MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 24-04-11, 16:49
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Default ILTIS radio setup info sought

hello
seeking photos and/or diagrams of the rt-524 era radios set-up in Canadian Iltis.
also anything related which would be dash mounted,..

My Iltis has the TCCCS holder on the dash, but this is post rt-524 set up so it is not part of the 524 era heritage comms.

cheers
<btw have radio doghouses for sale.
Old 24-04-11, 18:24
MUTT Guy

With the 524, you most likely at most would have had an LS-454U Loudspeaker mounted to the Dash right were the holes are. That's about it really, if there was even that. Every install I ever used consisted of the Radio(s) in the back mounted in/on a Doghouse with the Handmike(s) clipped with hanger wire hooks taped to the Roll Cage between the Driver and Passenger. This was with a Reg Force Unit. Militia drove around with 77 Sets sitting in the back with the 10' Antenna poking out the top of the back door opening. I kid you not. 2060 Trays with 77 Sets were almost exclusively used in Section Vehicles like M113s or MLVWs used as Troop Carriers, where the occupants were likely to dismount.*

When TCCCS came along, things were a tad more refined and the CI Boxes allowed items like Speakers, Handsets, Headsets, PLGRs etc to plugged directly into them on the Dash rather than strung through the Cab.*

The VRC-12 (RT-524) system has a C-2299 that can be used in the same manner as a CI Box, but I never saw one in any of the Iltis I used in Canada or Overseas.*
Old 24-04-11, 18:28
MUTT Guy

I actually found the VRC-12 install instructions/CFTOs for the Iltis when I was hunting around "Documentum" for M151 info. I'll see if I can find them again when I'm back on Tuesday.
Old 26-04-11, 17:40
MUTT Guy

Mont,

Here are a couple of pics I was able to find. The only "digitized" pubs I ended up having was the TSEC/Vincent to VRC-46 Install Manual and the CFTO for TCCCS Install (Mat Tech portion).

So, as you can see, there is the layout for a Dual IKEE c/w VINCENT. Not sure if they left the IKEE Power Boxes in back of the Iltis' when they auctioned them, but i'd imagine you'll need one of those as well if you want your install to be "Correct". It wasn't til I saw it in the picture that I remembered having to run around to the back everytime I started or stopped the Engine or else risk "Dumping the Crypto".

Scotty
Attached Thumbnails
New Picture.jpg   New Picture (4).jpg  
Old 26-04-11, 17:44
MUTT Guy

I also have AN/GRC-106A Install pics if there are any HF lovers out there....
Old 26-04-11, 17:51
MUTT Guy

Mont,

Here is a page from the CFTO showing where to drill holes in the Dash for the Loudspeaker Bracket and Control Indicator Mount.
Attached Thumbnails
New Picture (7).jpg  
Old 27-04-11, 13:34
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Hey Scotty thats great. Explains the holes and why they were pulled out and not simply ''unscrewed''

thanks also for the history..looks like my jeep criss-crossed the country before heading off to Bosnia. gagetown, edmonton chilliwack, calgary edmonton kingston -bosnia