MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 05-06-05, 04:13
Dog Robber

Default The Estonia Incident

This one is for Stellan:

Stellan, as a military man, do you have any insight on the sinking of the car ferry in, I believe 1994 that was supposedly carrying military contraband from possibly Ukraine to Sweden?

I will not post all the links here, there are too many, but it is a marvelous conspiracy theory. One site has the materiel bound for Iraq via about 4 different countries, another that it was bound for Sweden, another that the Swedish military had various agreements with the Swedish Customs Authorities that certain ships and certain cargos were to be let through with no examination.

Apparently, some 900 passengers perished as a result of some sort of explosion which I gather was related to the contraband cargo and as of this year, 2005, there is no definitive response from official authorities as to what actually happened.

I just realized, I put this in the wrong sub forum but since I have already typed it in I will let someone else move it to whatever the proper sub forum might be.

Or, maybe it does not belong on MLU at all, but it is a very interesting story as I am sure Stellan will tell us.

Bill
Old 05-06-05, 08:23
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: The Estonia Incident

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray
Or, maybe it does not belong on MLU at all, but it is a very interesting story as I am sure Stellan will tell us.
Bill, I don't mind the odd benign off-topic discussion (this is a community after all), but would like to steer away from those more prone to stirring up shit. Carry on, sir.
Old 05-06-05, 14:30
Dog Robber

Morning Geoff:

Actually, I realize this is out of place on this forum, but...
I was doing a google on Estonian automotive history for a project on another forum and this thing popped up

Just as an intellectual exercise it is a doozy and I am surprised no one has written a book or even done a film on it. One of the more convoluted conspiracy stories I have even seen.

Even if no one comments, here is the link and it will provide hours of interesting reading for anyone with the time to read it. I was hooked and spent about three hours on the story yesterday.

http://heiwaco.tripod.com/ekatastrofkurs.htm that should get you there or close and it is in English as well as Swedish.

Not trying to stir any pots, honest.
Cheers
Bill
Old 05-06-05, 22:28
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Just as an intellectual exercise it is a doozy and I am surprised no one has written a book or even done a film on it. One of the more convoluted conspiracy stories I have even seen.
Bill, will read the linked story later.
I am surprised by the lack of attention too. Why did they try to literally cover up the wreck of the Estonia?!? It canīt be to "bury" the dead, there are thousands of ship wrecks with remains of the crew present.... Hmm...

H.
Old 05-06-05, 23:26
Dog Robber

Well, Hanno, it is a million kilometers off our usual subject matter and in my opinion, a mistake for me to have brought it up.
Funny, Jiff apparently deleted the response where I asked for the whole thing to be deleted but not the whole thing.
Another conspiracy theory?????
Cheers
Bill
Old 05-06-05, 23:29
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Funny, Jiff apparently deleted the response where I asked for the whole thing to be deleted but not the whole thing.
I noticed that...remember, being paranoid does not mean no-one isnīt following you!

Cheers,
Hanno
Old 06-06-05, 00:16
Dog Robber

I think I am going to find my well oiled Ruger .22 semi automatic rifle that I hide from my grandchildren and put it under my bed tonight.

I am sure there was a film about this, someone brought up an incident that powerful governments wanted kept hidden, and that site was well hidden, and they were hunted down by the bad guys. I lived in Sweden but I do not remember if they had an equivelant to my country's CIA. At least I speak Swedish, so if I hear some guys lurking around my house speaking Swedish I will know to blast away.

The thread may have some comical value, if nothing else.
Bill
Old 06-06-05, 00:24
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Another conspiracy theory?????
Cheers
Bill
Are you sure it was Geoff, not "Them"?
Old 13-07-05, 08:09
RIP

Default Estonia

Personally I do not beleive in a conspiracy. I happened to be out there on that night but on another ship en route from S:t Petersburg to Stockholm. It was rough weather.

I have head that Estonia was carrying military equipment that was optical sights and electronics.

The Swedish Government reacted in panic. The Swedish PM promised to salve the ship! He then forgot 1) that the ship was not Swedish but Estonian, and 2) that the ship had sunk not in Swedish but International waters.

Estonia is a difficult question.