."
Old 04-08-21, 13:35

Default A book to match the excellence of the 25-pdr

Few pieces of military hardware are remembered with affection and respect by their users. The 25-pdr is a rare exception. It stands with such as the Spitfire, the Jeep and the Dakota as equipment whose form, function, performance and reliability outlasted the competition and cemented an enduing reputation as one of the greats of military technology. Artillerymen regard their guns with the respect due to a colour or standard. The 25-pdr stands in a league of its own.

Gunners celebrated the 25-pdr for “Reliability, sturdiness, steadiness and accuracy”. From the perspective of the supported arms, it's not the size of the bang which matters, it's the confidence that when you call for fire, it's going to land where you intend and not kill you. The 25-pdr was able to deliver rounds at "Danger Close" reliably and with confidence. No wonder it was much loved.

Amongst users of the 25-pdr, perhaps the Australians made the most extensive, innovative and effective use. Their record of operational service in many theatres, from the Western Desert, Malaya, SW Pacific to Malaya again during the post WW2 Emergency. Mike Cecil describes in detail the British built guns in Australian service, the industrial and technical challenges of setting up indigenous production and goes on to provide a unique account of Australian development of the "Stubbie", the 25-pdr Short, a 25-pdr "Lite", optimised for use in the jungles of the SW Pacific. The "Stubbie" sacrificed some of the 25-pdr's legendary accuracy and range but was used to considerable effect, even being parachuted, into the jungles of New Guinea. One of the most striking and emotive photos in the book shows a 25-pdr Short being manhandled up the Kokoda Trail, a precursor to one of Australia's defining military victories.

I found the industrial aspects intriguing, particularly the unfortunate performance of Mr Kirby and his reluctant and ineffectual contribution to Australian war production - as the author indicates, his mind and his company were elsewhere.

He also covers the fascinating story of the adaptation of the weapon as a tank gun, in the Australian AC3 Sentinel Cruiser tank. The bulky carriage of the gun limited gun depression, vital to shooting from a hull-down position and he describes how the overhead carriage was developed to overcome this handicap.

Australia mirrored a number of Imperial and Commonwealth armament programmes, with local adaptations. Mike covers the 17/25-pdr anti-tank gun (a parallel development of the Pheasant in British service) and the Yeramba Self-Propelled 25-pdr, otherwise known to Army Quartermasters as the ‘Ordnance QF 25-pounder Mark 2/1 on Mounting Self-Propelled 25-pounder (Aust) Mark 1 on Carrier, Grant, SP 25-pounder (Aust) Mark1’. You couldn't make it up. Based on the M3 Grant/Lee, this development was inspired by the successful Canadian Sexton.

The price of the book reflects the many years of research Mike has put into it and the very high production values the publisher has delivered. The book is printed on high quality paper and the illustrations and technical illustrations are crystal clear and well colour balanced. Mike has researched and captioned all the photos in great detail and it makes for a book which is a delight to handle, browse and read. The technical illustrations by Krystii Melaine are just superb. The book is worth the price for the illustrations alone.

The author is a former Head of Military Heraldry and Collections at the Australian War Memorial and has a long and successful record of research and authorship. He has delivered a definitive book on one of the most significant weapons to be developed, one which reveals why the 25-pdr achieved such an outstanding reputation.

In the end, weight of fire did for the 25-pdr. In many respects, it was better than its 105mm successors but the need for longer ranges and bigger bangs lead to standardisation on 155mm as the benchmark for field artillery.

On 17th July 1992, a veteran Gunner called for fire from a 25-pdr manned by the Honourable Artillery Company on the UK training area on Salisbury Plain. His previous fire order had opened the barrage at Alamein, 50 years earlier. It was fitting that on this final live firing of the 25 Pdr, he was airborne in a WW2 Air Observation Post Auster aircraft. I was fortunate to be the pilot on that occasion and could see how much the gun meant to those who operated it. The Austers were picketed for the night on the Plain - the wake for the 25 Pdr lasted long into the night.

Highly Recommended
Old 11-08-21, 17:58

Default Reprints available 18 August

Well, for those of you who purchased a copy of the first print run, the publisher and I thank you.

For those of you who missed out the good news is that the first reprint is in progress, and will be available from Trackpad Publishers from 18 August.

Orders are being accepted by the publisher now.

Mike